Escaping side-mount help...

BobSacamano

White Belt
Reaction score
Besides finding myself on my back most of the class...I am noticing alot of guys, especially the blues like to work from sidemount more than full.

Because I am wide and have a big rib cage I tend to want them full. I can either upa them off or at least keep them off balance to get anything effective going. But when someone is side on me...forget it.

Normally I try and get one arm against their neck and the other down by their legs/hips. I am not skilled enough to swing a leg "in" so I upa and try to work the leg in little by little...upa...leg...upa...leg...I get nowhere.

I am still a noob and from what I hear it is a tough spot to escape but the only "escape" I have learned is the upa/try and work the leg through.

Anything else I could try? I am constantly on my back, I might as well learn to defend from there...

Jailbreak is your friend. :) It's not the only one I use but it is my favorite to regain half guard/butterfly.

I can think of a few and would love to explain them to you but would probably butcher it. Go to youtube and type in keywords sidemount escape. It should be productive.

One I will try to explain is lets say you are on your back and they are on your left side with his right hand toward your head, you want the upa up to create space and instead of coming back down snake your left out away from them and bring your body in his belly your back north south position. Now when you do this you want to shoot in and pin your head to the outside of his right thigh and gable grip around the thigh.

From there you reach for his right foot with your right hand and pull the leg toward you between his legs and begin driving/scrambling to his right as he goes over start moving your legs in a counter clockwise direction and this should give you a top side control position.

Key things is pinning your head to his thigh to avoid guillotine chock or him opening distance and collapsing on you and when you grab for the foot and drive do it quickly and put pressure on the foot by grabbing it as though you are applying a toe hold.

Hope this helps, I'm sure there are comperable examples on youtube, also go to Lockflow.com, they have a video section that is divided by position.

Good luck

Is "having a big rib cage" code for being overweight?? I dont think Ive ever heard someone say they have a big rib cage...

Here is a good video:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9S3nDygvk6A&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9S3nDygvk6A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Is "having a big rib cage" code for being overweight?? I dont think Ive ever heard someone say they have a big rib cage...

I think I am still overweight, but when I started in Jan I was 240...I am now 210. I just said that cause the guys at class always say they hate mounting me and have to act fast cause they can't get a good base. But they also call me a fat bastard, so who knows. :icon_chee

I think I am still overweight, but when I started in Jan I was 240...I am now 210. I just said that cause the guys at class always say they hate mounting me and have to act fast cause they can't get a good base. But they also call me a fat bastard, so who knows. :icon_chee

LOL. I have a "large ribcage" as well. I've actually starting calling it my "anti-mount device."

Yeah, good video. I will be studying it at work tomorrow and hopefully try em out tomorrow night.

One thing I always have to teach new guys is never, never, never be flat. Make sure if you're on your 'back' that you're really always 'on a hip', facing your opponent. That might help you.

Another thing is that you don't always move yourself into position and you don't always move them into position. Usually it's a little of both. But no matter what position you're in, you can control something. If moving them doesn't work... try moving yourself.

Little bumps to get underhook. Shoot up with underhook push off and shrimp to get knee in then shrimp agian to regain guard. Nice high percentage.

www.freebjjinstructionals.com has about 5-6 sidemout escape variations. Check it out!

One piece of advice that I found incredibly useful was don't relax into the position then try your escapes. Most people relax and let the person on top setup their side mount before they mount a defense. As soon as they go to side start doing what you feel you need to do before the setup their side completely. Don't fall into the trap of turn based grappling!

Good luck.

I like to mix in the Jailbreak along with the normal escapes. There are two versions of it. In one, you use the hand that frames on your opponents collar/neck area and use it to pull your leg into half butterfly. The other version is a little bit riskier because you use the hand that rests on your opponents hip to pull your leg into half butterfly. If you aren't quick with it, your opponent will go around to N/S because the hand is no longer blocking the hip.

GI or no Gi?

One thing that works is get a grip on your opponent and bridge turning into him a bit and putting force in his direction, he will respond by pushing force back on you, you use this momentum to roll him right over. This puts you in side control of him or you can quickly gain a full mount or go for an armbar.

NUff SAID KID !

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7lxafCrBvq0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7lxafCrBvq0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Not many videos out there showing what you should do once you get caught flat on your back. Most videos just say 'don't be flat'. That is easier said than done. Thanks for the vid.

Not many videos out there showing what you should do once you get caught flat on your back. Most videos just say 'don't be flat'. That is easier said than done. Thanks for the vid.

once your flat, your going to have to spend energy, bumping-shrimping-bumping-shrimping, it becomes a battle of attrition. For practice shrimp in a circle, use a big bump between each big shrimp.

I dont have a large rib cage, or a 6 pack, but more like a mini keg @ one time i preffered being mounted to escape, but once you go against guys who know how to keep it, its a terrible habit you will want to break quickly

Little bumps to get underhook. Shoot up with underhook push off and shrimp to get knee in then shrimp agian to regain guard. Nice high percentage.

www.freebjjinstructionals.com has about 5-6 sidemout escape variations. Check it out!

This is the one I use. When doing the 'little bumps' or 'upa' working for underhook, I also try turning into him so I'm on one of my hips. Makes it easier to get that knee in once you have underhook.

your first mistake is making it sound like being on your back is a bad thing.

being on your back is the best thing in the world son. you wanna be good. learn to love being on your back and learn how to control your opponent. the rest will flood into your brain.

Anything else I could try? I am constantly on my back, I might as well learn to defend from there...

esacpes are good but you don't want to have to use them.
your problem is you are getting your guard passed. a lot of beginners put a lot of emphasis on the guard and work it hard, but give up the second it is passed. this is where you should be fighting harder..... right as they pass. that's when you make sure you aren't flat and turn on your hip to face them. put your elbow to you knee to make a barrier, watch for the crossface, shrimp, work to get an underhook so you can go to your knees and sit to guard.

Back