Ever gone for a long period of time without eating "real" food?

creepingcharlie

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Have you, or anyone you know gone for a long period of time (weeks or months) without eating what most people consider real food? In other words, have you gone days where you only ingesting things like vitamins, protein powders, carb powders, veggie replacement powders or drinks, and other supplements? How did it make you feel? This is just a question of curiosity. I in no way intend to do this.

I haven't tried it but I don't think it would be very healthy in the long term for you, but that is just my opinion on it, you'd need to eat something or your body would screw up, and when you did have somethin to eat a real meal your body wouldn;'t know what do to, like I say, one of the dieting experts in here would be able to give you better advice on it,

I have always wondered if someone could live off of supplements alone.

You could live A LONG time just on supplements. Years for sure and possibly decades. The main thing I would think of is supplements only include important things that we know of. There are most likely a HUGE amount of vitamin like things, modified amino acids (we recently found out that there are 22 amino acids, not 20) and other things that are not included but are in real food. Not getting those things might catch up to you.

Why would you die so quick? They have protein, carbs, fat. Meal replacements have vitamins, and other things. What is so plentiful and needed in food that is missing? Granted, I could be way off, so if you can think of anything, that would debunk my whole theory, but as far as I have thought in the past 2 mins I can't think of anything that vital.

What do you think they put in feeding tubes?

Most commercial enternal nutrional diets consists of the same things supplements are made of.

For example.

Isocal

Soy Protein, MCT's, Maltodextrin. Sound Familiar.

You mean they don't blend up whole meals in feeding tubes?

What a jip.

Hospitals suck.

King Kabuki said:

Haha, oh man I once drank a blended omellete, the price you pay for getting into drunkin bar brawls and having your friend end up with a mouth wired shut.

King Kabuki said:

What a jip.

Hospitals suck.

I know man. If I'm in such a poor situation where I need a feeding tube, the last thing I want is something that is bland, tasteless, AND synthetic.

lol at you guys ripping on the hospitals.

Yeah, the feeding tube pretty much sums it up.

BoxingFanNoMore said:
What do you think they put in feeding tubes?

Most commercial enternal nutrional diets consists of the same things supplements are made of.

For example.

Isocal

Soy Protein, MCT's, Maltodextrin. Sound Familiar.

Sadly enough, I was checking out the feeding tube formulas at the hospital I work at. I'd have to consume 2-3 a day to not lose muscle mass.

Haha, oh man I once drank a blended omellete, the price you pay for getting into drunkin bar brawls and having your friend end up with a mouth wired shut.

Yeah my Father once had his jaw wired shut (broken in 4 places, LOOOOOOOONG depressing story as to how that went down) and we had to blend up all his food. I almost tossed my cookies when I got a sight of his spaghetti and meatbals. Ack.

Funny thing to do if you ever have a friend in that situation again, keep acting like you can't hear or understand them. Having them repeat the mumbling through the wires and LOUDER is hilarious.

Another one is if you have a friend in a neckbrace keep calling his name as he walks away. lol

on the flipside... I cant remember the last time I havent taken some kind of supplements???

I wasn't asking because I was wonder if it was possible. I'm sure it is. I just wondered if anyone has actually done this. And I was referring to someone who isreally active, not stuck in a hospital bed.

Why would anyone do that though?

You probably asked this because it SOUNDS possible but like a BAD idea, you are correct.

i have never tired it and never plan on trying it either. my guess would be hat it would be unhealthy for your stomach, but you could live off it for a while

Non real food are <b>supplements</b>

Emphasis on supplement.

whem im cuttin the last 2 days before a tourney all i eat is power/protein bars/shakes, vitamins and fruit....works ok for me, after a couple days of that you'll be craving junk food though, i always need to get a junk food fix after the tourney, after living on that stuff just a few days u'll want it, can't imagine goin for weeks or a month, besides it'd be kinda expensive

Back