Fighters smiling when they get hit

BigJG

3rd Degree Red Belt through Christ
@White
Reaction score
Why do fighters do this ? In my limited boxing expirience ( friends in backyards ) i smile when i get hit almost subconciously To let them know it didnt hurt . Thoughts?

Usually out of acknowledgement of the landed strike. that's why I would do it

Why do fighters do this ? In my limited boxing expirience ( friends in backyards ) i smile when i get hit almost subconciously To let them know it didnt hurt . Thoughts?

There's more than one reason.

The 1st is the reason you mentioned.

2nd, you might actually be impressed by the cleverness and surprise success of the technique landing on you. A tip of the hat

3rd, you're laughing to yourself how goofy you feel all a sudden. How ridiculous things suddenly have become when losing some of your bodily control. Kinda like if you burp fart or drool a little in public/in front of others when you really didn't expect it

4th is acknowledgement, and you are going into game mode. "Alright, party's really flowin now-- game ON my good man!"

That's mostly it but there might be more reasons for others

When Gary Goodridge did it, he really didn't care.

Unfortunately his brain did in the long run.

It also appears to be instinctive from certain people in that situation

Getting socked is shameful and this is just a reaction.

A lot of fighters smile when a punch hurts them. They are trying to brush off a serious shot by smiling but most people see the punch and smile combo as it is, a fighter who was hurt by a punch.

method%3Dget%26s%3Dbas-rutten-frank-shamrock-gif.gif

None of those slaps hurt frank. If he could've close fist hit him he wouldn't be smiling.

I remember Ruslan doing this often in his fight against Bradley. I cant remember Bradley smiling as much as Ruslan...

But it was a fun fight! I need to rewatch it soon.

I don't know, it's about the most transparent and useless ploy ever, most fighters are trying to use reverse psychology, as in "well, you hurt me but I'm gonna make you think you didn't". Pretty useless really, also, I don't believe anyone did that before Muhammad Ali did the whole shaking his head thing and the rubber legged dance, at that time, because it wasn't such a widespread practice, it worked. Joe Frazier didn't know how badly he hurt Ali in the 11th of their first fight, if he had, who knows, maybe, just maybe he could have kayoed him (although Ali was practically impossible to kayo). At any rate, it worked, Joe Frazier looked at Ali and was puzzled and did not follow up his fusillade very well. Ali did it in the Bob Foster fight when he was really hurt and many others. It's one of those things he brought to the sport which really, only he made work. Like I said, it usually means you're hurt.

I remember Katsidis practically cheering Guererro on late in their fight as he was getting his face turned into hamburger meat.

Well, maybe it's different from sparring, but when ever I would get caught in a trap, or just get fall victim to a sparring partner doing something really well, I'd smile in admiration/surprise/or just being impressed.

Back