Fans vs. Critics discrepancies in ratings (Doctor Who s11, Ghostbusters, Punisher season 1, etc.)

Bohemian Rhapsody at just 49% on metacritic and 62% at RT but has a 4.5/5 audience average at RT, 8.3 on imdb, and has made almost 200 million in the US, a world wide total of 550 million dollars

People who have watched Altered Carbon seem to like it but critics reviews aren’t great.

Bohemian Rhapsody at just 49% on metacritic and 62% at RT but has a 4.5/5 audience average at RT, 8.3 on imdb, and has made almost 200 million in the US, a world wide total of 550 million dollars

I need to see that movie yet!

I think it did pretty good overall after getting absolutely demolished by critics. Especially internationally, where American critics' reviews won't hold sway.
It does seem movies are internationally critic proof hence how the Transformers movies always make bank. Personally it does hurt the legs of a movie in the US if a movie is trashed by critics like Suicide Squad which did well but had horrendous week to week drops

People who have watched Altered Carbon seem to like it but critics reviews aren’t great.
Wow! I'm gonna watch this!!

It seems like a Bladerunner/Ghost in the Shell mish mash

I’m gonna guess with both Doctor Who and Ghostbusters you had fans pissed about the female cast.

I agree with the critics more, but definitely not always. Fans are now going idiocracy and figuring anythong critics give a crap score to is something the masses should like, and it's gross.

If social justice is at play, the critics will lie. We know that.

I’m gonna guess with both Doctor Who and Ghostbusters you had fans pissed about the female cast.
Ghostbusters was the umpteenth remake taking out white males, so some people were annoyed. It also wasn't very good.

Ghostbusters was the umpteenth remake taking out white males, so some people were annoyed. It also wasn't very good.

I honestly don’t even remember if I saw that movie. I kinda think I did, maybe, but don’t really remember it.

I honestly don’t even remember if I saw that movie. I kinda think I did, maybe, but don’t really remember it.
I've seen most of it on cable. A bunch of fast talk modern garbage dialogue, and a worse version of the original all around. Vcritics lied about it being good.

Lied.

+2 major Golden Globes, just to add to the confusion.

+2 major Golden Globes, just to add to the confusion.

To be fair Golden globes are like a midway point between the peoples choice awards and the Oscars, they are not really prestigius or are a prediction to the Oscars like the guild awards or the BAFTA.

For the last 10 years it seem people have been going nuts over Queen and is one fo the reason the movie is so loved by fans, I dont really remember Queen being that big in the 90s (maybe its because we had our own bands and lots of them) but when people listened to classics it was usually Beatles, led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, I remember Hendrix being bigger than now, I feel like Queen was a secondary group back then but may have been just my circle and preference, buit I dont remember them being that important in the rock/guitar magazines.

i just finished binge watching the 1st season of the punisher. and while i like it, i cant help but admit i was a little disappointed. i get that the hero has to be somewhat vulnerable, but to me he seemed no better than any other badass marine from some movie. he certainly didnt feel like he was some next level type. however, the dhs lady was really nice to watch

Two other good examples are Venom and The Last Jedi. Venom is like 88% for viewers and 28% for critics. TLJ is nearly the opposite.

For once I agree with the critics

*about Venom not The Last Jedi

The Dr. Who shitty user rating is the result of angry Incel nerds raging about a female doctor.

Theres definitely some of that, indeed I think situations like TLJ and Ghostbusters deliberately went looking for incel nerd rage both to draw more interest to the film and to try and make any criticism of it difficult for fear of being labled one.

For once I agree with the critics

*about Venom not The Last Jedi

Honestly the critics aren't totally wrong, overall I think Disney do tend to put out the better blockbusters which I think has made it easier for the bias to creep in covering them when they don't as with the Starwars sequels or some of the lesser Marvel films.

Wow! I'm gonna watch this!!

It seems like a Bladerunner/Ghost in the Shell mish mash
I really wanted to like this show because I dig the whole Cyber Punk thing, and not enough media is produced in the genre. BUT the show never really caught my attention and I only made it two or three episodes in. Anyone have cyber punkish movie or book recommendations? I've read all of William Gibson (even enjoyed the Kenau Reeves Johnny Mnemonic film), Walter Jon William, Bruce Sterling....loved the Cyberpunk and Shadowrun role playing games too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blunttruth
Back