Fairtex or Twins Special Thai Pads?

ECS123

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Fairtex or Twins Special Thai Pads?

I know this topic has been discussed before, however, I have done some research and narrowed my choices down to the following two Thai pads. I think that I would prefer buckle closure, because of the velcro readjustment and wear out issues, that I have heard about, however, any input as to Fairtex or Twins Special, and Buckle vs. Velcro is welcome. Thanks again.

They are:

Fairtex Extra Thick Thai Pads (16" x 8" x 4.5") (Only Available in Velcro Closure) at $139.95.

xttpad2.jpg

Or,

Twins Special Large (16" x 8" x 4") (Buckles Closure) at $109.95.

1256346904.gif

:icon_chee

Why do you want big pads? I really like small or medium pads. The Twins large are heavy as hell.

Both are great pads though.

They do look like handheld body shields. :D

If it's any consolation, I think the Fairtex are schnazzier looking.

Why do you want big pads? I really like small or medium pads. The Twins large are heavy as hell.

Both are great pads though.

I am not huge, but I am a fairly decent size guy at 6"1" and 215-220 lbs. My elbow to fist measures 16", so I thought the large size would be better suited for me. The large weighs about 3 to 3.5 lbs. right? I thought they really start to get overly heavy in the XL size? What are most Westerner's at Sinbi using?

Ps. What is your opinion on buckle closure vs velcro? Thanks.

Last edited:
The large weighs about 3 to 3.5 lbs. right? I thought they really start to get overly heavy in the XL size?

I just got some of the Twins Large (velcro) and them suckas weigh about 4.5 lbs each.

The Fairtex curved thai pads are light and have good padding, not soft at all but you wont feel kicks hard.

Most of the trainers at Sinbi use either small or medium.

I'm 6'0" and 210lbs and use small or medium. I do have a large size of King curved pads that I used when holding for a 270lb monster, but they sucked to hold. It's not that they are heavy on the shoulders, it's that it is slow to move them around to catch what they are throwing.

Thanks to everyone who posted for the input, and information. I really appreciate it. I am definitely going to rethink my choices.

I have some Fairtex extra thick and though they are heavy, I like them a lot - particularly when holding for big lads and newer students.

FWIW, they've been beaten on a few times a week for almost 2 yrs and the velcro is still very solid.

I like the velcro rather than the buckles as I find it quicker to get in and out of - and easier to dial in exactly how cinched up you want the straps to be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back