Favorite Closed-Guard Pass?

El Ninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What is your favorite way to pass someone's guard?

elbows on thigh!

no way... joking :)

Stand - open the guard.. Pass. Roger Gracie/Marcelo style.

Or the double under, and stack pass.

Closed guard pass isnt really a pass.. because to pass.. you have to open.

Standing is the easiest way to open the guard, imop

Don't know what it's called, but my favorite break and pass with the gi is this:

Posture up, control his right sleeve with your left hand and pull it tight. Step up with your left foot and then step back and up with your right foot so that you are now on your feet in a staggered stance, left foot ahead of right. Your body currently is standing with a good base, knees slightly bent, back straight and your body is slightly angled to the right with your right leg back slightly so that he can't grab it with his left hand. You now switch that sleeve grip from your left to right hand and continue to pull tight, so that his right arm is crossed across his abdomen. Now grab the gi fabric on his right knee with your left hand and push down while taking a step backwards with your right leg, which will break his guard open and cause the lower half of his body to fall. Time this so when the break happens, your drop your left knee right over his right thigh and trap it. Now finish the pass however you like.

Sorry for the long explanation, but this is kind of my goto break and pass. If somebody can explain it better go ahead.

Stand up and drop a over hand right to their face and then pass

Don't know what it's called, but my favorite break and pass with the gi is this:

Posture up, control his right sleeve with your left hand and pull it tight. Step up with your left foot and then step back and up with your right foot so that you are now on your feet in a staggered stance, left foot ahead of right. Your body currently is standing with a good base, knees slightly bent, back straight and your body is slightly angled to the right with your right leg back slightly so that he can't grab it with his left hand. You now switch that sleeve grip from your left to right hand and continue to pull tight, so that his right arm is crossed across his abdomen. Now grab the gi fabric on his right knee with your left hand and push down while taking a step backwards with your right leg, which will break his guard open and cause the lower half of his body to fall. Time this so when the break happens, your drop your left knee right over his left thigh and trap it. Now finish the pass however you like.

Sorry for the long explanation, but this is kind of my goto break and pass. If somebody can explain it better go ahead.

I've had a lot of success with this one. I like to push the guys leg towards his chest by shoving my hips forward and maneuvering around the leg. Gets me right to knee on belly.

Usually I do double unders, or break his guard, then control the knees for a jumping pass. Lately I;ve been experimenting with the bearhug the legs, sprawl out, and then pivot to pass, though it feels kind of gay :redface:

tickle the butthole and pass while opponent is wondering wtf you are doing and why it feels so good

I wish I had a favorite, but I suck shit at passing guard. I guess if I had to pick one it would be the double under or the single under (leg on your shoulder) and push the other leg away with you hand. Then just flatten out and pass to the leg up side.

Lately I;ve been experimenting with the bearhug the legs, sprawl out, and then pivot to pass, though it feels kind of gay :redface:

God I hate that one when it's done to me!

I find it very difficult to defend.

The one where you standup and thrust your hips forward kinda like you would in sex, it works everytime. But it has to be really really hard.

i just let them sweep me and then somehow end up in half guard or have them in my guard.. lol then again im a white belt and.. nah i use a 3 move combo.
1) simple wedge to break and knee over thigh.
if i cant break it with that,
2) i move around and get my knew up between their legs and get into combat base,
3)if i cant pass i resort to the stand up pass.. just gotta be quick.

or a substitute number 2 with a trapping of the arm and trap it with their body, i forgot what its called i needa find a video..

Back