Fedor turning into his own arm

Voodoo_Child906

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
During the Fedor - Werdum fight I noticed Fedor trying to escape by turning toward his trapped arm (his left). Is this the correct escape? I always thought that it makes the choke tighter and you should be turning away from your trapped arm.

I've seen a defense where you sprawl violently towards the trapped arm, but it only works BEFORE they secure the lock. After that, yeah, you're tightening the noose.

Turn toward your trapped arm while pulling that trapped arm's elbow to your hip as hard as possible and also looking to step your leg over their body. It's a legit escape.

Turn toward your trapped arm while pulling that trapped arm's elbow to your hip as hard as possible and also looking to step your leg over their body. It's a legit escape.

Why wouldn't you turn away from your arm, in my experience it creates breathing room and it's far less painful.

It's funny, I always thought that the best defense against a triangle is to not hang out inside a multiple time world champions guard just winging wild punches at his head!?:D

I've seen an escape where you basically kiss your trapped shoulder, which narrows your profile and lets you slip out.

i think fedor was trying to do a catch wrestling escape Erik paulson has some youtube vids where he violently steps over to knee bar.

You always turn into the choke....

After Werdum tightened up his foot under his knee cap there was no way to escape.

It's funny, I always thought that the best defense against a triangle is to not hang out inside a multiple time world champions guard just winging wild punches at his head!?:D

Did you see the fight?

Fedor dropped Werdum 27 seconds into the fight. He threw 6 or 7 hammerfists while moving in and out of Werdum's guard. Werdum put him back into the guard and applied the triangle in 3 seconds.

I give Werdum credit for keeping his head against a guy with over 30 wins who was the consensus GOAT of MMA. Fedor has fought Olympic medalists from different grappling arts and is a multiple time Sambo world champion. Werdum beat him. Good for Werdum.

Did you see the fight?

Fedor dropped Werdum 27 seconds into the fight. He threw 6 or 7 hammerfists while moving in and out of Werdum's guard. Werdum put him back into the guard and applied the triangle in 3 seconds.

I give Werdum credit for keeping his head against a guy with over 30 wins who was the consensus GOAT of MMA. Fedor has fought Olympic medalists from different grappling arts and is a multiple time Sambo world champion. Werdum beat him. Good for Werdum.

oh god, you another Contenders or heavies clown?

first off he isn't the goat, maybe the duck.
-yeah, 30 some wins--look em up on fight finder, i'd say he has about 6 fights against non cans. big nof being his biggest win (and we all saw what mir and cain did to nog). I mean pride was known to feed guys cans and they were known to fix fights.

second, werdum went off balance, he did not get knocked down. saw the fight in

slow mo and fedor missed with the right (unless fedor can punch you in the face and your face does not move from impact)

third, he went down into his guard and werdum grabbed his arm and fedor got out of the grip, instead of standing up he threw little spazzy hammerfist. The he got triangled, tried to bitch tap, and then tapped out.

sorry, sambo comps really mean shit. he wins adcc and we will see-- but he would never compete in that and be exposed again.

Fedor flopped around in the triangle like a first day spazz. Trying to study his defense for things to do right would not be a good idea.

oh god, you another Contenders or heavies clown?

first off he isn't the goat, maybe the duck.
-yeah, 30 some wins--look em up on fight finder, i'd say he has about 6 fights against non cans. big nof being his biggest win (and we all saw what mir and cain did to nog). I mean pride was known to feed guys cans and they were known to fix fights.

second, werdum went off balance, he did not get knocked down. saw the fight in

slow mo and fedor missed with the right (unless fedor can punch you in the face and your face does not move from impact)

third, he went down into his guard and werdum grabbed his arm and fedor got out of the grip, instead of standing up he threw little spazzy hammerfist. The he got triangled, tried to bitch tap, and then tapped out.

sorry, sambo comps really mean shit. he wins adcc and we will see-- but he would never compete in that and be exposed again.

I suppose much of it is perspective if you think that ADCC is the ultimate competition that's one thing. I give credit to ADCC. Mark Kerr was undefeated in ADCC, when someone could hit Mark - he didn't do so well (like Pride.) If I recall Kerr didn't give up any points in ADCC either. I think being a multiple time Sambo World champion is worth something too.

If Fedor wasn't GOAT in MMA, who was?

Fedor did well in Nog's guard in 2 wins. Werdum isn't night and day better than Nog in MMA BJJ (where people can punch you.) When I watched the fight of Nog beating Werdum I thought Nog was doing ok.

Fedor beat Nog twice, Cro Cop, Coleman twice, Randleman, Arlovski, Big Tim, Rogers (was undefeated ranked in the top 10 at the time), TK (fought for the UFC title?), Semmy (solid MMA record, Top K-1 fighter), Arona (ADCC champion), Heath Herring when Herring was good, and Babalu. That's off the top of my head. That's more quality wins than anyone that you are going to name as GOAT has unless you are going to name Big Nog who Fedor beat twice.

Fedor has beat champions from other grappling styles in MMA. Ogawa was 7-0, a former 3 time open weight Judo world champion, Olympic Silver medalist, when Fedor submitted him. I wouldn't have considered him a can but I'm sure you do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back