Fantasy UFC Draft - Just like fantasy Football or NBA or NHL but for MMA

• Thread starter Deleted member 560647
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 560647

If You liked my post here’s the discord link invite https://discord.gg/G7YABT2uRd

_____~~~~~~~_______

HEY EVERYONE I AM A FANTASY SPORTS ADDICT AND FREAK.

NFL NBA MLB NHL EPL you name it.

But for whatever reason , probably due to the young-ish nature of this sport we call MMA , there is yet to be a real Season/Yearly long Fantasy MMA website. Draftkings only does week by week and not really in a league.

We will draft the entire UFC roster.
Everyone’s team will look totally different.
If one person drafts Islam Makhachev, he will only be on one team.
If somebody drafts Charles Oliveira, than no one else can pick Charles for their team.

Our first fantasy event will commence on Islam vs Charles 2.

The final event will be on UFC 300!

*******If you liked my post and are interested qhere’s the discord link invite https://discord.gg/G7YABT2uRd
We currently have 4 people (real human beings, probably) playing! Would be awesome to have a few more from the Sherdog forums.

There used to be some here on sherdog. I think @TCE was the host?
I could do something like that here again but I wont be joining no discord dammit you youngsters
excuse-me.gif

Won't work for mma...some guys fight 4x per year and some only 1x. Has to be an event by event type of game like on DK

It works but you need to have “waiver pick ups” for the weekly events and also big rosters like at least 25 fighters multiplied by 8-12 teams.

but I understand what you are saying in that you won’t be having new “games” and stats every day.

Every team will go through the same thing, so it is a level playing field. and when your fighter DOES finally fight… it is fairly exciting. And yes it does hurt when they lose or get KTFO.

we have done a few years/seasons of this now since 2019. It increases the investment in the sport quite a bit and in the most random fighters and fights.

Here are the rosters for the most recent “SEASON” which began , arbitrarily , on The Jones vs Gane event.

There used to be some here on sherdog. I think @TCE was the host?
I could do something like that here again but I wont be joining no discord dammit you youngsters
excuse-me.gif
Discord facilitates the league extremely well because it has “real time messaging”. Please join, sir!

It works but you need to have “waiver pick ups” for the weekly events and also big rosters like at least 25 fighters multiplied by 8-12 teams.

but I understand what you are saying in that you won’t be having new “games” and stats every day.

Every team will go through the same thing, so it is a level playing field. and when your fighter DOES finally fight… it is fairly exciting. And yes it does hurt when they lose or get KTFO.

we have done a few years/seasons of this now since 2019. It increases the investment in the sport quite a bit and in the most random fighters and fights.

Here are the rosters for the most recent “SEASON” which began , arbitrarily , on The Jones vs Gane event.

Not exactly sure why I'm even entertaining this but just goes to show work is slow as shit right now...so how would waivers work with "free agents", new guys signed from contender series, guys cut. Also if you draft a team of guys that fight 3 or 4 times per year you'll have a shit ton more fights than the teams with guys that only fight 1 to 2 times per year...is there a max number of fights you can have per year?

Seems dumb. Fights get cancelled, fighters get hurt, fights get moved, trying to make sure you have someone who is active is tough.

Not exactly sure why I'm even entertaining this but just goes to show work is slow as shit right now...so how would waivers work with "free agents", new guys signed from contender series, guys cut. Also if you draft a team of guys that fight 3 or 4 times per year you'll have a shit ton more fights than the teams with guys that only fight 1 to 2 times per year...is there a max number of fights you can have per year?
Someone is going to draft Colby and realize they might as well have drafted Fedor.

If things are slow at work and you can click out of Sherdog… Here is an example of one possible way of doing waivers.

in this setup we use a “Waiver Auction” before each event. People “nominate” the free agents (you used this term so I assume you do have experience playing other fantasy sports before). We are, each team is, arbitrarily, given $200 “waiver money” to pick up these free agents.

So pretty much when a “free agent” gets a fight booked there perceived “value” may go up or possibly way down if it’s, on paper, a mismatch.

And of course someone could nominate a “free agent” before he or she has a fight booked.

We have been using weight classes in place of “positions” (quarterback, wide receiver etc or point guard, power forward for NBA). If your fighter gets cut, then you can replace him in these “weekly waiver auctions”.

That just means you drafted way better than someone (probably). Some fighters will take 3 Ls in a year and that is worse than someone winning once and not fighting again (usually).

it is part of the game, I suppose. Do I wait on a champion to get booked (2021, 2022 Jon Jones frustrated a few “fantasy owners” for sure) or do I replace him with a lower ranked or unranked fighter?
We also allowed trades in the most complex set up and used Roto Scoring in addition to bonus points for Title and Ranked Fights, so that unranked wins would not dominate the scoring system.

In the complex scoring system, we incorporated miscellaneous stats from UFCStats.com , such as “Strikes Landed”, “Takedowns”, “Knockdowns”, “Submissions” and of course wins and losses (the less losses you have the more points you will get, so that gives certain teams that do “fight less” an edge of sorts).

Anyhow, in the opening post I gave the most barebones explanation. But if you are still reading here is the link to the in depth rules that is long af aka “5 round post” https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...y-roto-league-mma-recruitment-thread.4299985/

which is pretty much a copy and paste of the original Reddit post made by the creator of this “fantasy mma” format.

Hope that answered some of your questions. FREE AND FUN BROUGHT TO U by xyience probably

“something I love about fantasy baseball/football/basketball is the emotional component of having a player for an entire year. Like I have Michael Thomas in my fantasy football league and am thus a fan of him.” - the creator of fantasy mma in 2019

Back