Fighters should follow GSPs lead

Problem is their body of work they accomplished during their primes doesn't top GSP's. So they had to keep fighting to surpass him.

What an ignoramus...

Gsp couldn’t finish a single title fight in like 4 years

Guys like fedor, Anderson n jones are definitely ahead of him

Especially after he left the sport in his prime

My guess is they didn't manage their money well like gsp did and are in need of cash.
I think a guy like Silva really likes it and looks to be still having fun. Fedor though, never looked like he was in the ring/cage to have fun, as it was all business. Maybe he had a ton of fun doing it but it seemed more business like than pleasure, which I could see as his reason to keep on fighting ($$$).

GSP did it the right way, out on a high note with the fans wanting more and was always a class act.
I was a big chuck liddell fan years ago but he embarrassed himself repeatedly at the end of his career.

My guess is they didn't manage their money well like gsp did and are in need of cash.

Only a handful of fighters sell as much or more than GSP did, so it's unlikely for most fighters to follow in his footsteps.

I think we incorrectly assume older fighters soldier on for the crowd. Some of them perhaps, but just as many fight beyond their primes because fighting *is* their path. It's what they are. It sucks to see legends lose their competitive edge but at the same time I think it reinforces their desire to overcome age or mileage related adversity. The harder is it to get up in the morning, the longer it takes to heal, the loss of physical abilities-these can all coalesce into a mindset that craves one more ascent up the mountain, even if it means they will die on it. It's a hard thing to come to terms with, but being a true fan means understanding that no matter how good or untouchable a fighter may seem, his or her days are numbered, but you stick with them regardless. I feel this way about BJ Penn. He's one of my favorites, but he's struggling more than ever. I don't expect him to win anymore, but I'll still watch his fights until he decides to call it a day.

That’s a great post.

What a pessimistic perspective which totally discounts the notion that a fighter may have such passion and pride for fighting that he will continue trying even after decline.

There’s more to glean from a fighter’s career than pure W’s and L’s on a wiki table.

And glory sometimes transcends financial gain.

Totally disagree.

Losing when you’re old does nothing to affect legacy.

If Anderson, Fedor, Ken Shamrock, Sakuraba, and BJ keep fighting for the next 10 years and lose 15 straight, it doesn’t affect the body of work they accomplished in their prime.

Losing does nothing to affect the legacy? That’s EXACTLY what it does.

tenor.gif

Fedor and Anderson keep fighting because they want to retire on a meaningful win. But of course, they keep losing. And if they do get a win, they delude themselves into thinking they have another title run in them. It's a vicious cycle. GSP did it the right way with a big marquee win over a bigger champion.

Tito should have retired after KO'ing Chuck. He will probably keep fighting and tarnish that win but that was the perfect time to do it.

As an avid sports fan in general nothing makes me more sad than to see a legend of a sport try and push on well after their prime. Watching GOATs like Fedor and Anderson Silva get beat up by prospects and the Matt Mitriones of the world is painful and while it does not hurt their legacy in my opinion, it does to many others.

If this retirement sticks however, GSP did it the right way. His legacy is intact to everyone, no one will ever be able to question his accomplishments and that he was one of the best if not arguably the true GOAT of MMA. He finishes with only 2 losses, both of which he brutally avenged. WW and MW champ. Tons of title defenses. Not to mention not losing a single round for many years to anyone until he ran into pre USADA Hendrix.

As much as I enjoy watching guys like Fedor and Andy continue on in 2019, part of me wishes they had followed the same path as GSP and got out while on top.

I highly disagree.
Silva just had an amazing fight against Adesanya.
And his loss to DC was ballsy as fuck IMO.

His losses added a lot more to his stellar career than GSP putting a whole division on hold while he fought the weakest MW champion ever and then blatantly running & ducking the title unification that he signed a contract for.
Then he attempted to move down 2 divisions, leapfrogging his own division and demanding a title fight in a division he never fought (while the UFC knew he would fight then run again)...he didn't get it, so he quit.

That was pathetic and didn't add anything to his career IMO.
If he had stopped after Hendricks and never came back, it would have been better.

Last edited:
I would still love to see him fight, but just not in the same pool. prefer that guys like him just fight exhibition matches, or dream bouts with other old guard
ofcourse a canadian with less than 200 posts in 13 years posts in a GSP thread haha. just playin, he a GOAT but he couldve set himself apart from Jones, Anderson, Fedor with Ws against Khabib and Woodley.

What an ignoramus...

Gsp couldn’t finish a single title fight in like 4 years

Guys like fedor, Anderson n jones are definitely ahead of him

Especially after he left the sport in his prime

More top 5 wins than both of them combined. They would of had much less finishes too if they fought GSP's level of competition filled with guys on 10+ win streak and at the top of their primes.

Yep retire after a controversial decision. Apparently leaves cause of roids in UFC after avoiding advanced testing. UFC then implements stringent testing and GSP is nowhere to be found.

Says he is ready for a few more fights. UFC gives him the easier fight with MW Bisping than WW. GSP wins then just leaves again.

#1 bullshit

More top 5 wins than both of them combined. They would of had much less finishes too if they fought GSP's level of competition filled with guys on 10+ win streak and at the top of their primes.

Haha! What a clown!

What level of competition?

Natural lw n one dimensional ww?

The moment ww really got competitive gsp took time off.

Also look at his opponents

Most have one or two top 2 (that’s why they got ranked high) n after that fell off n were never in contention again.

Most of his “top wins” had a losing record after facing gsp

Compare that to Anderson or fedor (even Jones) opponents who were still competitive n contending after facing them.

Lol @ people thinking "legacy" is the only thing at stake for fighters sticking around too long past their prime. Ask Gary Goodridge if the "competitive spirit" was worth sticking around that long for... GSP made a lot of money, didn't take excessive damage, and is retiring on his own terms with the rest of his life to look forward to... all fighters should aim for that and not cling to the cheers of fickle "fans"

Yeah that's tough because Gary seems like a nice guy too.

In the case of Fedor... it's not even about his legacy. He clearly has brain damage considering he gets KO'd so easily now.

Back