Facebook Says It Is Deleting Accounts at the Direction of the U.S. and Israeli Governments

JonesBones

Excuse my contraflow
@Steel
Reaction score
I know I made a recent thread on Facebook but I didn't want this story to be buried in it.

Glenn Greenwald reporting:

IN SEPTEMBER OF last year, we noted that Facebook representatives were meeting with the Israeli government to determine which Facebook accounts of Palestinians should be deleted on the ground that they constituted “incitement.” The meetings — called for and presided over by one of the most extremist and authoritarian Israeli officials, pro-settlement Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked — came after Israel threatened Facebook that its failure to voluntarily comply with Israeli deletion orders would result in the enactment of laws requiring Facebook to do so, upon pain of being severely fined or even blocked in the country.

The predictable results of those meetings are now clear and well-documented. Ever since, Facebook has been on a censorship rampage against Palestinian activists who protest the decadeslong, illegal Israeli occupation, all directed and determined by Israeli officials. Indeed, Israeli officials have been publicly boasting about how obedient Facebook is when it comes to Israeli censorship orders

Shortly after news broke earlier this month of the agreement between the Israeli government and Facebook, Israeli Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked said Tel Aviv had submitted 158 requests to the social media giant over the previous four months asking it to remove content it deemed “incitement.” She said Facebook had granted 95 percent of the requests.

https://theintercept.com/2017/12/30...direction-of-the-u-s-and-israeli-governments/

They also shut down the leader of Chechnya's accounts recently. I expect more.

The strongman leader of the Chechen Republic has long been a prolific social media user, filling his accounts with photos of him cuddling his cat, lifting weights or soliciting poems about President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia.

So when Ramzan Kadyrov’s Facebook and Instagram accounts, which had four million followers between them, were unexpectedly taken down on Dec. 23, people took notice.

A Facebook spokeswoman said that Mr. Kadyrov’s accounts were deactivated because he had just been added to a United States sanctions list and that the company was legally obligated to act.

Many other people on sanctions lists, however, remain active on Facebook and Instagram, including President Nicolas Maduro of Venezuela and many in his government. But the move against the Chechen leader — despite his violent background — is only the latest in a seemingly arbitrary and often opaque decision-making process that has drawn criticism of the social media giant.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/world/europe/chechnya-kadyrov-facebook.html

Ayelet Shaked = Ayelet Shook imo

Edit - Well damn, it's actually a fuckable female

1200px-AYELET_SHAKED.jpg

Ramzan was PISSED his Instagram page of 3.4m followers and 800k Facebook page wered removed. Kind of funny when you think about it

He did say though he vows to continue on social media whatever the outlet may be. I guess people really digged all his workout videos he posted. Lol

Ramzan was PISSED his Instagram page of 3.4m followers and 800k Facebook page wered removed. Kind of funny when you think about it

He did say though he vows to continue on social media whatever the outlet may be. I guess people really digged all his workout videos he posted. Lol

I mean nobody is gonna defend this guy but as the New York Times said, it is an example of arbitrary and opaque rules. It is a slippery slope.

But didnt they let ISIS use Facebook as a recruitment tool? And did not shut them pages down.

Big Brother is looking out for you.

No Palestinians should be allowed to have facebook accounts.

But didnt they let ISIS use Facebook as a recruitment tool? And did not shut them pages down.

Muslims in general probably shouldnt be allowed to have facebook accounts. Sucks that a few bad apples spoil the bunch but oh well.

well that capitalism for you. facebook is it own company. so they can then do what they want with whatever bias. if you do not like it do not use facebook.

it like me about cnn international or euronews. it is their right to be bias as fuck with regard to western hypocrisy on foreign policy.

Kadyrov? What a sick fuck that guy is. Hope someone assassinates him

Back