1. Season 7 of the International Shoop League is now active! Section A » Section B »

Ever run into this tournament situation?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by mikeffd, Nov 13, 2005.

1. mikeffd

mikeffd Brown Belt

The past two tournaments I've been to there haven't been any other competitors in my division.

Last June there wasn't anyone in my division -gi, intermediete, 205-225lbs - so as a white belt (1.5 years experience at the time) I had to go to Advanced and fight a purple. I lost twice..

Today, I entered the Joslin's Open - pretty much the biggest grappling event in Ontario - and there was only one other guy in my division. We had one match, I lost 4-2.

Lame

2. Way way way to many times to count...oh wait...maybe 4 actually. It sucks, was this tournament only grappling or other stuff you could compete in as well? Tournaments Ive been in were all for grappling, point sparring, katas, weapons sparring, and other awesome stuff like that, so grapplers were few and far between.

3. Bubble Boy

Bubble Boy Black Belt

Try a judo tournament. Lot's more people should be in your divisionin in a typical judo tourney (you're not talking junior are you?). You'll get a lot more tournament mat time.

4. mikeffd

mikeffd Brown Belt

I dont know, I saw plenty of obese guys in the 225+ begginer, and some quality 225+ advanced.

5. TJS

TJS Brown Belt

I have the oppossite problem...my division is always stacked full of people and I have to have 4-5 matches in a row..im pretty sore after the 3rd one usually.

6. Bubble Boy

Bubble Boy Black Belt

Yup. Me also. You around 175 lbs or so?

7. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

I fight in the lighter weight classes (generally 155-160). Usually there are not too many people in my division. I just don't think many people under 170 really get into submission grappling because they are afraid of being too small.

Also sometimes I'd rather fight the guys in the heavier divisions anyway. Almost everyone in my division is really tough and technical since that is pretty much the only way to cut it in grappling when you are smaller.

There aren't too many competitors in the smaller weight classes, but they fight like wolverines.

8. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Banned Banned

Once I ran into a situation similar, I signed up for the open division turns out not enough people signed up for it so thus no open division.

9. infamous mattyd

infamous mattyd Brown Belt

my first NAGA there were only 2 others in my weight class in no-gi

10. vAmPiRe[BOy]

vAmPiRe[BOy] Blue Belt

Happened to me twice, i just got bumped up a weight division and told tough-titties

11. if you want mat time, might i suggest open or absolute divisions? there are USUALLY more people in those.

12. sir037

sir037 Forever Noob

I prefer the term dietetically challenged hahaha

13. Hey its almost christmas, as cartman says, he is "Festivley Plump"

I prefer horizontally challenged.

14. EPT

EPT Orange Belt

Shouldn't that be horizontally gifted? lol

15. SmashiusClay

SmashiusClay Avatar of Cyttorak

My club went to a judo tourney earlier this year, quite a big one as well, and we had 2 of the three 91-100kg fighters so its not always a guarantee of more fights.

16. Rai_Polo

Rai_Polo White Belt

How was the tourney Mick? Maybe you should drop down a weight class or something.. That's my plan.