• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Epic Beer Thread v29 - Real men like it bitter

Are there any hoppy sours?

New Belgium La Terrior is dry hopped. Pretty cool beer imo.

Havent been impressed with the Lips of Faith stuff Ive had but Ill keep an eye out for that. Hoppy sour sounds very interesting.

Motueka in a pils?! What the fuck is this shit? From what I know about the beers I've had that used Motueka, it doesn't fit the typical pils hop bill.
Motueka is a Saaz crossed with NZ landrace. It's perfect for a pils.

I'm all for experimentation but there are certain styles that you don't fuck with. Stick to traditional ingredients and traditional recipes. Produce a superior product through superior process and technique. Pilsners are one of those styles. I don't want a pilsner triple dry hopped with citra and then barrel-aged. I want a pilsner to taste exactly like a fresh Prima Pils or The Crisp.
Motueka guidelines:

"An excellent hop in many applications from first kettle additions through to late gift. This hop offers a unique aroma and flavour making it suitable for producing bigger more traditional style Lagers, especially Bohemian Pilsener. "

Are there any hoppy sours?
The Rare Barrel and Almanac have put out fantastic dry hopped sours.

Beercraft is getting a keg of Breakfast Time from the Rare Barrel this week. Sour dry hopped with Citra, Simcoe, and Equinox.

Fair enough. Color me intrigued. When I am having a pils, I am looking for that earthy, grassy hop bite with a bakery-like malt backbone. I'm not looking for any tropical fruit or anything like that. That's not a pilsner. But if it's a bastardized version of saaz, then I can get on board.

The Rare Barrel and Almanac have put out fantastic dry hopped sours.

Beercraft is getting a keg of Breakfast Time from the Rare Barrel this week. Sour dry hopped with Citra, Simcoe, and Equinox.

Sweet I may take a ride that way this weekend.

Fair enough. Color me intrigued. When I am having a pils, I am looking for that earthy, grassy hop bite with a bakery-like malt backbone. I'm not looking for any tropical fruit or anything like that. That's not a pilsner. But if it's a bastardized version of saaz, then I can get on board.
I'd hate to live in a world where that is the only option.

Pivo Pils is one of my favorite summer beers. There are many varieties of Pilsners.

Cellarmaker wasn't claiming this beer to be a true to style Czek Pilsner, they called it "Typo Pills". FYI, has a bit of Cascade too, and it's fucking delicious!

"German Pilsner malt, mostly German Tettnang hops as well as a little Styrian Celia, Motueka and a sprinkle of Cascade. It's spicy and fruity with a bit of herbal character as well as a crisp pilsner malt flavor and that lager yeast character we love in a good pils. Conditioned for 5 weeks. "

Buffy.gif

Wow, someone beat me to it.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31813/95146/

url

Alpirsbacher Kloster Zwickel

-earthy,grassy,spices (Clove&pepper),honey,biscuits,lemons
-medium-high carbonation,medium body

The best Kellerbier/Zwickel i've had so far.
Very unique too since its a cuvee of a bottom-fermented Kellerbier (85%) and a top-fermented one (15%)

url

Fuller's Golden Pride
Strong Ale

-caramel,toffee,plums,raisins,figs,strawberry,raspberry
-medium-full body,low-medium carbonation
-noticable alcohol,but not boozy

Great Strong Ale.
This is basically a beefed-up 1845 ale

url

Alpirsbacher Kloster Pils

-grassy,floral,honey,lemons,spices (Pepper)
-light-medium body,medium-high carbonation

Best Pils i've had so far.Even beats the Rothaus Tannenz

I should say that I loved Piercing Pils. I didn't expect to as it's not traditional for a very traditional style but it was on point.

Is Sixpoint's The Crisp any good?

The highlight of my business trip to Iowa:

A little nervous about getting it home in one piece though.

I don't like fruity beers much (especially sour ones, hate them) but I hate too much bitterness too. Not big on IPAS, more of a Belgian ales and hefeweizen guy.

I just spent $125 on various ciders for a bbq this weekend. I tried Shilling's Oak Cider and Wyder Reposado Pear cider which is aged in tequila barrels....

They are ok. Super delicious and 6.5-6.9% which is dangerous. They go down too smooth though so a 6 pack could get you fucked up if you just drink them like water.

Tonight, I did Bissell Brothers Baby Genius and The Substance and both were amazing. BG was super light but huge on hops and The Substance was a bit stronger with nice hop character. Neither are as good as Swish which is the best beer I've had from them but both were excellent. Swish is better than Heady Topper in my most humble opinion but so are a lot of DIPAs.

Is Sixpoint's The Crisp any good?

Of the German Pilsners I've had, I personally think this is the tops. It's better than Prima Pils imo. And that's saying something as it's a style I really enjoy.

Back