Everlast Sparring Glove Questions

Joe Funaro

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
I have a piar of Addidas bag gloves that I love, 12 oz from Sports Authority. Next, I needed a sparring glove. I was going to try a cheap Top contender one and then buy a nicer one when it was used up, but I thought there might be a good equivalent at Sports Authority.

I found the Everlast MMA Sparring Glove, its just a regular 16oz boxing glove, but I think Everlast is trying to cash in on the MMA craze. It feels fine, hook and loop and seems to have a good cushion.
Here it is Sports Authority - Fitness: Mixed Martial Arts: Gloves: Everlast MMA Sparring Glove

So does anyone have any experience with it or know anything about it? I know its not the best glove around but I do want something that will protect my partner. I hate when people try to spar with 12oz bag gloves and don't know the difference.

My main concern too is that it feels like it's good for sparring, but he label says good for sparring, bag work and aerobics.

I don't know... the fact it mentions aerobics would concern me. Also, the lower end synthetic leather Everlast gloves are notorious for being poorly made and will not last as long as their better quality glove: the Everlast Pro training gloves.

Yeah... I should've been straight to the point like 888Shogun888. Those particular gloves suck, will suck for sparring, and if you are even remotely serious you should invest in a better pair of gloves for your sake and your sparring partner's.

I have everlast pro training gloves, alltho i dont have much experiance with other similar gloves only tried out those and some twins, I really like mine

I have everlast pro training gloves, alltho i dont have much experiance with other similar gloves only tried out those and some twins, I really like mine

I actually just got my everlast pro and will be putting up a review in a day or 2. There is a massive difference between the $80 pro gloves designed by orthopedic surgeons and the kind you can find at a sporting goods store. They will be fine if you are just starting out and doing bag and pad work but you shouldn't spar with them. If you were at my gym with those I wouldn't even think about sparring with you.

Like Shogun said above, there is a world of difference between the cheaper Everlasts and the Pro Training gloves I mentioned in my first post. People here have commented on the Pro training gloves being top quality boxing gloves, while the cheaper Everlasts are universally abhorred.

Looking forward to that review, btw.

Those gloves are shit.

There is a guy at my gym who uses them for the bag and sparring. Roughly 30 rounds on the bag and 15 rounds sparring with them so far by my estimate.

If he had any power or skill there is no way I would let him hit people with those gloves.

There are a lot of people who have never boxed who are only familiar with striking through MMA. They think fighting with 4-6oz gloves means sparring is an anything goes situation where they can throw with 10oz bag gloves. It is incredibly annoying.

i had never seen those red everlasts before, i wonder how good they are made in Thailand so i wonder if there any good

Ok so heres the deal.

I bought them, the synthetic leather isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The Everlast boxing gloves have synthetic leather (the cheap ones obviously) that feel like plastic. I feel I could get cut/cut someone easily with the rough glove. These ones are much softer.

The glove is a little tight fitting with my hand wraps on. I did not spar with them, only hit pads. They felt fine. They have a bar in the middle.

The foam is not as compact as a bag glove but not as "fluffy" as the only other glove I know to compare it too (a pair of 14oz Rojo gloves).

I am going to order one of the suggessted gloves, compare them and probably return the Everlast ones I just bought (I checked with the store to make sure I could return them in a week or so).

Only thing is I don't like lace up ones so I think these are the same as above but just hook and loop:

Top Contender Training Glove - Hook & Loop at Ringside.com
TITLE Classic Hook-and-Loop Training Gloves from Title Boxing

Now, just to make sure, those are both intended for sparring right?

I'm not gonna pretend I know anything about gloves, I get confused all the time between training gloves, sparring gloves, pro gloves, competition gloves, pro training gloves, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Training gloves are all-purpose gloves intended for heavy bag, pads and mitt work and also for sparring. You shouldn't use the same pair you use on the heavy bag and pads for sparring though, as the padding gets compressed and becomes less than ideal for sparring.

If you get both pairs you listed above, use one exclusively for bag/pad work and the other for sparring only.

I would avoid buying anything from the Sports Authority, Dicks Sports or any other department stores. The equipment they sell is lower end stuff designed for soccer moms. I'm not big on Everlast as a brand but if you are dead set on having a pair of their gloves go to one of the many fight companys and buy a pair from them.

Back