Fedor vs Chael in the clinch?

Bigfoot shot in on a double leg, Fedor has always been very double leg-able, Nog got him down with one too
They did and many others double legged fedor
But few could keep him down
I can't see a weak sub grappler keeping fedor down he might take him down but fedor is up

They did and many others double legged fedor
But few could keep him down
I can't see a weak sub grappler keeping fedor down he might take him down but fedor is up

Fedor is 42 and a wrestler with a brown belt like Sonnen isnt the best scenario for current Fedor IMO...

Chael is getting whupped. You can't give up that much real muscle and be a grappler, unless you have a H-Bomb to go with it.

10 years ago if you told me Fedor would be swinging for the fences instead of using his ground game I would be laughing. Well here we are today.

Judo and Sambo background?

Fedor. His whole game revolves around the clinch, he isn't a fan of doubles or singles. I believe Fedor's clinch game is stronger. He specializes in it.

Good point TS...

Was also thinking about what might be the or a very deciding factor in this fight...and i also thought it is probably the clinch...
Because...shooting in for TDs against Fedor...Hmm...well ask Coleman what he thinks about it.

Coleman was over 40 in both Fedor fights. By that point he was slow and telegraphed his shots on Fedor and Cro-Cop from 15 feet away. Bigfoot took Fedor down with a really sloppy football tackle. Granted, he's a lot bigger than Chael but Bigfoot isn't much of a wrestler.

That said, the grappling is hard to call on this one. When fighters are roughly the same size, I'lll pick the wrestler over a judo guy, but that's not the case here.

I wonder if Chael has been training with Okami (an old training partner), Hector Lombard or anyone else skilled in judo? That would be a good idea...

Yea that Bigfoot
Coleman was over 40 in both Fedor fights. By that point he was slow and telegraphed his shots on Fedor and Cro-Cop from 15 feet away. Bigfoot took Fedor down with a really sloppy football tackle. Granted, he's a lot bigger than Chael but Bigfoot isn't much of a wrestler.

That said, the grappling is hard to call on this one. When fighters are roughly the same size, I'lll pick the wrestler over a judo guy, but that's not the case here.

I wonder if Chael has been training with Okami (an old training partner), Hector Lombard or anyone else skilled in judo? That would be a good idea...
double leg on Fedor surprised me, but that’s probably why fedor wasn’t expecting it either, because as you said, Bigfoot isn’t a grappler. Same thing happened to wand vs Chuck.

The difference in this fight is fedor will def be expecting the td vs Chael. At least I hope (and prepares accordingly).

Coleman was aged and still got Fedor down in both fights. Even with Fedor and everyone else knowing that Coleman was going to shoot.

This is still an interesting fight within a fight though. I remember a sub 215 pound Lindland had Fedor dead to rights cinched up in that body lock until Fedor grabbed the ropes and reversed him, but Chael isn't quite the clinch fighter that Lindland was.

As for Chael's possible judo prep, I think given his varied, high level, wrestling background in folk, freestyle, and Greco along with his disdain for judo he will probably rely on his combo of wrestling and grappling. Having said that, Im sure Chael has access to plenty of good judo guys if he wants to, and hes probably not as dismissive of judo as he claims to be, so who knows. I remember Dennis Hallman saying there was some really good judo guys up there in Chael's neck of the woods, along with Okami like you mentioned. You also mentioned Lombard, is there an existing connection between Chael and Hector?

Not that I know of, and they train in opposite parts of the U.S. I've heard them speak favorably about each other, though...even when they were both UFC MWs and could potentially fight each other.
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/3/...en-disqualified-against-c-b-dollaway-mma-news

Given how far apart they live, I doubt they've done any training.
The only connection I can come up with is Chael's BJJ coach Fabiano Scherner is closely tied to Ricardo Liborio who was obviously a big part of Lombard's career up until he recently left ATT. I also know Lombard has trained with Erik Paulson and Josh Barnett, the latter of which is from the pac northwest.

Coleman was 40 when he fought Fedor the first time (same age as DC when he KO Stipe) and still powerful as fuck. One of the best power doubles in the sport. Fedor armlocked him smoother than BJJ black belt Big Nog.

In the second fight Coleman was aged but still powerful. In the fight before that he broke Shoguns arm with a power double. Just to put in perspective he can still blast a power double. Fedor armlocked him easily again.

Coleman went on to the UFC to give Shogun a very difficult fight who is a Chrstiano Marcelo black belt. Shogun never came close to submitting Coleman after many tries. Gave Shogun a tough fight years later after fighting Fedor, the same Shogun who went on to KO Liddell in the first and beat Machida back to back.

Then Coleman went on on to beat the fuck out Stephan Bonnar (Renzo black belt on steroids) who Coleman outgrappled easily and beat the fuck out of.

I see your bitch ass trying to downplay Fedors wins over Coleman like the basement dwelling cuck that you are, but Fedors wins over Coleman were solid and Coleman went on show that he was a game opponent in his fights after Fedor.

Last edited:
Coleman was 40 when he fought Fedor the first time (same age as DC when he KO Stipe) and still powerful as fuck..

Maurice Smith gave the blueprint for beating one-dimensional Coleman back in 1997. Coleman left the UFC in 2000 on a 3-fight losing streak. He was never more than a 1990's 1-dimensional wrestler. This was very clear when Randy Couture (same age as Coleman) completely dominated and finished him. Randy evolved; Coleman didn't. I've already dealt with your Coleman fallacies and myths (made up by Fedor fans, not Coleman fans) in other posts.

Please get a real life and stop basing your entire existence on one fighter's exaggerated accomplishments. Maybe your new goal can be scoring above 60 on an IQ test?

Maurice Smith gave the blueprint for beating one-dimensional Coleman back in 1997. Coleman left the UFC in 2000 on a 3-fight losing streak. He was never more than a 1990's 1-dimensional wrestler. This was very clear when Randy Couture (same age as Coleman) completely dominated and finished him. Randy evolved; Coleman didn't. I've already dealt with your Coleman fallacies and myths (made up by Fedor fans, not Coleman fans) in other posts.

Please get a real life and stop basing your entire existence on one fighter's exaggerated accomplishments. Maybe your new goal can be scoring above 60 on an IQ test?

So I guess Maurice Smith is a better fighter than Shogun Rua then...

You stupid mongoloid....

So I guess Maurice Smith is a better fighter than Shogun Rua then...

You stupid mongoloid....
The old ad hominem--Proof positive that you don't have a real argument.

I didn't make any claims about one fighter being "better" than the other, but Mo Smith definitely beat a younger and more game version of Coleman. The Shogun-Coleman rematch in the UFC was one of the worst fights I've seen. Both guys gassed early. and Shogun couldn't pull off a sub despite Coleman giving him several easy changes. What a slopfest.

hopefully fedor retires after sonnen grinds out a decision against him. He is the greatest can crusher in mma tho.

Coleman was 40 when he fought Fedor the first time (same age as DC when he KO Stipe) and still powerful as fuck. One of the best power doubles in the sport. Fedor armlocked him smoother than BJJ black belt Big Nog.

In the second fight Coleman was aged but still powerful. In the fight before that he broke Shoguns arm with a power double. Just to put in perspective he can still blast a power double. Fedor armlocked him easily again.

Coleman went on to the UFC to give Shogun a very difficult fight who is a Chrstiano Marcelo black belt. Shogun never came close to submitting Coleman after many tries. Gave Shogun a tough fight years later after fighting Fedor, the same Shogun who went on to KO Liddell in the first and beat Machida back to back.

Then Coleman went on on to beat the fuck out Stephan Bonnar (Renzo black belt on steroids) who Coleman outgrappled easily and beat the fuck out of.

I see your bitch ass trying to downplay Fedors wins over Coleman like the basement dwelling cuck that you are, but Fedors wins over Coleman were solid and Coleman went on show that he was a game opponent in his fights after Fedor.
I agree with you that Coleman was still damn good up until the Randy fight but I think you know it wasn't a power double that Coleman broke Shogun's arm with. It was actually a slick ankle pick/low double type thing. The kind that attacks the lower leg and forces the defender to choose between being taken down and hyper extending the shit out of their knee.

Not that it was any less impressive than a power double though. Short as the Coleman-Shogun 1 fight was, it showed some real solid grappling/clinching/wrestling exchanges. Shogun foolishly thought he could bully Coleman in the cinch and didn't protect that underhook in the first clinch exchange. Apparently this is common amongst judo guys. Coleman countered beautifully and got Shogun down immediately but as soon as it hit the floor Shogun was attacking. Coleman did exactly what a wrestler should do against a dangerous Bjjer like Shogun. Stayed calm, didn't try to power out, rolled with it and then scored his own reversal which led to the arm break.

Neither Coleman nor Randleman get the respect they deserve as evolved wrestlers in MMA, considering the times they fought in. Watch Randeman vs Nakamura and watch him use some beautiful escapes and reversals. And Coleman was outgrappling guys all the way up until Bonnar.

Back