experience in novice tourney div

FStep

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
i'm entering my first tourney in 2 weeks in novice no gi div (i've had about 7 weeks of training to this point) and have heard there's a lot of sandbagging, etc in novice

so question is for those who have actually competed at that level, how much experience do people in novice have ... are there gonna be judo/wrestlers that have been training for years but just started bjj in there, do a lot of people just lie about how long they've been doing it, how many people are there with 3 months or less of training in there usually, etc ... i plan on competing regardless just trying to get an idea of what i'll be up against

does someone with this little training have a reasonble shot at winning (i'm stronger then most people my size and have good speed and agility from football if that makes a difference)

don't worry about sandbaggers. work your game. yeah, some pansy asses stay novices but thats on them...not you. be confident in your technique and work your game.

i'm working my game and i'll compete at 100% even if there're guys with 5 years experience there thats not the issue i'm just trying to get an idea of what level competition i'll have

unfortunately there is sandbagging in every grappling tourney i think ... chances are you might have 1 sandbagger in your div but if you have good speed and can overpower your opponents in novice div you should have a fair shot as technique is less important at beginners level

just do your best and be happy regardless how good you do as long as you give it absolutely all you got competing is good experience that will help your game no matter what

FStep said:
i'm working my game and i'll compete at 100% even if there're guys with 5 years experience there thats not the issue i'm just trying to get an idea of what level competition i'll have

thing is, you really won't know until you get out there and roll. in my 1st tourney i was hella nervous about the competition and alla that. and i rolled w/ about 2 month under my belt. i did okay, i placed 3rd. i felt when it was over that i could have won. placing was great but the whole ride home(4 hours) i had time to reflect on what my weaknesses are.

with that said, you'll probably do fine and the level of comp will be at, around or slightly above your skill level. that doesnt mean folks don't sandbag. but don't let that deter you from mixing it up. by the middle of your 1st match, you'll realize everything is cool.

I've been wrestling for 9 years, and I've won Canadian Nationals for wrestling, but I've only been doing BJJ for 6 months. My first tourney is in Novemember, and I was planning on going in the no-gi intermediate. Is that sandbagging?

rory_44 said:
I've been wrestling for 9 years, and I've won Canadian Nationals for wrestling, but I've only been doing BJJ for 6 months. My first tourney is in Novemember, and I was planning on going in the no-gi intermediate. Is that sandbagging?

intermediate is a step up from beginner/novice division....so personally I'd say if you have any competitive wrestling background, you should at least start at the intermediate level....leave the beginner/novice division to the real rookies.

Will that ever happen...fuck no.

rory_44 said:
not at all thats where you should be i think ... you will probably have a hard challenge once you hit the ground as some people with 2 years+ experience will know moves you won't but you should start every match with an easy 2-3 point adv and in good position because of your wrestling so it evens out (if you went to beginners it would be sandbagging)

Back