Fighter bigger and taller guys with longer reach?

TommyHearns

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Its really hard coz in boxing it wasnt a problem coz i could slip and duck inside but every time i do that in MMA standup i get caught in clinch and kneed(not hard just to teach me not to do that). Its so hard to get inside without slipping or moving and the mat is so big u cant corner really. I cant just rush in covering up my head because i leave my body open and i have very tender ribs(which i train all the time dont just say train them). What type of strategy should i use standing up and dont say bring it to ground because he is much better groundfighter also, and i am foremost a boxer.

You can't fight from the outside because the guy has too much reach, and you can't find from the inside 'cuz you'll go to the ground and you don't want that.

Well, I'm stumped, bro.

You're gonna have to work on your clinching and defense in the clinch.

I would say be more aggressive if you can to get him off balance. If he's got better reach, try and be faster, string stuff togethor. Plus, you didnt mention anything about kicks. I'm not trying to knock whatever kicking skill you have but try and get better with them, so you put them into your combos. Especially if you can string more kicks togethor. Thats what i do cuz i'm real short for my weight and my punches aren't that great.

Kick punch combos (emphasize kicks) and like Sonny said, work on the clinch and clinch defense. If you got a real problem with knees, then practice a lot of knee blocks and catches.

Of course, this is just my opinion, i know i'm no authority. Ask your coach, he probably knows WAY more than i could even hope to. Better yet, Try asking Bas. I know theres a thread somewhere where everyone gets to ask Bas for advice. And finally, sorry for being a long-whinded know-it-all.

Feign blows to reduce distance and get inside. Do not let the opponent grab you to clinch and knee.
For example, throw a jab and move in. Strike body the head. If your oppopnent tries to put his hands around neck/shoulders to kne push hem off and elbow/punch.

Or better still learn to trap your opponents hands/arms, it opens up more possibilities.

If the guy is not such a good boxer, why not stay out of reach and counterattack for the most part...parries and slips...in bosing, they want a shorter guy to close th edistance, but if your boxing skill is better, you should be able to stay out and come in only to inflict damage

TommyHearns said:
Its really hard coz in boxing it wasnt a problem coz i could slip and duck inside but every time i do that in MMA standup i get caught in clinch and kneed(not hard just to teach me not to do that). Its so hard to get inside without slipping or moving and the mat is so big u cant corner really. I cant just rush in covering up my head because i leave my body open and i have very tender ribs(which i train all the time dont just say train them). What type of strategy should i use standing up and dont say bring it to ground because he is much better groundfighter also, and i am foremost a boxer.

what about takedowns? it's difficult to kickbox taller guys. in boxing, its more fair, but the sport still favors tall people. but wrestlign actually favors the short.

jab.. youll be a faster jabber than him. then when he throws a hook duck it and throw a hook of your own from the outside. repeat. then do the same thing but throw straight punches instead of hooks. when he corners you duck and clinch.

How long have you been boxing in a gym with a trainer?

Watch a Mike Tyson fight. Most everyone he fought was taller and TRIED to use reach.

How long have you been boxing in a gym with a trainer?

Yeah. Good question. Whatever the case, he's gotta have improved a bit by now, given he posted this thread almost 3 years ago. :)

Watch a Mike Tyson fight. Most everyone he fought was taller and TRIED to use reach.

Tyson techniques in MMA = knee to the head.

Seriously, he would dip under punches and his head would be inches away from his opponent's knees. I wouldn't do that too much in MMA if I were you.

weave overhand weave overhand weave hook weave weave flying triple axe trapazoid choke kick

Tyson techniques in MMA = knee to the head.

Seriously, he would dip under punches and his head would be inches away from his opponent's knees. I wouldn't do that too much in MMA if I were you.

Here we go...

Back