Favorite fight/fights of last weekend

Mr Wings

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
DON'T READ EVERYTHING!!!

I know 200 wasn't all that we had hoped. It was very good, but hard to live up to the hype. To help us feel better, let's reminisce about our favorite moments.

What were your favorite fights last weekend (Thurs through Saturday). Name one, or name ten.

For YOUR convenience, I've listed all the fights below.

First, my top ten, with descriptions. I was surprised to realize that my favorite fight by far was Joanna vs Gadelha. What a war.

1)Joanna vs Gadelha: non-stop action. A war with a beautiful comeback. Gadelha landed 4 takedowns, winning the first 2 rounds. Jedrzejczyk, with an endless gas tank, lights up Gadelha on the feet I. The final three rounds, landing a total of 176 significant strikes in the fight. This was my favorite fight of the weekend.
2)Cain vs Browne: Cain returns to his old form, with non-stop aggression. He puts his wrestling and striking together, even landing a nasty wheel kick to the head, smothering Browne and finishing him.
3)Alan Jouban vs Belal Muhammad: a serious war. Jouban drops Muhammad three times in the first two rounds. Muhammad shows crazy heart, survives, and comes back to score tons of headshots on Jouban in round 3.
4)Dillshaw vs Assuncao: Dillishaw proves he's still one of the best, avenging an earlier loss to Assuncao in impressive fashion.
5)Dos Anjos vs Alvarez: Alvarez pulls off the upset with a standing TKO against RDA in round 1.
6)Hunt vs Brock: Brock wins round 1, but Hunt defends 3 or 4 takedowns in round 2. Brock lands serious GNP in round 3, Hunt showing his toughness and surviving.
7)Aldo vs Edgar: Aldo shows he's still at the top, landing hard strikes against Edgar. Aldo wins without utilizing many of his patented leg kicks. Edgar shows his skill as well, landing many times on Aldo throughout the fight. Refrains from tossing his hat when the decision goes to Aldo.
8)Mousasi vs Thiago Santos: Mousasi beats the crap out of the up and comer Santos.
9)Miesha vs Nunes: Nunes brings dominance back to the 135 division, destroying one of the best. We have a new face at 135; she looks strong enough to defend the belt a few times, but time will tell.
10)Doo Ho Choi vs Thiago Tavares: Ho gets his third straight first-round KO; we have a new threat in McGregor and Aldo's division.
HONORABLE MENTIONS
-Peña vs Zingano
-Joe Duffy vs Mitch Clark
-Will Brooks vs Ross Pearson
-Silva vs Cormier

THE FIGHTS

UFC Fight Night: Dos Anjos vs. Alvarez

Main Card (UFC Fight Pass)

-Lightweight Eddie Alvarez def. Rafael dos Anjos (c) TKO (punches) 1 3:49 [a]
-Heavyweight Derrick Lewis def. Roy Nelson Decision (split) (29-28, 28-29, 29-28) 3 5:00
-Welterweight Alan Jouban def. Belal Muhammad Decision (unanimous) (28-27, 29-28, 29-27) 3 5:00
-Lightweight Joseph Duffy def. Mitch Clarke Submission (rear-naked choke) 1 0:25
Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
-Welterweight Alberto Mina def. Mike Pyle KO (flying knee and punches) 2 1:17
-Lightweight John Makdessi def. Mehdi Baghdad Decision (split) (28-29, 29-28, 29-28) 3 5:00
-Bantamweight Anthony Birchak def. Dileno Lopes Decision (split) (27-30, 29-28, 29-28) 3 5:00
-Bantamweight Pedro Munhoz def. Russell Doane Submission (guillotine choke) 1 2:08
-Bantamweight Felipe Arantes def. Jerrod Sanders Submission (armbar) 2 1:39
-Lightweight Gilbert Burns def. Łukasz Sajewski Submission (armbar) 1 4:57
-Bantamweight Marco Beltrán def. Reginaldo Vieira Submission (rear-naked choke) 2 3:04
-Welterweight Vicente Luque def. Alvaro Herrera Submission (D'Arce choke) 2 3:52

The Ultimate Fighter: Team Joanna vs. Team Cláudia Finale

Main Card (Fox Sports 1)
Weight class
Method Round Time Notes
-Women's Strawweight Joanna Jędrzejczyk(c) def. Cláudia Gadelha Decision (unanimous) (48-46, 48-45, 48-46) 5 5:00 [a]
-Light Heavyweight Andrew Sanchez def. Khalil Rountree Decision (unanimous) (30-25, 30-25, 30-26) 3 5:00 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/#cite_note-13
-Women's Strawweight Tatiana Suarez def. Amanda Cooper Submission (D'Arce choke) 1 3:43 [c]
-Lightweight Will Brooks def. Ross Pearson Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28) 3 5:00
-Featherweight Doo Ho Choi def. Thiago Tavares KO (punches) 1 2:42
-Lightweight Joaquim Silva def. Andrew Holbrook KO (punches) 1 0:34
Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)
-Featherweight Gray Maynard def. Fernando Bruno Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) 3 5:00
-Flyweight Matheus Nicolau def. John Moraga Decision (split) (29-28, 28-29, 29-28) 3 5:00
-Light Heavyweight Josh Stansbury def. Cory Hendricks Decision (majority) (29-27, 29-27, 28-28) 3 5:00
-Middleweight Cezar Ferreira def. Anthony Smith Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28) 3 5:00
-Lightweight Kevin Lee def. Jake Matthews TKO (punches) 1 4:06
-Welterweight Li Jingliang def. Anton Zakir KO (punches) 1 2:46 UFC 200: Tate vs. Nunes

Main Card
-
Women's Bantamweight Amanda Nunes def. Miesha Tate (c) Submission (rear-naked choke) 1 3:16 [a]
-Heavyweight Brock Lesnar def. Mark Hunt Decision (unanimous) (29-27, 29-27, 29-27) 3 5:00
-Light Heavyweight Daniel Cormier(c) def. Anderson Silva Decision (unanimous) (30-26, 30-26, 30-26) 3 5:00 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/#cite_note-39
-Featherweight José Aldo def. Frankie Edgar Decision (unanimous) (49-46, 49-46, 48-47) 5 5:00 [c]
-Heavyweight Cain Velasquez def. Travis Browne TKO (punches) 1 4:57
Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)
-Women's Bantamweight Julianna Peña def. Cat Zingano Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28) 3 5:00
-Catchweight (171.25 lbs) Kelvin Gastelum def. Johny Hendricks Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 30-27, 30-27) 3 5:00
-Bantamweight T.J. Dillashaw def. Raphael Assunção Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) 3 5:00
-Lightweight Sage Northcutt def. Enrique Marín Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28) 3 5:00
-Lightweight Joe Lauzon def. Diego Sanchez TKO (punches) 1 1:26
-Middleweight Gegard Mousasi def. Thiago Santos TKO (punches) 1 4:32
-Lightweight Jim Miller def. Takanori Gomi TKO (punches) 1 2:18

Joanna vs Claudia 2. Was on the edge of my seat the whole fight.

Yeah, it was a great fight. I just had high hopes that it would be a big war, so I was let down that it ended so quickly.
I woulda been down for a crazy ass brawl too, but I was just pumped to see Lauzon do that. Fucking nobody finishes Diego.(except Penn)

usa-today-9377070.0.jpg

Jedrzejczyk vs. Gadelha.

Even the "Heavy Hands" analysts thought that it was the best fight of the long weekend.

Jouban and Muhammad was a war. Both guys showed heart and Muhammad must have a concrete slab under that beard of his. Those shots he took, especially that shin flush to the jaw, were brutal and he just kept going forward. Although Jouban looked like he was going to succumb to the onslaught in round 3 he stayed up and fought on til the bell.

Loved that fight.

The women's SW title fight was excellent as well.

Jedrzejczyk vs. Gadelha.

Even the "Heavy Hands" analysts thought that it was the best fight of the long weekend.

I'll take your word for it! Not gonna listen to the whole thing now, though the intro is awesome and promising (calm). Glad to know I'm not alone.

Jouban and Muhammad was a war. Both guys showed heart and Muhammad must have a concrete slab under that beard of his, those shots he took, especially that shin flush to the jaw, were brutal and he just kept going forward.

Oh god yes. Jouban had the superior technique, but dam, Muhammad was a warrior and really took it to Jouban in the third.

Joanna vs Claudia was great and I'm probably in the minority here but I enjoyed Silva vs Cormier too.

Wow, Gastelum really jumped up in the rankings. He was #12 and Hendricks #6, so Gastelum must be ranked #6 now. He might be 1 win away from a title shot.

I was sad to see Hendrick's still can't get back to form.

Wow, Gastelum really jumped up in the rankings. He was #12 and Hendricks #6, so Gastelum must be ranked #6 now. He might be 1 win away from a title shot.

I was sad to see Hendrick's still can't get back to form.
I think Johny should have won but Kelvin looked fantastic regardless. One away might be too soon. Guy is still just 24.

Joanna vs Claudia was great and I'm probably in the minority here but I enjoyed Silva vs Cormier too.

There were some amazing moments; Silva landed some great strikes standing. Plus, the matchup just had me shitting my pants, like "I can't believe these two are squaring off."

I think Johny should have won but Kelvin looked fantastic regardless. One away might be too soon. Guy is still just 24.

How did you think Johnny won? I remember thinking it was clearly a Gastelum win. He was more agressive and landed more, I thought.

So many great fights in the last little while. It's been a wild ride.

Back