Everything is political these days. Even commencement speeches.

Responses to your somewhat scary reply highlighted in the above post.

lol, how full of shit are you?

CableandThanos said:
I WILL GIVE PROPS TO HIM FOR NOT KNOCKING OUT THE SISTER. THE SECURITY GUARD WAS HOLDING HER AND SHE WAS TRYING TO KICK HIM IN THE BALLS AND SPIT ON HIM. HE COULD OF UNLOADED ON HER AFTER GETTING SPIT ON IN THE FACE.

Are they the politics of the university administrators? No problem! Are they the politics of the students? "Oh no, teh politicizing!"
This is a fantastic point.
I don't know that I entirely agree with it but fantastic nonetheless.

lol, how full of shit are you?

Yea,

you seem to be out numbered here on sherdog. So don't act like I am the crazy one when you are in the minority.

LOL wussy

Most people with half a brain would hit someone back if they are being kicked in the balls and spit on.

Why do you hate gender equality so much?

This is a fantastic point.
I don't know that I entirely agree with it but fantastic nonetheless.

Why does anything have to be political.

When Clinton (bill) goes and gives a speech and tells the kids great job, keep it up, why does that have to be political? Same for condy, GWB, or anyone else.

Why does anything have to be political.

When Clinton (bill) goes and gives a speech and tells the kids great job, keep it up, why does that have to be political? Same for condy, GWB, or anyone else.
Like I said, I don't know I totally agree with ABACA but he's quite right that there's often a double standard.
A reasonable counter point to your position is how could Bill ever say something that wouldn't at least in part be considered political? Given how long (and tedious) commencement speeches are I would guarantee that any of these potential speakers will say something about society more broadly.

Also, while Rice is I'm sure in demand (her Stanford classes are supposedly terrific by the way), is anyone really seeking out GWB?

Like I said, I don't know I totally agree with ABACA but he's quite right that there's often a double standard.
A reasonable counter point to your position is how could Bill ever say something that wouldn't at least in part be considered political? Given how long (and tedious) commencement speeches are I would guarantee that any of these potential speakers will say something about society more broadly.

Also, while Rice is I'm sure in demand (her Stanford classes are supposedly terrific by the way), is anyone really seeking out GWB?

I just didn't agree with abaca talking about how a speech can never just be about basic shit. He says there is always some underlying meaning where you are choosing sides and making a stand on an issue in every speech.

If it is going to get this petty, then don't have a speaker at all.

Why do college kids/people in general- have to screw up even the most basic shit. MFers can't even get up on stage and say -congrats, good job- anymore with out some shit head being offended.

Why do college kids/people in general- have to screw up even the most basic shit. MFers can't even get up on stage and say -congrats, good job- anymore with out some shit head being offended.
This statement perfectly fits ABAC's post. Why blame the students?
If a university invited Kissinger and I were a student, I'd sure as shit protest. There's a whole list of people I'd protest. Condelezza Rice probably isn't one of them.

Are you seriously of the opinion that a student body couldn't be right to object to a speaker?

This statement perfectly fits ABAC's post. Why blame the students?
If a university invited Kissinger and I were a student, I'd sure as shit protest. There's a whole list of people I'd protest. Condelezza Rice probably isn't one of them.

Are you seriously of the opinion that a student body couldn't be right to object to a speaker?

excuse me being all over the place, i'm at work just to do multiple things.

The college shouldn't give two shits about what some kids think. You don't like it, tough shit, there is going to be plenty of things in life that you don't like. And guess what, most of that shit you can't just start protesting.

No, I just wanna know where the cut off line is?

Kiss would be out for you but Condi in? Why?

what about Obama? What about Bush 1? If not, why

What about a CEO thats company has had layoffs even though he may have gotten a raise? People will bitch about that, right?

What about a Person who is a member of the NRA and did a pro gun rights commercial?

What about if they were in the military, and the college was in San Fran (where they hate the military).

I just wanna know where is the line? Otherwise it's gonna get to the point that No one semi famous can come becaue some hippie turds or conservative nerds might protest.

Where is the line for the college to care, not for people to protest. I don't want to take away anyones right to protest, but at what point does the college say,--and not a single fuck is given?

There are plenty of things that I am currently against that I could be talked into if people could come up with specifics.

One example being a living wage. But No one can ever tell me what would and would not be included in a living wage, would it change with the part of the country you are in, woulod it change if you had more kids? Would people still be able to get welfare?

Ah, conservatives. Have they ever met an authority whose ass they won't kiss?

(Other than science authorities, of course).

Ah, conservatives. Have they ever met an authority whose ass they won't kiss?

(Other than science authorities, of course).

don't want the dubs, don't know what is and isn't dub worthy nowadays.

Last edited:
ABACA must've been having a bad day. He was looking for dubbs/ban

LOL, ABACA finally caught the hammer. Awesome. One less shit stain in the swirling commode.

The college shouldn't give two shits about what some kids think. You don't like it, tough shit, there is going to be plenty of things in life that you don't like. And guess what, most of that shit you can't just start protesting.
This is a seemingly odd view. We regularly hear about how universities are liberal brainwashing factors (which is patently untrue) and yet here you're advocating that students shut up, submit, and simply accept what is being put in front of them.
Moreover you go on to say that there is lots that people can't protest and that too is incorrect.

You seemingly have adopted a stance that advocates simply accepting the status quo and muzzling the free speech of students. That, to put it lightly, is fucked up.

By that same token the kids who protest and succeed shouldn't give 2 shits about what critics of their protest should say since there's a lot of things in life these critics aren't gona like.

The point is having them dismissed for a scheduled commencement speech. It use to be far less common in the past and now we are seeing it as a common theme in the past few years.

I think war criminals should stay away from commencement speeches.

I'll be honest, 145 since 1987 (when you take into account how many universities there are in this country) doesn't seem that high.

Also, what does the author of the article suggest we do about it? Take away the students right to protest? This is their commencement. They should have the right to speak out against the selection of the speaker if they choose too.

Of course it has been.

I just went to my gf's graduation at UIC for her masters and one of the speakers was Rahm Emanuels chief of staff. She spent half the time harping on about how great Daley was and how great Rahm and the mayor's office is and all the wonderful things they do.

Then at the end the Dean of the Urban Planning dept started dropping his two cents on all of the wonderful changes that have happened politically over the past few years and was blowing Obama for five minutes.

LOL, ABACA finally caught the hammer. Awesome. One less shit stain in the swirling commode.

It's surprising he went 8 years just to rant off like that. I'm not sure what thread did him in but with that being my first encounter with him, I'm not surprised.

I think war criminals should stay away from commencement speeches.

What's the point in a post like this? Name the supposed war criminal you are talking about and define war criminal. I'm sure your definition would capture many previous presidents.

I'll be honest, 145 since 1987 (when you take into account how many universities there are in this country) doesn't seem that high.

Also, what does the author of the article suggest we do about it? Take away the students right to protest? This is their commencement. They should have the right to speak out against the selection of the speaker if they choose too.

The point is though that it was averaging about 2-3 each year and now it's been about 20 per year in the past five. There is a steep increase.

I think he is just trying to put into perspective our country is becoming too polarized. Both parties are choosing to hold to extreme positions with no middle ground. Not only is there no middle ground, but people are choosing to no longer even listen to the opposing viewpoints. This leads to demonizing the other side and ultimately, political gridlock that we witness today.

The commencement speech statistic is one of many that show this.

Of course it has been.

I just went to my gf's graduation at UIC for her masters and one of the speakers was Rahm Emanuels chief of staff. She spent half the time harping on about how great Daley was and how great Rahm and the mayor's office is and all the wonderful things they do.

Then at the end the Dean of the Urban Planning dept started dropping his two cents on all of the wonderful changes that have happened politically over the past few years and was blowing Obama for five minutes.

I'd see that as an example of misusing the point of the speech. They should know better.

The point is though that it was averaging about 2-3 each year and now it's been about 20 per year in the past five. There is a steep increase.

I'm just not sure why those figures should hold any significance. 20 per year presumably among 1000s, maybe even 10000s of graduations, doesn't seem like a lot.

I think he is just trying to put into perspective our country is becoming too polarized. Both parties are choosing to hold to extreme positions with no middle ground. Not only is there no middle ground, but people are choosing to no longer even listen to the opposing viewpoints. This leads to demonizing the other side and ultimately, political gridlock that we witness today.

The commencement speech statistic is one of many that show this.

Hasn't it always been this way? Was there some era of America where politicians went around championing the "middle ground" that I missed in my history books?

Back