Expats! How hard was it to relocate?

ObsoleteSoul

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Trying to understand how hard the process was for you. How did you decide to take the leap? Did you manage it all yourself, or did your job do it?

Thinking of becoming one in a long line of folks who moved to another country. Thailand seems nice, but, not sure if the culture shock will get to me after awhile. Traveled a lot, but never lived in such a foreign environment. Want to use this remote work for all I can.

basically, I’m scared. Come and tell me it will be alright….

It's difficult. Follow expat subs. Checkout nomad capitalist and other YouTubers for ideas. Look into multiple passports. Look at passport through descent.

After the fuck shit of the past few years, everyone should be scared, leveling up, and acquire 2nd 3rd passports plus citizenship.

Easy path is buying property abroad if wealthy.

Trying to understand how hard the process was for you. How did you decide to take the leap? Did you manage it all yourself, or did your job do it?

Thinking of becoming one in a long line of folks who moved to another country. Thailand seems nice, but, not sure if the culture shock will get to me after awhile. Traveled a lot, but never lived in such a foreign environment. Want to use this remote work for all I can.

basically, I’m scared. Come and tell me it will be alright….

Just don't piss off the Tranny gangsters Many a post on here has told that sad cautionary tale . Don't be statistic brah . Good luck

It's difficult. Follow expat subs. Checkout nomad capitalist and other YouTubers for ideas. Look into multiple passports. Look at passport through descent.

After the fuck shit of the past few years, everyone should be scared, leveling up, and acquire 2nd 3rd passports plus citizenship.

Easy path is buying property abroad if wealthy.
See, this is what I didn’t want to hear. My buddy lived there for awhile and said their nomad visas make it easy to move for at least a bit. Still, will definitely take your suggestions and dive into those expat forums.

Easy for me (US to Mexico). I have a permanent visa now. Even before that it was super lax. Rules are all over the place for different countries and depending on your home country that could effect where you are hoping to move.

I wasn't planning on staying here but I've been remote for years and had moved around the US and there was nowhere I wanted to live that had everything I was looking for. Came to CDMX and never wanted to leave. Rainy but otherwise perfect weather never too hot or cold, entertainment, history, great museums, sports, good for biking, mountains and hiking close, good food, good looking people. Probably never going to leave. As long as you have the opportunity why not? You'll probably regret it if you never gave it a shot.

I see you are really making an effort to stretch those tranny dollars.

God speed, fellow Sherdogger.

Easy for me (US to Mexico). I have a permanent visa now. Even before that it was super lax. Rules are all over the place for different countries and depending on your home country that could effect where you are hoping to move.

I wasn't planning on staying here but I've been remote for years and had moved around the US and there was nowhere I wanted to live that had everything I was looking for. Came to CDMX and never wanted to leave. Rainy but otherwise perfect weather never too hot or cold, entertainment, history, great museums, sports, good for biking, mountains and hiking close, good food, good looking people. Probably never going to leave. As long as you have the opportunity why not? You'll probably regret it if you never gave it a shot.
Interesting. Mexico is on the list, but it’s a bit too close. Thanks for the input. Hope your stay remains as glorious as you make it out to be.

Much easier to get a visa in less developed countries than places like Western Europe, Korea, and Japan. Do you plan to work? Most companies in the US want you living in the states because of the tax complications unless you’re an independent contractor. Working for a local company, expect low wages compared to what you are accustomed to.

Much easier to get a visa in less developed countries than places like Western Europe, Korea, and Japan. Do you plan to work? Most companies in the US want you living in the states because of the tax complications unless you’re an independent contractor. Working for a local company, expect low wages compared to what you are accustomed to.
Oh I have to work. No doubt about that. I’m an Independent contractor. We all work from all over. Nobody cares. Money just gets dropped into the account, no matter where I’m at.

Few people all telling me go out there because it is easy and cheap to live. Pretty central location for a lot of places I want to go to also. Visiting and living are two different beasts though. Thanks!

See, this is what I didn’t want to hear. My buddy lived there for awhile and said their nomad visas make it easy to move for at least a bit. Still, will definitely take your suggestions and dive into those expat forums.

South East Asia is another. If your not watching, world governments are colluding with mandates, lockdowns, and soon CBDCs. Your ability to maneuver is closing.

Everywhere is corrupt but it's better in some places then others. If you got a skill that's marketable, in engineering or CS, IT, A trade, you got work everywhere. A domain independent skill is ideal.

Everyone needs multiple passports and preferably a Plan C in case your country goes full retard like Australia and Canada. Look into digital nomads. look into remote work. My buddy is a CPA. He goes into the office a few times a year if that. Scale up your skills. Another buddy hasn't worked a job since he was a teenager. 1st sign of winter, he's on a flight to South America.

Become a minimalist. 0 car payments. No consumer debt. Get expenses low as possible. It's much easier if you got a rental property or and a skill set that you can monopolize. if it doesn't add value, cut. eliminate all unnecessarily subs you have especially if you dont use.

Trial and error. Live and learn. Speak with grandparents. You may have citizenship by descent.

DONT LISTEN TO YOUTUBE DUDE BRO WITH LAPTOP ON A BEACH. these grifters got a course to shill. A trip to your local library could easily solve.

If you aren't social, learn to be. Majority of people are too complaint and needy to actually go in on the lifestyle. Lots of solitude, no fam or friends etc isn't for everyone. Real talk man, your family and friends will go. Every man must make their own path.

Good luck. Keep me posted.

Interesting. Mexico is on the list, but it’s a bit too close. Thanks for the input. Hope your stay remains as glorious as you make it out to be.

Thanks. And yeah I wouldn't recommend everywhere here but there are definitely spots here like Mexico City and some of the beach cities I could see myself living forever. Just make sure to do your research before pulling the trigger. Find out online the safe zones and dangerous areas. Don't wonder around late at night or go drinking alone until you got a feel of the place. Respect the laws and customs. And learn the length of stay rules and look to see if there's ways to apply for extended stays. Always best to be proactive about that to avoid fines.

i became a v-logger in china that had documented all my meals. i ate bat soup one time before corona was famous.

Back