Fight Club - every character is in "jack's" head, fighting to be Jack's main alternate personality

Agent Mulder's Hair

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I stumbled across this really interesting theory about Fight Club. I gotta say, some of the evidence they base their conclusion on is pretty compelling. Especially about Marla actually being Jack. I never noticed a lot of this stuff in the movie. Check it out. It's interesting food for thought.

Video:

Whole site that lists ALL the evidence for this theory: http://www.jackdurden.com/

What do ya think?

Edit: and sorry for only posting the site link and video link, but there is WAY too much evidence to list here. But here is a little bit from the site:

One of the first clues that Marla is not real is her likeness to Tyler. Fincher offers us clever, subtle hints that Tyler and Marla are the same person as Jack. One of the most obvious signs are the clothing that Marla and Tyler wear.

Tyler’s hair is styled and worn almost identical to Marla’s throughout most of the film. Marla and Tyler are both seen wearing a similar faux fur coat, wearing sunglasses, almost identical rings and they are seen smoking in virtually every scene in the film.

Even the framing of the shots is nearly identical when they are shown wearing similar clothes as well as the same facial expressions.

Fight_Club_0977.jpg
Fight_Club_0928.jpg

Fight_Club_0966.jpg
Fight_Club_0422.jpg

Marla and Jack (Edward Norton) Dress Alike
fight-bldgs-300x209.png
This is even more telling than Marla’s likeness to Tyler, but slightly more symbolic.

Jack (the narrator, played by Edward Norton) is seen gradually looking more like Marla up until the final scene where we see the silhouettes of the two standing together, holding hands.

From the back, it is virtually impossible to tell who is who.

Note how Jack’s long coat and lack of pants have made it seem as if he is wearing a dress, a near perfect mirror image of Marla as they watch the 12 skyscrapers be demolished.

Last edited:
Interesting theory. This may have been David Fincher's theory because some of these theories hold up to fight club 2, but some also don't. Don't read the spoiler if you don't want it ruined. Even though it was a total let down.

Fight Club 2 breaks the 4th wall (entirely too often) pretty much from start to end. It refers to the author having a hard time finishing the story and getting feedback from his writing group (really annoying). They talk about theories and motives behind jack (really his name is Sebastian) and tyler. An issue I have is that Marla is separated from Jack for a really long time. They both have a child and they're trying to save him. Sebastian is in one part of the world where marla is on the other side, all trying to stop tyler from creating global mayhem and find their son. They interact with a lot of people when they're not around each other. Another issue I have is that when they break the 4th wall, the author (Chuck Palahniuk) is at a table writing in his group. When someone in the group doesn't think his idea works, they break the story and cut to the writers. If Sebastian really had more people in his head, including Marla, then at some point they would have discussed it. They talked a lot about theory and his intentions and at some point would have brought up that Sebastian was seeing more than one person.

I like these theories in the video though. They do work in Fincher's world

I like these theories in the video though. They do work in Fincher's world

You should check out the site link. It's a lot better than the video.

And what you said about the theory working in Fincher's world, but not necessarily in Palachuk's world. There's a whole page on that site dedicated to the similarities between Fight Club and The Shining. Including the differences from King's novel and Kubrick's film, and Palachuk's novel and Fincher's film.

Here's the link for The Shining page if you're interested: http://www.jackdurden.com/rule-6-shining-part-1

sorry to hijack
but here a guy says that half of the shining is jack dreaming up his novel

it would be believable if not for tony at the beginning and danny seeing the twins in the game room

I've always figured Marla.. But fan theories are the fkn worst, generally speaking.

Marla is definitely an aspect of Jack's mind. I read up on this stuff a while back, made a lot of sense. Still have yet to watch the movie since then though.

I've always figured Marla.. But fan theories are the fkn worst, generally speaking.

Marla is definitely an aspect of Jack's mind. I read up on this stuff a while back, made a lot of sense. Still have yet to watch the movie since then though.

Did you guys notice Marla leaving the support group meeting holding a dildo? I never did, but yep:

Fight_Club_0318-300x184.jpg

then later on...

So, what was vibrating in there anyway..? The security guard says himself…

its-a-dildo.png

This is one of the strongest points for Marla’s non-existence. The most interesting part about this scene is that Jack is utterly confused.

If he had been the person to actually pack his bags, then surely he would understand what COULD be vibrating in the suitcase.

The security guard even says, “9 times out of 10 it’s an electric razor.”

But Jack continues to look at the security guard confused and says, “my suitcase was vibrating?” Implying he has no idea what could possibly be the cause.

However, if Jack is actually Marla, then Marla is likely the one who packed his bags. Which means there actually is a dildo in the luggage.

Jack acts totally confused about this because he himself has no idea he is Marla.

Think about it: the dildo is even sitting on top of the dresser, and Marla packed it.

The security guard even hints at this by saying, “of course it’s company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo, we have to use the indefinite article a dildo, never your dildo” and looks at Jack skeptically.

If Marla isn't real why does the waiter refer to her as "the lady"?

If Marla isn't real why does the waiter refer to her as "the lady"?

Most likely almost all (if not ALL) minor characters in the film are in jack's head. It talks about the minor characters in the video.

Most likely almost all (if not ALL) minor characters in the film are in jack's head. It talks about the minor characters in the video.

So the restaurant didn't actually have a waiter?

Is it just me who thinks that "fight club" was an overrated movie, and that Chuck Palahniuk is an overrated writer?

So Marla was a figment of his imagination? He couldn't think up a better love interest than a homeless big-headed broad?

So the restaurant didn't actually have a waiter?
HE'S NOT EVEN IN A RESTAURANT.

This is the problem with any film dealing with psychoses. EVERYTHING MEANS SOMETHING ELSE THEREFORE NOTHING MEANS ANYTHING.

I like the theory I guess in its fervent use of examples, but it doesn't add to what I considered as the main theme: which is Palahniuk's own struggle with masculinity while coming to terms with homosexuality. Just replace fighting with fucking.

Is it just me who thinks that "fight club" was an overrated movie, and that Chuck Palahniuk is an overrated writer?
That happened with a lot of people, but mainly because the film got popular conversely to its intent. Kind of like if people started doing heroin because of TRAINSPOTTING. No you, idiots, you were supposed to go the OTHER way. Promoting that lifestyle is naught but sound and fury, which I think is the very heart of being overrated.

Last edited:
Did you guys notice Marla leaving the support group meeting holding a dildo? I never did, but yep:

Fight_Club_0318-300x184.jpg

then later on...

So, what was vibrating in there anyway..? The security guard says himself…

its-a-dildo.png

This is one of the strongest points for Marla’s non-existence. The most interesting part about this scene is that Jack is utterly confused.

If he had been the person to actually pack his bags, then surely he would understand what COULD be vibrating in the suitcase.

The security guard even says, “9 times out of 10 it’s an electric razor.”

But Jack continues to look at the security guard confused and says, “my suitcase was vibrating?” Implying he has no idea what could possibly be the cause.

However, if Jack is actually Marla, then Marla is likely the one who packed his bags. Which means there actually is a dildo in the luggage.

Jack acts totally confused about this because he himself has no idea he is Marla.

Think about it: the dildo is even sitting on top of the dresser, and Marla packed it.

The security guard even hints at this by saying, “of course it’s company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo, we have to use the indefinite article a dildo, never your dildo” and looks at Jack skeptically.

dildos don't vibrate, vibrators do, and they chippeth the teeth of polish bitches

Back