Fighters That Are/Were Way Over-hyped

cain one of the most overrated especially when you have joe rogan calling him the best UFC HW ever on his podcast last night

so much disrespect for Stipe

According to google theses are the most over-hyped UFC fighters
dbae1-1520022758-800.jpg

usa_today_10334422.0.jpg

852c030f05ba0e03225e502e4b0d412a_crop_exact.jpg

derrick-lewis-tuf-19-finale1.jpg

WWF-Magazine-Virgil-Tribute-Issue-August-1993.png

Sage-Northcutt.png

26EC335C00000578-0-image-m-19_1427113002417.jpg

usatsi_9161408.jpg

GettyImages-176717513.0.jpg

Thought you'd just slip the Meat Sauce God Virgil in unnoticed, huh?

PAY HIM!

HW-Fedor, Brock,Cain, Overeem, Stipe
LHW-Houston Alexander, Glover, DC
MW-AS, Mousasi, Jacare, Lombard, Rockhold, Weidman
WW-Rory, Condit, Hughes(yeah I'm going there), Penn
LW-Pettis, Alvarez, Conor, Khabib, Tony(not saying Khabib or Tony are bad just that unless they are deity's walking around as people they can't really live up to the hype), Cerrone, Edgar. Last but not least BJ PENN. This guy is not a GOAT of anything.
FW-Frankie Edgar, Conor maybe
BW-Every single champion the division has ever had
FW-McCall
W135-Rhonda, Cat
W145-Cyborg

HW-Fedor, Brock,Cain, Overeem, Stipe
LHW-Houston Alexander, Glover, DC
MW-AS, Mousasi, Jacare, Lombard, Rockhold, Weidman
WW-Rory, Condit, Hughes(yeah I'm going there), Penn
LW-Pettis, Alvarez, Conor, Khabib, Tony(not saying Khabib or Tony are bad just that unless they are deity's walking around as people they can't really live up to the hype), Cerrone, Edgar. Last but not least BJ PENN. This guy is not a GOAT of anything.
FW-Frankie Edgar, Conor maybe
BW-Every single champion the division has ever had
FW-McCall
W135-Rhonda, Cat
W145-Cyborg
I’m wouldn’t put Conor for lightweight
He’s only fought there once
I very much disagree with Edgar
Cat beat Nunes

Maybe two of those are accurate. Brock was one of the best HWs of his time. Conor was the champ in two division and more thought Khabib was taking that fight. Lewis was never that hyped and everyone had DC smashing him. Everyone knew Sage and Page got their hype based off their physical attributes and waited for them to fight good competition so the train stopped. Overeem fought for multiple titles, very far from overhyped. I'd say Lee was a tad overhyped but I think Al just had his number. CM Punk was called a joke before getting smashed. This list is horrible.

Erik Silva, Uriah Hall, Darren Till, MVP, Aaron Pico Jake Shields when he went to the UFC, are fighters that come to mind although I'm not positive about Pico. Despite losing twice already he's shown promise.

Not including Brandon Vera or David Terrell is a big oversight

the only one who is/was overhyped is PVZ.

nobody thought CM Punk was gonna do anything but get slaughtered and everyone else were champions or fought for titles.

Derek Lewis is the only one who is the exact opposite of overhyped. lots of people think he only wins because everyone else sucks and the only way he got to the title was by knocking 7 out of 10 fighters he fought out with apparently punches that were pure luck.

Todd Duffee was hyped out the ass by the UFC at one point in time.
That is until he ran into the hammerfist of doom.
5BCsBckx_400x400.jpg

Darren Till. Surprised he is not #1 in this thread. Unbeaten fighter due to Team Kaoban's known padding of records with their fighters in MMA, Kickboxing and Muay-Thai (Atleast in Darren's case, padded records in all 3), beat absolute nobodies in Brazil, wins no belts outside of the UFC, pushed to the moon by the UFC and given matchups and fights catered to his style of fighting which is Stand Up with Clinch and TDD, one of Dana's golden boys, beats an unprepared Cowboy Cerrone, gets the nod in his hometown of Liverpool against Wonderboy after Darren misses weight for the 2nd time in his UFC career and that should of been a draw. Darren after the nod acts like he is the next Conor McGregor in an even more cocky and arrogant way than Conor himself, say's he doesn't deserve a title shot, but when offered it, takes it with both hands. In the leadup/build to his fight with T-Wood, acts like he's sick or ill, weight issues and annoyed with weight questions (Excuses for after the fight), basically shows up against T-Wood for the cheque, no significant strikes thrown, gets exposed for the one dimensional fraud he is LIVE ONLY ON PPV, nevermind a White Belt, a no belt could do better on the ground. Hypejob exposed. Hype train crashed and burnt like no other hype train before him. Said he was the best, and the greatest fighter in the world, ends up being the worst. They all want to be like Conor McGregor until it's time to deliver like Conor McGregor. Conor Bless. Fuck Darren.

I think getting put on a UFC PPV main card your first fight, getting owned and then getting put on another UFC PPV main card for your second fight and getting owned again constitutes being labeled as over hyped
I really want to see a third fight. Think it would be hilarious.

125: McCall
135: TJ
145: Ortega
155: Lee, McGregor
170: Perry, Till
185: Gastelum, Weidman
205: Vera, Gus
265: Lesnar, Ngannou

Back