Event Calendar for TX?

BaconTastesGood

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is there a good event calendar that tracks competitions in Texas? I'm in Dallas and it doesn't look like jack is coming through here the rest of the year...

naw dude NAGA was just here in may, and its comming back in mid august and again later in the year. cheer up. i live in dallas also.

Yeah, what Newcastle said! I'm moving there on Monday...so excited!

The first one you might be interested in is a big tournament in OKC which isn't far from us. At the end of July is the Houston Jiu-Jitsu tournament which is an awesome tourney for the money (I'm planning to make the trek for it). Then in August is NAGA.

It seems like Texas has a lot of great stuff going on in terms of jitsu tournaments. Thank goodness!

Yeah, what Newcastle said! I'm moving there on Monday...so excited!

The first one you might be interested in is a big tournament in OKC which isn't far from us. At the end of July is the Houston Jiu-Jitsu tournament which is an awesome tourney for the money (I'm planning to make the trek for it). Then in August is NAGA.

It seems like Texas has a lot of great stuff going on in terms of jitsu tournaments. Thank goodness!

You figure out what gym you'll be training at yet?

So far I've found NAGA in August, something in Corpus Christi in July but the Web site is some random domain parked thing, and I've heard mention of the Houston thing.

What tournie is in OKC?

So far I've found NAGA in August, something in Corpus Christi in July but the Web site is some random domain parked thing, and I've heard mention of the Houston thing.

What tournie is in OKC?

Lovato's school is having a nogi tournament really soon and a gi tournament in October.

You figure out what gym you'll be training at yet?

Nah, but I've narrowed it down to 4 places. Next Generation with Chris Brennan in Aubrey. Denton BJJ with Kirk Gibson. Marcus Hicks in Lewisville. North Texas MMA with Terry Korkran in Lewisville. I've heard amazing things from people at each, so I'll just have to try them all out and see where I feel most comfortable, and who's classes I could attend most.

Are you going to any of the upcoming tourneys (i.e. Lavato's in OKC, Houston, or NAGA)?

Nah, but I've narrowed it down to 4 places. Next Generation with Chris Brennan in Aubrey. Denton BJJ with Kirk Gibson. Marcus Hicks in Lewisville. North Texas MMA with Terry Korkran in Lewisville. I've heard amazing things from people at each, so I'll just have to try them all out and see where I feel most comfortable, and who's classes I could attend most.

Are you going to any of the upcoming tourneys (i.e. Lavato's in OKC, Houston, or NAGA)?

Excellent. I just competed in my first tourney last weekend and won, 18+ Novice, 139.9 and under. It was a great experience and I do plan on competing both gi and no gi at NAGA come August. How about you?

Excellent. I just competed in my first tourney last weekend and won, 18+ Novice, 139.9 and under. It was a great experience and I do plan on competing both gi and no gi at NAGA come August. How about you?

Damn you're a skinny bastard! :icon_chee For the Houston tourney, I'll enter the under 6mo. gi and under 6mo. no-gi 180-200lb divisions, and probably the under 6mo gi and no-gi absolute divisions as well. (You seriously can't beat the price on this Houston tournament....it's the BEST!)

For NAGA, I'll be in the under 6mo. 180-190lb gi and no-gi divisions.

I like it when tournaments go 6months and under for the real novice guys, but I hate it when the same ones also go 6-18mo. That's too long in my opinion. They should go -6, 6-12, 1yr-2yr. Oh well. Plano isn't far from where I'll be, maybe we can meet up some weekend to work out together. I'm sure we'll see each other at NAGA. Too bad you're so skinny and I'm so big, or we'd be in the same novice divisions!

i train and north texas mma and love it man. they offer so many classes doesnt matter what your schedule is there will always be a class for you.

Damn you're a skinny bastard! :icon_chee For the Houston tourney, I'll enter the under 6mo. gi and under 6mo. no-gi 180-200lb divisions, and probably the under 6mo gi and no-gi absolute divisions as well. (You seriously can't beat the price on this Houston tournament....it's the BEST!)

For NAGA, I'll be in the under 6mo. 180-190lb gi and no-gi divisions.

I like it when tournaments go 6months and under for the real novice guys, but I hate it when the same ones also go 6-18mo. That's too long in my opinion. They should go -6, 6-12, 1yr-2yr. Oh well. Plano isn't far from where I'll be, maybe we can meet up some weekend to work out together. I'm sure we'll see each other at NAGA. Too bad you're so skinny and I'm so big, or we'd be in the same novice divisions!

LOL, sorry man. I'm a hard-gainer so cutting down to 139.9 wasn't really hard at all.

i train and north texas mma and love it man. they offer so many classes doesnt matter what your schedule is there will always be a class for you.

Yeah, I think North Texas MMA or Denton BJJ are in the front running. Next Gen is too far, and I haven't heard as much about Marcus Hicks place, but I want to check them both out to make sure I'm not missing something really great. But I think it will come down to the two I mentioned. Classes look comparable, both offering 3 night classes a week, and weekend stuff, so I'll be able to make those with school. It will come down to price, and the vibe I get from going. I'm going to try and check out a week night class and a weekend class, then make a decision once I do that.

JDV5811, I'll try and remember to give you a PM or something before I go to NTMMA...it's always cool to meet peeps from the forums. But I'm just a white belt...so don't kick my ass if we roll! :redface:

A quick question for you Dallas / Fort Worth guys . I'm looking to move in that area next year and was wondering what schools you guys train at and what ones have a good rep . I'll be coming in as a brown belt from another school , I know some instructors aren't cool with that kinda of thing . Basically I'm looking for a BJJ school with a open door policy .

depends where u live there are tons. prolly the team with the highest upper belts that compete regularly at pan ams and mundials from the metroplex would be travis lutters, lost of blacks, browns, and purples that train there

there are several other really good schools with many upper belts, just depends on where u are going to be living (what part of metroplex)

most instructors around here would be cool w/ u keeping your belt as long as you came from a rep school/instructor (which appears u are by ur avatar)

depends where u live there are tons. prolly the team with the highest upper belts that compete regularly at pan ams and mundials from the metroplex would be travis lutters, lost of blacks, browns, and purples that train there

there are several other really good schools with many upper belts, just depends on where u are going to be living (what part of metroplex)

most instructors around here would be cool w/ u keeping your belt as long as you came from a rep school/instructor (which appears u are by ur avatar)

Thanks for the reply . The metroplex ? Is that the nick name for Fort Forth ?

Back