Movies EXPEND4BLES (Red-Band Trailer, post #137)

Shoulda got Lucy Liu and Uma Thurman instead of Megan Fox and the other Asian chick.

I hope it hits just so Stallone can add another decade to his streak of having a #1 hit in the 70s 80s 90s 00s 10s and now potentially 20s.

I don't want that bad enough that I'd be willing to pay to see this turd.

Is it just me, or does "Expendables" sound like a competitor with "Depends"?

"We know you value your clothing and your furniture. Save both with Expendables brand adult diapers.

We may be Expendable, but we know your pride isn't.

Now available at Walgreens and CVS near you!"

I am not too familiar with the franchise but I saw one of them. I thought Dolph Lundren was a bad guy in the movie?

Iko Uwais is in it (Raid 1&2) he is a Goat tier action star in my book.

tumblr_n7k8uszFwa1rrkahjo1_250.gif

I said somewhere else that he and Jaa better have a fight scene that they are allowed to choreograph.

Looks awful.
Also looks like they cut half the Expendables roster from the movie.

Arnold Schwarzenegger
Bruce Willis
Wesley Snipes
Jet Li
Chuck Norris
Mickey Rourke
Ronda Rousey

They were already shitty movies to begin with, they went woke and inclusionary

Pile of garbage

I said somewhere else that he and Jaa better have a fight scene that they are allowed to choreograph.
They are the two all time best at hand to hand fight scenes in my opinion. Ong Bak blew my mind when it came out, I have probably watched it 30x. I originally went to see The Raid in theaters when it was released with my boy from my gym and our girls at the time. The movie was a fast paced murderous masterpiece. Everything I’ve seen since Raid 1 & 2 has paled in comparison. They are the bar I compare all other action movies to.

I saw the first one and remember almost nothing about it, except that Mickey Rourke had a cool monologue at one point.

They're just like all the new Star Wars/Jurrassic Park etc... The original movies are relics of a better period of cinema. They can't be replicated in the current era.

I think they could be but there's too much of a wink wink with a lot of the flicks that try to replicate older styles or moods, they can never just fully put themselves into the old styles without having to say "we know this is cheesy, we can actually do better than this if we wanted". There are also movies that are made by guys like Eli Roth that love the classics but make modern tributes instead of being able to make something original in the classic styles. The Expendables series is too self aware that it's a gathering of all the classic action stars from back in the day, you have to make it as a legit film and forget that it's a collaboration only dreamt about back in the day. The Dirty Dozen for example did that sort of collaboration the right way, so did Dragons Forever (though it helped that the Little Fortunes' films already used comedy).
Not shooting on film is also a clear giveaway, not that a style of film is dependent on what it's shot on, but it helps when the aesthetic is at least replicated to a degree since the 80's and 90's action flicks were shot that way. I thought Hobo with a Shotgun (12 years old this year though) did a decent job of mixing the trashier vigilante films of the 80's like the Exterminator series with Troma style films, and House of the Devil (though made a while ago by now) did a good job with an early 80's aesthetic with an early to mid-70's style of film, but they are among the very few exceptions. I think the low budget and on location filming as well as shooting on film on both of those examples helped, they also preceded the "wink wink" contagion or at least were made when it was still fledgling (Joss Whedon is patient zero for that shit). I know Hobo with a Shotgun knew what type of film it was and so had an obvious tongue in cheek intent behind it, but it reveled in it more so than poked fun at the genre (it also helped that Troma is also self aware in its' campiness so making a Troma style film would inherently be tongue in cheek).

For big budget examples there's nothing out there though. Studio films are too entrenched in modern filmmaking.

Back