Ever feel like you can know someone too well?

mixmastermo

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Let's say you have a circle of friends, and you have known these people through several ups and downs in their lives and yours.

Do you find that you can only talk about certain things with some of them, because they hold some strong beliefs that seem odd to you?

How about this, do you have that one friend that loves to reminisce, but usually about things that happened over 10 years ago, (sometimes closer to 20?) He will meet new people and you can hear him tell stories about those days like they happened yesterday, yet choosing to ignore all of the struggles he has had with life since then...

Don't get the wrong idea, I care for these people a great deal, they just have these quirks that I pretty much have to ignore. I know I'm not the only one...

dear-diary.gif

Not strong beliefs per se, but the whole endless reminiscence about the "good old days" kind of wears on me. But that may be because I was ambivalent toward HS and hated my university experience.

I think if you know anyone long enough you either accept their quirks, or don't. And if you don't, then I guess you don't associate with them.

Dear Diary,

Today I got annoyed at my childhood friend.

The End

You have very lose circle, TS.

Racist, Christian bigots are the best to hang out with. Trust me.

i dont like being around people that i can't be open with. Im sarcastic as hell, so i need people in my life that can take a joke and aren't uptight

Let's say you have a circle of friends, and you have known these people through several ups and downs in their lives and yours.

Do you find that you can only talk about certain things with some of them, because they hold some strong beliefs that seem odd to you?

How about this, do you have that one friend that loves to reminisce, but usually about things that happened over 10 years ago, (sometimes closer to 20?) He will meet new people and you can hear him tell stories about those days like they happened yesterday, yet choosing to ignore all of the struggles he has had with life since then...

Don't get the wrong idea, I care for these people a great deal, they just have these quirks that I pretty much have to ignore. I know I'm not the only one...
Yeah, there are some people who live in their stories. It's sad because they aren't living in the moment, taking each day as an opportunity to make a new story. I know that sounded a bit like a hallmark card, but it's the truth. Too many people are content to let their days be filler instead of doing something each day to make themselves better or make themselves happier.

Meh, depends on your perspective. I bet Ripskater views these forums as a bastion for snarky, pinko atheists.
Are you saying Rip is sinning by viewing and posting here?

Very good grasshopper. Now all you must do is turn inward and face your own quirks, and it is then that you will understand.

If you're not going to reminisce about the good old days, what are you going to reminisce about instead?

If you're not going to reminisce about the good old days, what are you going to reminisce about instead?
I mean I get it, but in the 10 years since those things happened, people have graduated from university, moved away from home, started a career, family, etc. While the storyteller is still living with parents and collecting food stamps.

I don't get involved when the stories are being told, I bite my lip because I don't want to ruin these peoples parades.

Back