Exercises for more explosive hooks?

Like this.
You should put all body energy into power hook or half hook asap of course.
The exercises should be done with thinking about all body here, from feet.
Dexter for example I suggest should know how to explain this better than I.
Sano does have sport related degree and had training under belt.

I have a couple of these Bulgarian bags and have been using them more, really focusing on exploding through the motion.

I also do a lot of sideways medicine ball slams.

I'm not an expert, but still listen to me.

To add power to a punch you can do one or all of a few things:

1.) Increase the mass (of your hand, arm, body, gain weight, etc.)
2.) You can increase the velocity of the movement overall, or by increasing acceleration of the movement
3.) You can increase the efficiency of the movement (technique) so that you don't lose the ability to maximize your mass/maximum velocity/acceleration and therefore the force you generate.

I think that sums it up for the most part. For me, it's about working the technique slowly and rerouting the neuromuscular pathway to be as "correct" as possible and then augmenting it with weight training enhancers to increase the amount of force you can generate.

Also, for me, endurance is a big deal. I can throw a pretty solid left hook when I'm fresh, but if my endurance is lacking my left hook sucks after a few minutes of heavy workload. I'd rather be able to hit 70% power 90% of the time than 90% power 50% of the time, if that makes sense.

I have a couple of these Bulgarian bags and have been using them more, really focusing on exploding through the motion.

holy shit that looks exhausting

A good hook comes from your core. Work on your abdominal muscles and lower back muscles, you should be rotating your core when you throw a hook and to add a little spice add a bit of arm swing. When my gym trains new boxers, they don't let them move their arm at all when they throw a hook, they have to do it with the core, once they do that well, then they add in the arm swing.

This is a good video on it. He advocates for bands but he recommends holding the band in the opposite hand to work on getting the other shoulder to the rear when you rotate for the hook.

I have to get one of these now.

<Prem974>

Other than focusing on the technical aspects, this is probably my favorite exercise for loading trunk rotation as it heavily involves the hips and legs:

There’s some great posts here, especially on the second page so I’ve got nothing really new to add. All I can say is that technique in terms of shifting body weight into the hook:

back-foot to front-foot to hook is of utmost importance.

Strength exercises: deadlifts, squats, pull-ups/chin-ups, overhead presses, push-ups. Bagwork. You get the idea.

Technique: proper technique and the ability to properly shift your body weight back-to-front (rinse repeat). Shadow boxing and drilling are necessary parts of the process but not a substitute for quality instruction. Don’t get them confused. Lots of small time trainers can blow you up with fun and engaging padwork and loudmouthed prattle.
If you step into the ring to even so much as spar and can’t get off a few combinations without getting lit up either you’re dense or you’ve got a shit trainer. Ultimately it’s up to you to decide

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back