Fighters that failed to hold on to their superstar status?

I don't think I've ever seen a fighter with this much level of hype behind him die. You had Huerta but it's still not really comparable. I don't think there has ever been a crash and burn like this in UFC history if Conor actually lost. You're going to see a lot of delusional people in disbelief if he fights Aldo and loses. That's the level of madness we're at.

No doubt. I know a lot of it's trolling but I'm surprised at the amount of senior members here who seem to have bought into this hype. It's mind boggling and sometimes makes me wonder if I'm missing something about this guy.
Yeah, he looks great but he hasn't fought anyone who I'd consider elite. Being truthful, I said the same thing about Jones and foolishly thought Rua would dispatch him and snap those legs in half.
I don't fall under the hater category, more of the unsure and tomorrow's fight won't answer any of the questions I have. I guess it's a wait and see with Aldo.
In the unlikely occurrence that he loses tomorrow it's going to be a fun night on Sherdog

Both of you are right! I forgot about Roger completely!

He was undefeated in the ufc and he was dating one of the ring girls and he fought Kenny Florian as well as Gray Maynard and lost a decision against both.

Later he decided to become an actor if I am not mistaken but that never worked out and his career kind of fizzled out after few back to back loses outside the ufc.

I just don't understand how losing a decision to Kenny and Gray (top fighters at a time) could ruin his confidence that he ends up on a 4 fight losing streak outside the ufc and getting KOed badly in his last loss...

He let his ego get out of control, he was out of competition a long time between the Florian and Maynard fights, not getting the to level training he needed our the matchups that favored him

These pages were BLOWING up when Uriah Hall was KOing dudes on tuff.

I remember when some people were saying he was a threat to (the pre-UFC 162) Anderson Silva.

That must have been one of the fastest hype train derailments ever.

Muscles shouldn't factor at all. BUT... if you think that a large number of fans don't get goo-goo over physiques, you're not reading enough of the stupid comments on this site or you're simply being deceiving.

As to the point, all this or that aside, with the surging popuarity at the time of UFC100, a win would have made Alves huge.

I guess you have a point but for me, my favorite fighter is Tommy Hearns who is an amazing boxing technician and I have trained with Tony Pep and there are tons of lanky,skinny fighters that can take some bodies head off.

But the muscle factor would probably appeal to some "bro" who equates muscle with fighting skills. That being said, people in this forum seem like legit fans as oppose to some drunken fan though no?

Oh and to not derail my own thread, was Phil Baroni a superstar in his ufc heyday's?

Also, I remember Dana saying that Lawlers loss to Spratt kind of killed Robbies momentum and now his a champ!

Surprised nobody has mentioned Fedor yet.

Not sure if it's on the same level, but first person that came to mind is Machida.

Mark Kerr could have had GOAT status

Cyborg imo

Erik Koch could have been something

Stephan Bonnar

lol at Bonnar.

I always thought he is an over achiever, a tough yet very average fighter who got lucky & made it to HOF.

First page and no one has mentioned Erick Silva yet.....

Overeem had that.. until he remembered that he cannot take a glancing shot to the head

George Sotiropoulos was getting a ton of hype before he started losing. Won TUF, won his first 7 fights in the UFC, 5 by stoppage, then lost everything since. Diego might be the best answer for a guy who's remained in the UFC though.

Two good underrated picks.

Soko is another one. KO Arona and Nog = he will beat Fedor.

Barao. He was p4p #1 to some and now he is garbage according to most sherdoggers.

I have never seen a single person on this forum, even trolling, suggest that Barao is not a good fighter. Who has called him garbage?

Perhaps you are drawing that conclusion because it seems a majority of commenters think he would lose a rematch to Dillashaw?

I'm drunk so I will bite.

He's the greatest of all time? What you talking bout Willis?

Maybe talking about him becoming a huge hit in America? I mean dude conquered the world and strikeforce was his time to completely takeover america but his losses in strikeforce made Americans think he was overrated.

Dude was huge worldwide though

There's been a ton:

Marcus Aurelio, Denis Kang, Paulo Filho, Houston Alexander, Brandon Vera, Mike Swick...

I wouldnt have pegged any of these fighters as "superstars" at anytime in their careers.

I wouldnt have pegged any of these fighters as "superstars" at anytime in their careers.

Vera was big at one point.

Honestly houston Alexander is known for that 1 jardine knockout and rogans quote.

The Fedor downward spiral started happening on here with his wins over both Arlovski and Rogers before they caught the bomb. I remember the explosion of threads about Fedor getting his ass kicked by Andre even though not much happened.

People were sort of getting prepared for his loss. As a fan I could see it was around the corner. The loss to Werdum was a quiet ending imo. It could've been worse and did get worse.

Vera was big at one point.

Honestly houston Alexander is known for that 1 jardine knockout and rogans quote.

Vera did have a lot of hype at one time. But I dont think he quite reached "superstar" status.

There's been a ton:

Marcus Aurelio, Denis Kang, Paulo Filho, Houston Alexander, Brandon Vera, Mike Swick...

Swick ever going to fight again? I wa on that hype train. Kang too after Pride Tourney, but I think he's done. I guess out of that list maybe Vera can still make waves with soccer kicks and all

Back