Ever had an injury like this?

P

Pugilistic

I did some light sparring today and at the beginning of the first round, I threw a light right hand over my partner's jab and connected with the top of his headgear. I didn't turn my fist over fast enough and connect with my thumb. I felt a sharp pain, winced, and let out an "Ow." I immediately thought I jammed my thumb but the pain felt different. I took off my glove and there was blood dripping out from under the thumbnail. It looked like a part of my thumbnail was nearly pulled off.

I think there is a seam inside the glove and it was caught under my nail and when I connected with it, it nearly took off the nail. This was the first time I've seen this happen. Never heard of it happening in my years of boxing. I didn't even know it was possible in boxing with gloves and whatnot. Even my trainer said he's never seen this happen.

Our guess was that the glove was getting old and some seams were being exposed on the inside.

It stung and it was bleeding quite a bit. My trainer wrapped it with some gauze and tape. I asked him to tape my other thumb because now I was paranoid it would happen to my other thumb. I continued sparring because I ain't no pussy.
:meow:<209Bitch>

Tomorrow was supposed to be my deadlifting day but I'm not sure I can grip anything hard with this hand.

Lesson learned. Make sure to use gloves that don't have seams inside near your fingertips. If your gloves are kind of old and starting to fall apart, get new ones.

Sherdog fact: bleeding while deadlifting = sacrifice to weightlifting gods = +10% gains (unless you make someone else bleed while deadlifting then it's 20% gains).

I get those cuts frequently actually. One I credit it to having dryer skin in the winter.

Thr other main one is the glove happens to be pretty tight around the thumb, so when I smash it gets stuck and starts ripping

I get those cuts frequently actually. One I credit it to having dryer skin in the winter.

Thr other main one is the glove happens to be pretty tight around the thumb, so when I smash it gets stuck and starts ripping

I would wrap up every inch of my hand if it happened all the time. I'm okay with the pain of blunt force trauma but I can't stand things like cuts or my nail breaking off. Ugh

I would wrap up every inch of my hand if it happened all the time. I'm okay with the pain of blunt force trauma but I can't stand things like cuts or my nail breaking off. Ugh
that's part of the issue for me too, the glove is already pretty tight (especially if brand new), and the padding adds more volume making it even tighter.

It's funny because it's the small injuries like these that puts me out whereas big stuff like smashed ribs, knee pain, etc I don't get often, and if I did, I could still train somewhat around it. The small one, can't do jack except maybe lifting and conditioning depending on the area.

You can wrap those problem areas on your hands that tend to get cut or blistered, etc. with athletic tape before you glove up (and after you've already put the wraps on, since wraps already protect the parts it covers). Duct tape works just as good if not better but leaves a dirty residue when you take it off.

Back