fernando terere

geoffreysquire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i use to train under tt jiu jitsu and was very sad to hear about what happened to terere. i know some people who may have contact with him but before i call them i just want to check is it really true that he is living on the streets etc?

after reading the graciemag article on him i think he MAY have a psychiatric illness as i am studying to be a psychiatrist myself. in countries like brazil i dont know how well they diagnose these conditions, and the fbi who arrested him im sure would be fishing for a terrorist link as opposed to an illness. IF he has a psychiatric illness, treatment may do wonders for him (dont listen to the tom cruise bullshit that psychiatry doesnt work),i see people get better all the time. so seriously, can someone tell me his situation?

Well, from what I heard, he's just been waiting in Brazil for a young aspiring psychiatrist to visit and possibly diagnose him. In a recent interview, he's said that Brazilian police immediately flagged him as a terrorist, thereby eliminating any possible psychological treatment he'd otherwise receive. If I were in your position, I'd get on the first plane to Brazil and immediately begin your search for Terere, you'll be in our thoughts and prayers.

Well, from what I heard, he's just been waiting in Brazil for a young aspiring psychiatrist to visit and possibly diagnose him. In a recent interview, he's said that Brazilian police immediately flagged him as a terrorist, thereby eliminating any possible psychological treatment he'd otherwise receive. If I were in your position, I'd get on the first plane to Brazil and immediately begin your search for Terere, you'll be in our thoughts and prayers.

Dibs on the screenplay...

thanks for the reply guys. tereres condition sounds as though if he was in the uk, where i live, he would have been sectioned under the mental health act for his own protection. this would eliminate his drug use and give him the opportunity to receive treatment. ive never been to brazil so dont know how it works there but i think healthcare may be private there. the fact that hes on the streets means that people either dont care about him, which im sure is very unlikely or his friends dont realise that sending him to the hospital by force is for his own good.

i will get in touch with my former instructor, i know for sure he was in close contact with galvao and terere.

as a related note, to any kids reading this dont take eddie bravos weed comments in a light hearted fashion. so many of the patients in the hospital i work in who have schizophrenia smoked cannabis heavily. theres not a link for everyone, but you could be that unlucky person who drifts into psychosis because of it, and your life will change for the worse . read up on it for yourself using google rather than taking other peoples advice on this serious issue.(sorry, lecture now over)

^^^^^^^^
FT-muthafuggin-Win!!!!!!

why r u trying to take the piss? this is not an issue to make fun out of

Geoffrey, Crack cocaine is not a mental illness, as much as I feel for the guy for being put in a tough spot in the US, crack is not the answer. And a grown man should know that.

i didn't think he was trying to take the piss... if i had no commitments and a psych degree, and loads of money i would be over there in a flash.

kiumerense i didnt know he was a crack addict. codemonkey..my bad, i got the impression he was taking the piss!

thanks for the reply guys. tereres condition sounds as though if he was in the uk, where i live, he would have been sectioned under the mental health act for his own protection. this would eliminate his drug use and give him the opportunity to receive treatment. ive never been to brazil so dont know how it works there but i think healthcare may be private there. the fact that hes on the streets means that people either dont care about him, which im sure is very unlikely or his friends dont realise that sending him to the hospital by force is for his own good.

Worked for Amy Winehouse...

Forcing him into the hospital is a terrible decision. - let the guy sort it out.

Stuff him full of drugs at the hospital is not going to help.

let him sort it out...ok sure , next time i have a patient having a heart attack in a hospital ill think that. mental health problems are the same as any other disease liek diabetes.

amy winehouse is a piece of shit, dont compare terere to her unless u know for certain his problems are drug related.

terere is a dark brown tea since Fernando is dark as fuck.. thus the name terere

He bit someone on an airplane after a confrontation that got out of hand, went to jail for a bit, and I believe he was sexually assaulted when he was incarcerated. It doesn't matter if you are Terre, if they want you, they will get you. Poor guy.

He wasn't assaulted in jail. What an awful thing to write. He was in solitary confinement because the feds were afraid someone would try and fight him when they found out he was a BJJ badass. Its a sad story, the guy has tremendous talent but has mental issues combined with drug problems.

He bit someone on an airplane after a confrontation that got out of hand, went to jail for a bit, and I believe he was sexually assaulted when he was incarcerated. It doesn't matter if you are Terre, if they want you, they will get you. Poor guy.

why the fuck do people make up bullshit like this? get the fuck out of teh grappling forum and back to the ot, you fucking idiot.

in the graciemag interview galvao said that he had been put in solitary, probably not because he was a bjj badass but because he was totally crazy at the time. he very obviously has mental issues and needs help but in brazil the whole 'macho' culture among men(especially guys who fight for a living) is quite strong so i would say his friends are not giving him the help he really needs.

'sort it out himself?' are you serious? since when did leaving mentally ill people to their own devices ever create a good situation? the dude needs help, badly.

Back