FDA To Reduce Nicotine Content in Cigarettes to Non-Addictive Levels

People who are already addicted will probably just smoke more.
But it might help the next generation from becoming addicted. Who knows. We'll see how it plays out.

They should have done this decades ago and not been public about it. Instead, they secretly raised the levels.

I am a pack a day smoker, and have been for around twenty years. Never once have I thought "damn, if only I had a nicotine patch, instead of this sweet, sweet cigarette with my coffee." I've always thought the addiction was in the habit and routine, and the sensation you get when you inhale, not the nicotine. I've quit, or rather postponed, smoking three times. All done with regular chewing gum and the will power to change my routine. That's all it took, and if I really wanted to, I could do it again quite easily. All those nicotine replacements are a waste of money, as far as I'm concerned. If you really want to quit, you'll quit. Withdrawal symptoms from quitting smoking, are practically non-existent. You won't be climbing up the walls, or puking your guts out, if you just stop smoking.

Now of course, everyone is different and I'm only speaking for myself. Like I said though, if they removed nicotine altogether somehow, smoking would not just all of a sudden cease to exist. People would still smoke, because the habit and routine of smoking is addictive. More so, than the nicotine.

If theres no Nicotine then why would someone get addicted. Theres going to be no hit, just funny tasting smoke. I do get what you mean but its in the same ballpark as 0% Alcohol, how many would even bother...

It could become a casual habit and thats prob what the Tobacco companies are bargaining on. Bring those old smokers back in because the "new" cigs arent addictive.

Last edited:
If theres no Nicotine then why would someone get addicted.

The routine. I think I made myself quite clear on that.

There is no hit as it stands. When I take a drag, I'm not like "Aww, fuck yeah! That's the shit!" It's just a thing. There's something there, but it's not nicotine. It's the smoke itself. The comfort of it all. The feeling of it going down your throat. I'm not looking for some sustainable high when I smoke cigarettes.

If the only thing you're arguing as far as addiction goes, is that there is some irresistible, sustainable high, I really hope that you're not one of those people saying that marijuana isn't addictive.

Whatever though. This is a good test. I'm willing to bet the "new smoker" statistics maintain their current levels, despite nicotine being lowered. You know when people wouldn't give a shit? When they made the sensation of smoking just like breathing air. If there was no feeling when you inhaled, nobody would smoke.

You will NEVER see a vape store selling 100mg nicotine for end users, you would absolutely get nicotine poisoning. 100mg nicotine is used to make juice at different nic strengths, eg. 1.8 ml of 100mg nic in a 60ml bottle will give you a 3mg nicotine juice, 3mg juice is the most popular in the vaping industry.

How exactly do smokers,obese, and drunks save the Government money?
Oh didn't know that. I've taken a hit of a vape that was stronger than any cig imaginable. I have buddy that hits his vape at 200 watts all day long with the oil added. Insane

But people who die sooner collect less benefits and save the government money

The routine. I think I made myself quite clear on that.

There is no hit as it stands. When I take a drag, I'm not like "Aww, fuck yeah! That's the shit!" It's just a thing. There's something there, but it's not nicotine. The comfort of it all. The feeling of it going down your throat.

766555.gif

BDQwE.gif

Oh didn't know that. I've taken a hit of a vape that was stronger than any cig imaginable. I have buddy that hits his vape at 200 watts all day long with the oil added. Insane

But people who die sooner collect less benefits and save the government money
Lots of people will vape quite high watts, its just to get a bigger cloud (its kind of silly) :) chances are he was vaping 3mg juice. Most guys who sub ohm vape use 3mg, the delivery of nicotine would be quite high if it was above 3mg. Vaping is actually really safe compared to cigarettes 97% safer (health wise).

Another example of how Congress has ceded legislation-making authority to the executive branch. :(

I wouldn't say "cede", but more like "delegate".

Each of the regulatory agencies in the United States (FTC, FDA, SEC, etc) were established by Congress, empowered by Congress to carry out their duties, and their board members must be confirmed by Congress.

The task to regulate the manufacturing/distribution/marketing tobacco product was given to the FDA through the Tobacco Control Act back in 2009, now they're just carrying out the duties entrusted to them to make a well-known addictive product a bit "safer".

Last edited:
As a smoker, I'm actually for a more smoke-free future. I've always justified it with "we're a dying breed", ironically. But I'm afraid that as we are going through that "smoking is nasty/unhealthy/uncool" phase right now, it will soon be so taboo that it becomes cool again. Hell, with this, soon even nicotine could become a black market good.

I wouldn't say "cede", but more like "delegate".

Each of the regulatory agencies in the United States (FTC, FDA, SEC, etc) were established by Congress, empowered by Congress to carry out their duties, and their board members must be confirmed by Congress.

The task to regulate the manufacturing/distribution/marketing tobacco product was given to the FDA through the Tobacco Control Act back in 2009, now they're just carrying out the duties entrusted to them to make a well-known addictive product a bit "safer".

Yeah. It's a problem either way. Next we debate the nuance of non-delegation. Really wanna?

Great news for tobacco companies and pharma. Now they can sell twice as many cigarettes to their existing customer base while kids will happily pick up the cigs in the safe knowledge that nicotine levels aren't high enough to get them hooked.

This of course ignores the blindingly obvious fact that nicotine by itself is only mildly addictive and essentially harmless. It's all the other chemicals in the cigarettes that, along with the nicotine, really get you hopelessly addicted. It's also all the other chemicals and tar and crap in cigarettes that conspire to give you terminal diseases, NOT the nicotine. So if smokers are ploughing through more cigarettes then they are going to be more susceptible to the cancers, etc.

Awesome work, FDA!

Sounds like a reasonable measure.

Nicotine is not why people smoke but why they become addicted.

Fully support it based on my limited understanding.

When is this going into effect? I need to prepare my lungs for twice as much tar.

Those who already smoke will smoke more, but will cig's being not so addictive cut down on new smokers becoming hooked?

People will smoke more.

Bit of a stretch there between smokes and booze, and even more so with fine china.......

Also, if you cut the % in beer from 5 to 4, or 4 in light beer to 3.5 I still think you would see a 6-pack drinker having 6. If you cut 80 proof hooch to 70 I dont think many people would drink much more unless youre a raging alcoholic...

If you reduce the amount of alcohol in in liquor, will people drink less?

Cut heroin to be less pure, will people use less?

Last edited:
I cant be the only one that realizes how much of a horrible, pointless, awful idea this is...too lazy to read comments atm

cigarettes are like $8 a pack in some states. I'm sure many will continue to smoke, but what this does is prevent new smokers from getting hooked so easily.

8$/pack?

Lol, the price is well over 10$/pack in some states, in NY it's like 13$/pack.

This just means I'll have to smoke 30x as much and buy 30x as many cigarettes. I'm sure the cigarette companies are having a red panty night right now.

Back