Fear Thy Neighbor: Radicalization and Jihadist Attacks in the West

Son of Jamin

Make MMA Great Again
@Silver
Reaction score
This report examines all jihadist-motivated terrorist attacks carried out in Europe and North America since the declaration of the Caliphate by the Islamic State group in June 2014. By analyzing the 51 attacks and their perpetrators, this study constitutes the first comprehensive account of attacks carried out during the past three years.

https://icct.nl/publication/fear-thy-neighbor-radicalization-and-jihadist-attacks-in-the-west/

https://icct.nl/wp-content/uploads/...RadicalizationandJihadistAttacksintheWest.pdf <= Link to the report

Key findings:

* ISIS is very much behind the scenes, only 26% of the cases studied had no apparent link to the group
* Debunks the theory that social conditions are the major driver for terrorism and radicalization
* Radicalization leading to terrorism is growing in an alarming rate
* Southern Europe is performing worse than northern Europe on integrating Muslims, despite that, they suffer lower number of attacks.
* Radical hubs are the major driver, not social conditions.
* A hub can be a Salafi group, mosque, charismatic personality, tight-nit group of friends.
* More women are becoming an integral part of the radicalization

The report was published jointly by George Washington University’s Program on Extremism, the Italian Institute for International Political Studies (ISPI) and the International Centre for Counter-Terrorism – The Hague (ICCT).

Why do you think there are less attacks in southern Europe?

Its a serious question. Is it because italians are more corrupt and more likely to treat immigrants like shit or organised crime keeos them in check?

Its a serious question. Is it because italians are more corrupt ant more likely to treat immigrants like shit or organised crime keeos them in check?
According to this study:

* Different migration patterns. Many of the Muslims in Southern Europe haven't reached the same age demographics as in the north.
* Italy has a more strict zero-tolerance for Islamism.

9090403242_e7d1c68a43_z.jpg
chartoftheday_4227_support_for_isis_in_muslim_countries_n.jpg

and this other poll shows higher than 6% for ISIS

isil-q.jpg

Less Muslims from a Salafi background?

The west should ban all islamic immigration and kick out islamists and jail those who preach hate. Or jail them forever. Surveillance mosques, and implement hardcore pro secular laws. Make fun of Islam too and once you are killed for doing so (Charlie hebdo) maybe then people will realize something is different about it than christianity or other religions. But wont hold breath. Lol

There also differences in the Islamic denominations within sunni Islam. I believe that plays a role. Shia islam is not really a problem.

Last edited:
According to this study:

* Different migration patterns. Many of the Muslims in Southern Europe haven't reached the same age demographics as in the north.
* Italy has a more strict zero-tolerance for Islamism.
Interesting. I can imagine muslims really having a hard time in Italy if there were the type if attacks in england or france . Italians can be comically racist too.

Great idea for a thread, though the material is a bit extensive and its unlikely any will read the whole report. I read the conclusion and maybe I'll get around to reading the whole thing sometime later. Here's one interesting bit from the conclusion.
One data that stands out in this report is that 73% of perpetrators were citizens of the country in which they committed the attack. This provides further confirmation of the predominantly homegrown nature of the current threat, even in the context of growing concerns about the potential infiltration of terrorists in migration flows the West.
The threat seems larger from radicalized citizens than from migrants. The again, I'd imagine migrants would be a minority of Muslims in many of these countries so they could still be over-represented among these terrorists despite not being the majority.

EDIT: Here's more info on the breakdown in terms of origin of the attackers
73% of attackers were citizens of the country in which they committed the attack. Another 14% were either legal residents or legitimate visitors from neighboring countries. 5% were refugees or asylum seekers at the time of attack. 6% were residing in the country illegally at the time of the attack.

So only 11% could be considered migrants in the common usage of the term in the context of this discussion(from outside of Europe).

Last edited:
Great idea for a thread, though the material is a bit extensive and its unlikely any will read the whole report. I read the conclusion and maybe I'll get around to reading the whole thing sometime later. Here's one interesting bit from the conclusion.

The threat seems larger from radicalized citizens than from migrants. The again, I'd imagine migrants would be a minority of Muslims in many of these countries so they could still be over-represented among these terrorists despite not being the majority.
Good post!

The above finding aligns with previous studies that found that:
Radical Islam has gained more and more adherents among muslim migrants of the second and third generation. Individuals who no longer identify with any nation state, are prisoners between two cultures and, while living in western European society, studying in European universities, getting married and having children, they resort to radical action. In the knowledge society, intelligence communities must connect to complex situations, difficult to prevent,citizens of European countries turning into executives of terrorist attacks on European soil.

https://www.haaretz.com/amp/world-n...differently-to-avoid-terror-attacks-1.5939572

Quote;
" The policy of issuing immediate expulsion orders without trial against anyone suspected of sympathizing with the Islamic State is seen by experts as a main reason Italy has been virtually immune to violent Islamic fundamentalism."
Also they perhaps have developed a pretty good intelligence system due to past experience with mafia and communist terrorism.

The language barrier makes it harder to integrate as north Africans and middle easterners are more likely to speak english and french.

Another reason is Italy is a major hub to enter EU and no reason to disturb this.

Vatican intel is pretty developed too

https://www.haaretz.com/amp/world-n...differently-to-avoid-terror-attacks-1.5939572

Quote;
" The policy of issuing immediate expulsion orders without trial against anyone suspected of sympathizing with the Islamic State is seen by experts as a main reason Italy has been virtually immune to violent Islamic fundamentalism."
Also they perhaps have developed a pretty good intelligence system due to past experience with mafia and communist terrorism.

The language barrier makes it harder to integrate as north Africans and middle easterners are more likely to speak english and french.

Another reason is Italy is a major hub to enter EU and no reason to disturb this.

Vatican intel is pretty developed too
That is very interesting!

Sweden could learn a thing or two from Italy. The government subsidies so many hard lined Islamic associations that year after year invite Islamic hate preachers that calls on the death of Jews and homosexuals.

This is where the lack of free speech in Europe might be an advantage, I'd imagine it'd be easier to pass harsh laws against the kind of toxic religious-political speech that these radicalization hubs promote.

This is where the lack of free speech in Europe might be an advantage, I'd imagine it'd be easier to pass harsh laws against the kind of toxic religious-political speech that these radicalization hubs promote.
I agree in theory but there so many cases where mosques in Sweden calls for death on Jews and homosexuals and nothing every happens but if a Christian or a right-winger would have uttered the same words, they would have been publicly flogged by media and the courts.

This is because they are operating under the notion that they don't want to stigmatize and already stigmatized group.

I agree in theory but there so many cases where mosques in Sweden calls for death on Jews and homosexuals and nothing every happens but if a Christian or a right-winger would have uttered the same words, they would have been publicly flogged by media and the courts.

This is because they are operating under the notion that they don't want to stigmatize and already stigmatized group.
Well I would agree that its a good idea to avoid trying to stigmatize Muslims in general so as to avoid provoking some sort of backlash effect, even the study suggests that. But the leniency is perhaps taken too far in some cases.

The West prides itself on "separation of church and state" but I wonder if they'll ultimately compromise that to regulate and monitor mosques and other Islamic associations more closely. Liberals often invoke that principle to imply it was created to protect the state from church influence but it was in many cases equally meant to protect the reverse from occurring.

Interesting find. Lets hope your thread will stay civil. Any promising thread connected to Islam and remarks such as "religion of peace" or any kind of comments that suggest racist sarcasm makes me leave that thread quickly. But I guess, you can´t stop the rednecks from posting.

Back