Explain Significant Strikes

JohnMang

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Can someone please explain what commentators in the UFC exactly mean when they're talking about Significant Strikes?

Do they mean strikes that cause visible damage (scenario 1) or strikes that hit any part of the body without being blocked (scenario 2)?

In that case what exactly would Total Strikes be? If Sig Strikes are 'scenario 1' then would total strikes be all strikes landed except those blocked and if Sig Strikes are 'scenario 2' then would Total Strikes be strikes all strikes landed on the body including blocked strikes?

and to clarify when I say blocked strikes I mean blocked by the arms or checked leg kicks, know what I mean?

This is how I understand it:
Joe Rogan said not too long ago it is a strike that makes significant damage, so scenario 1. Still very relative, as to what actually is visible damage.
Ex.
A jab that is blocked is a missed strike.

A jab (unless very stiff) is a strike.

A straight punch to the face, possibly making opponent back up, is a significant strike.

This is how I understand it:
Joe Rogan said not too long ago it is a strike that makes significant damage, so scenario 1. Still very relative, as to what actually is visible damage.
Ex.
A jab that is blocked is a missed strike.

A jab (unless very stiff) is a strike.

A straight punch to the face, possibly making opponent back up, is a significant strike.

This^

The problem with that link is that it says strikes at a distance but it doesn't say whether they including strikes that blocked strikes or not. It says all strikes but I'm not sure thats what they meant.

KnockoutsGalore provided a link with the right answers. ViktorElias and Iwearspeedos are wrong.

During the fights when they show the stats they're so fucking inaccurate. I dont remember the fight but I saw the numbers for significant strikes going up while punches were being blocked. Its not accurate and its stupid for them to even put that shit on since whoever is counting them is retarded.

Back