Etiquette for promotion.

cb9fl

White Belt
Reaction score
Say a person was about to be or was promoted by their instructor to blue yet the person didn't feel they were quite ready for that belt. What is the proper etiquette to state that concern to the instructor or should the student just not say anything?

I wouldn't say anything. If your instructor thinks you're ready, then you're ready.

yea, you have to have some faith in your instructor...most of the time people have atleast some doubt or hesitation when they are promoted,

Then don't worry you won't get promoted.

Commissar said:
I wouldn't say anything. If your instructor thinks you're ready, then you're ready.

Since someone seconded this, I'll third it.

Thats the way it is and how it was told to me. If the instructor hands you a promotion, stripe, belt, whatever. You earned it. You have nothing to say but thanks. Anything else would be disrespectful no matter how well intentioned, humble, nice or whatever you were trying to say.

Accept it, bow, shake hands, hug, and thats it.

if he sees your abilities all the time, then he should know your level

Anything else would be disrespectful no matter how well intentioned, humble, nice or whatever you were trying to say.

Thanks. I really wasn't sure how that would go so if the situation arises I'll say thank you and work that much harder. The thing is I don't really care what color my belt is as long as I'm getting better. I could be a white for ten years subbing browns and I'd be happy.

cb9fl said:
Thanks. I really wasn't sure how that would go so if the situation arises I'll say thank you and work that much harder. The thing is I don't really care what color my belt is as long as I'm getting better. I could be a white for ten years subbing browns and I'd be happy.

There's an element of sandbagging to your position.

Also, you're nice and cozy and safe right now. You're just a white belt. But blue holds a whole additional level of responsibility. Plus, all those white belts will be gunning for you and all the purple belts will be trying to keep you down. You'll grow into the belt. You'll improve just by putting that belt on. Don't be a pussy.

I say "man up" and accept your belt. Trust in your instructor.

Back