Eric Paulson's Game Development !

El Gato

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I just watched this DVD , here is the low down on it . It's starts with a short Intro and then breaks down into 8 differant Games ( There are no techniques taught in this DVD , but you can pick up alot by watching Erik roll with his partner ) I'll go into a little detail about the Intro and each Game . The Intro - Erik goes over how to rate your skills on the mat ,He uses the BJJ belt ranking system to rate his skills in one area at a time, like maybe your takedowns are at a blue belt level while your throws are at a purple belt level , your guard is at a purple belt level while your mount is at a brown belt level , etc , etc .He then tells you to look at your over all game and work were you think you need it ( ie, your lowest ranking ) . GAME 1 - Egoless - Erik talks about having no Ego , go lite and warm up, 50% to 60 % is as hard as you should be rolling .( It shows him roll for about 5 minutes after he explains his thoughts about that game , this is done after each game) GAME 2 -Defensive - Just defend your partners attacks , ( Note - Eriks partner is not freaking out ,but rolling in a controlled manner ) you should work this from every position . GAME 3- Attacking - Seek and Destroy is the term Erik uses for this , move from submission to submission not giving your partner time to think , keeping your partner in a defense mode . - I'll post the rest soon , My Wife and kid have the flu gotta go see what they need ..........

GAME 4 -Floating - Staying on top and float from position to position , ( Erik talks about moving like a smaller or lighter person would move ) . GAME 5 -Crushing - Droping your weight on your partner and keeping them pinned to the mat , the goal is to make your partner gas ( Erik moves from position to position while maintaining a pin on his partner ) . GAME 6 -Isolating Position (arms,legs & head) - Work on one body part , like for the class only attack your partners arms . work your weak submissions , escapes or what ever you need to but break it down . GAME 7 - Worst Position - Have your partner put you in a bad position and work out of it . What do you keep getting caught with ? Have your partner work that move over and over on you . GAME 8 - Breaking the spirit - Erik says this is what he calls iron man training , roll with as many people as you can so you can everybodies differant style , body type and energy ........ That is the DVD in a nutshell, it's cool to watch him roll with his partner and explain some of his ideas about training . Not everything was new but I still learned some good info ........ I hope this helps some of you guys out .......

While Paulson most definately DOES NOT suck, this particular dvd is kind of useless. It could easily have been summed up in 5 minutes. As a matter of fact, your summary basically tells one everything that is on the DVD.

I thought he was under rated as a fighter . Didn't he help Ken Shamrock train for a fight . I think it was Ken vs Kimo !

dunno about that video, but erik paulson does not suck!

This DVD is definately a lot different from Erik Paulson's usual barrage of 100 techniques and variations a minute. If you want techniques and more techniques check out his Greatest Hits or Killer Leg Locks DVDs (www.erikpaulson.com) - if you are into training methodologies then the above DVD might be of interest

Stephan Kesting
CSW instructor under Erik Paulson, who does not suck
www.grapplearts.com

Stephan Kesting said:
This DVD is definately a lot different from Erik Paulson's usual barrage of 100 techniques and variations a minute. If you want techniques and more techniques check out his Greatest Hits or Killer Leg Locks DVDs (www.erikpaulson.com) - if you are into training methodologies then the above DVD might be of interest

Stephan Kesting
CSW instructor under Erik Paulson, who does not suck
www.grapplearts.com
I have the killer leg locks DVD and it is a good DVD ! Erik Paulson is known for his leg locks . Didn't he win the Pan Ams a while ago with heal hooks and leg locks ?

paulson is one of the best....thanks for doing a review of this dvd. I have the same one myself but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.... i did get screwed over on one of my orders a couple years ago on his site....big time. But i hear they have new management.

Back