• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fedor's Takedown Game Gifs!

Great thread, I want to see more! I could watch Fedor all day

GOAT all day....totally undersized heavyweight, always attempted to finish. Decade of dominance.

Fedor is my reason for training. Watch and learn.

I hope Fedor start giving seminars soon. GOAT at heavy weight.

I was always amazed by how quick he moves. He is relatively small for a heavyweight, but all the speed behind everything made up for that. Maybe it's a stupid thought, but I also wondered if a cut to light heavyweight would have ever been possible.

That was one of my all time favorites. I know that Gary might not have been the most elite-level opponent, but that was the fight that blew me away with the way Fedor mixed his striking with his takedowns and grappling. Fighters still don't blend it like that, even those who come from similar backgrounds as Fedor.

As I was looking at the gifs I realised that his capacity for transitioning so immediatly to a takedown might come from his judo background. Correct me if I'm wrong but when I see a wrestling match of when I trained wrestling I tend to see a lot of pummeling going on, a lot of setup and finally a takedown but not as much work on how to enter as fast as possible and take the guy down before he's got time to react. At least my judo training focused on that quite a lot, and you can see the same type of action here.

I find his takedown strategy really interesting from the double underhook body lock, and I never noticed his preference for this before. He likes that position, but unlike most people, he doesn't seem to like to finish with a trip when he has double underhooks and locks the hands. He does a lift and rotation, then brings his weight down. It's really not a like a suplex or suplex attempt, seems to be a lot more tiring than an outside trip (or ko-soto gari if you prefer). Any thoughts on this?

Assuming you're talking about the throw he uses that I think you mean (for some reason the gifs didn't show up in my browser at the start of the thread), its modification for no-gi on the common competition sasae tsurikomi ashi ... and its a fairly common throw in high level judo competition. The text book sasae you see in gradings (or Nage-no-kata) which is done at arms length isn't the competition version; the competition version has body contact, and is more or less what Fedor does, except its done with a gi grip instead of double underhooks.

And I was told by a judo coach who was also on the Russian national team at the same time, that that sasae was one of Fedor's favorite throws when competing in judo, so its not surprising he modified it for MMA.

Last edited:
Assuming you're talking about the throw he uses that I think you mean (for some reason the gifs didn't show up in my browser at the start of the thread), its modification for no-gi on the common competition sasae tsurikomi ashi ... and its a fairly common throw in high level judo competition. The text book sasae you see in gradings (or Nage-no-kata) which is done at arms length isn't the competition version; the competition version has body contact, and is more or less what Fedor does, except its done with a gi grip instead of double underhooks.

And I was told by a judo coach who was also on the Russian national team at the same time, that that sasae was one of Fedor's favorite throws when competing in judo, so its not surprising he modified it for MMA.

For reference for noobs (like me) who don't know that technique. As I see it, the idea behind the TD's are the same (first get the opponent off-balance by focusing on their upper-body [Fedor uses an underhook, Judo guys use the pulling motion on the gi] and then capitalize by taking them down focusing on their lower-body [Fedor uses his arm like a wrestling TD to grab behind the knee, while Judo guys use their foot to trip]) but the actual execution is considerably different, with Fedor making it more of a throw than a trip.

Last edited:

For reference for noobs (like me) who don't know that technique. As I see it, the idea behind the TD's are the same (first get the opponent off-balance by focusing on their upper-body [Fedor uses an underhook, Judo guys use the pulling motion on the gi] and then capitalize by taking them down focusing on their lower-body [Fedor uses his arm like a wrestling TD to grab behind the knee, while Judo guys use their foot to trip]) but the actual execution is considerably different, with Fedor making it more of a throw than a trip.

As I said, the non-competition (formal or gokyo version if you like) isn't like the competition version. You'll rarely see it done as demonstrated above in international level judo (where is where Fedor competed). Note that Fedor actually has better judo credentials than someone like Karo (competed at a higher level and did better in those competitions); he's modified it a bit for no-gi, but you'll notice (see below) that the competition version holds uke (the person being thrown) in extremely tight, body to body contact, and the throw is done by lifting them onto your body (like a slate) and then rotating the slate - quite different than the textbook, gokyo version which is much more a leg technique.

Here's a youtube where it shows a typical competition version:

Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi by Muneta Yasuyuki - YouTube

As I said, the gif of Fedor's throw doesn't show up in my browser, but I assume this is the one people are talking about (and that I've seen Fedor do in MMA).

It looked a lot more like wrestling than Judo. Not being sarcastic.

The techniques in judo and wrestling are the same, other than the variations between gi and no-gi. Flying mare/seoi nage, hip toss/o goshi, body lock/sasae tsurikomi ashi, mule kick/uchi mata ... for that matter, kimura/ude garami/key lock.

If you learn a technique in wrestling, then its a wrestling technique for you. Someone else learns the same technique in judo, its a judo technique for them. In Fedor's case, he was on the Russian national judo team (3rd best team in the world, much better qualifications than say Karo had, though not as good as Yoshida), and he learned his throws in judo, so for him they're judo. Randy Couture does exactly the same throws, and they're wrestling takedowns, because that's where he learned them.

The human body only moves in so many ways, and there aren't any new techniques, just modifications. Every technique in judo, wrestling, BJJ, sambo, you name it, has been around for thousands of years. There've been modifications, and they're set up differently, and taught more systematically at some times than others, but they don't belong to judo or wrestling or BJJ etc.

Behind that belly is actually an elite ahtlete.

Fedor was always very technical, explosive and quick.

Many people overlook people's athleticism because of how they're built.

Fedor is one of the most talented fighters ever, despite in my opinion never even reaching his true potential.

As I said, the gif of Fedor's throw doesn't show up in my browser, but I assume this is the one people are talking about (and that I've seen Fedor do in MMA).

It's the TD he hit on Goodridge. And the difference from the technique in the vid I posted to the one in the vid you posted is negligible and is no closer to Fedor's TD. He only uses his arms and makes it more of a double-leg than a trip, as it's executed in its stricter Judo execution seen in those vids.

Fedor is one of the most talented fighters ever, despite in my opinion never even reaching his true potential.

ibyPvrlvv1V2K2.gif

What was he missing?

Just take osoto ozy. The sweeping the leg isnt necessary. Makes for ippon tho. Looks nice. You should still easily drop fella without sweeping the leg if you have osoto down. Older black n white vids of judoka demo this often. Same with ouchi and others. Its the balance tip point, breaking balance, not necessarily the removal of the post. Thats seems huge in what peoples opinions of judo and wrestling are.

Practice osoto tomorrow and this time w/o a sweep. If you dont still easily take him down then your osoto might be off. Not that a sweep isnt good but the point isnt the sweep.

Last edited:
The techniques in judo and wrestling are the same, other than the variations between gi and no-gi. Flying mare/seoi nage, hip toss/o goshi, body lock/sasae tsurikomi ashi, mule kick/uchi mata ... for that matter, kimura/ude garami/key lock.

If you learn a technique in wrestling, then its a wrestling technique for you. Someone else learns the same technique in judo, its a judo technique for them. In Fedor's case, he was on the Russian national judo team (3rd best team in the world, much better qualifications than say Karo had, though not as good as Yoshida), and he learned his throws in judo, so for him they're judo. Randy Couture does exactly the same throws, and they're wrestling takedowns, because that's where he learned them.

The human body only moves in so many ways, and there aren't any new techniques, just modifications. Every technique in judo, wrestling, BJJ, sambo, you name it, has been around for thousands of years. There've been modifications, and they're set up differently, and taught more systematically at some times than others, but they don't belong to judo or wrestling or BJJ etc.

Well said!

Impressive collection of GIFs. Fedor was well versed in takedowns and mixing them up with strikes. I need to learn some more grappling. I would love to learn his throw techniques and how to apply strength properly. Been a fan of Fedors since the Rogers fight (I was actually rooting against him, but became a fan after watching the fight.) but i have watched almost all of his fights. I will admit to not watching all of his RINGS fights. He has incredible technique

No one in MMA has really put together striking and takedown like Fedor did. There's nobody that moves like him.

Khabib and Rustam are similar. Dat combat Sambo.

This was a necro worth the necro.

Back