Eric has to cut some muscle and make an easy water cut to 170lb or move up to 185lb

MTRio

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
"(Eric) has to cut some muscle and make an easy water cut to 170lb or move up to 185lb"

Saw this sentence in another thread. It was just what I was thinking. I'd like to hear your opinions.

He needs to get better is what he needs...

I think the "guy lost so he should move up/down in weight" thing happens too often to be taken seriously.

Moving up wouldn't do him any good.

May his gas problems can be fixed with a change of division.

agreed

he also needs to work:

1) striking defense (he received damage covering his head ala shogun)
2) mental toghness (he broke in the middle of rd1)
3) gameplan. he spent all his gas tank in half a round

I think gassing affects his thinking faculties.

He is good. He just can't go through the first round without gassing

(And I know this makes him not that good lol)

Gas tank never hurts but I think it's more than that. He keeps coming up short and he wasn't "supposed" to lose to Brown either.

It was reported on Twitter that he had a nose injury before the fight that hurt his ability to breath.

Wait. So they think he gasses because he has too much muscle, and so he should move up a weight class?

Become more balanced between his explosiveness and his cardio, or become like economical Reem where he fights in spurts while mantaining his cardio.
Or focus entirely on cardio but at th cost of less explosivenss.

Also drill way more defensive techniques as well.
Erik Silva is the prototype MMA fighter that I dislike in the way that he focuses on the wrong stuff imo.
It's cool a spinning back kick and some spinning elbows, but his defense or any other type of offense was lacking big time.

Wait. So they think he gasses because he has too much muscle, and so he should move up a weight class?

Too much muscle to WW (weight cut issues). He can lose muscle and go to LW or keep them and move up to MW.

Lol at people who don't train giving advice

Moving up was good for Anthony Johnson.

His cardio is his downfall...I think that is really the only thing holding him back

I think 185 is out of the question. He doesn't have the frame for that division.

I also don't think the problem is that he is carrying too much muscle. It might help a bit to lose a few pounds, but the #1 thing is that he needs to learn how to pace himself. The guy fights like his fights are scheduled for 1 2-minute round.

He needs to work on a more conventional standup because his style at the moment doesn't work when he isn't going forward and he needs to either move up or drop weight

I thought he gassed quickly in the Fitch fight, but this was a whole other level. He looked dead on his feet before even getting hit once. I know he's a big guy, but other huge WWs like Lombard, DHK, Maia and Rory Mac never display such a lack of conditioning.

Back