• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Law EPA drops protection for Wild Salmon in Bristol Bay.

Wait, you mix something with your whiskey instead of drinking it pure?
Clint-Eastwood-disgust.gif

Well, Jack Daniels is shit whiskey and only useful in a mixed drink. But it’s a rare exception and otherwise yea, don’t be a bitch and drink your whiskey straight.

Anyone who thinks salmon is gross don't know what's good. Salmon is one of the most easily accessible fish there is in taste. Cook it right and it hardly has any characteristic fish taste. Wild salmon is the best thing AND it's incredibly healthy. Heck, all fish are great. Herring, salmon, garfish, trout, eel, mackerel, tuna, all so yummy and can be made in countless different ways.

Can someone explain to me how the EPA works? I'm reading that it's an independent agency and the administrator (who is in charge) is appointed by the President and is given a cabinet rank even though he/she is not apart of the cabinet.

What I'm curious about is who is actually calling the shots here? The president or the admin of the EPA?

Admittedly I don't know enough about all the details but this sounds terrible to me.

I think it depends on where you stand on environmental protections. It's pretty clear from his bio that he's not a big believer in those things. So, his direction for the agency will be towards fewer protections.

There are certainly similarly qualified individuals who would push the agency towards more protections. Which of the 2 types the President picks will dictate whether we get more or less environmental protections over the years. That is absolutely on the President. In fact, that's the point of these appointment powers - to select people who will move agencies in the direction that President prefers.

Undoubtedly and as you alluded to in your last post their solutions (or lack of) will be dictated by which side of the aisle they are on. What's on the president is the direction they move in, so far im not finding much fault in what he has done in the process. Republican president appoints what seems to be a highly decorated and qualified republican admin for the EPA which have now dropped protection for salmon in the region. Minus the last part which i admit i don't fully understand, im having a hard time seeing any wrong doing.

Do you know what the implications are of this? Do you know what is "on" the president for this decision?

Trump has been appointment former top lobbyist who advocated for certain industries to now head up the agency that police those industries.

That is by definition 'loading up the swamp'.

But far more dangerous is that the normal check and balance within these agencies is the depth of the departments scientific and other staff who tend to be a pain in the butt on a non partisan baiss to whomever may be in power. They are generally Apolitical in their views and base things on decades upon decades of building science.

Trumps heads, as I pointed out in another thread have been gutting the agencies of these people so there will be few, if anyone, left with the history and knowledge and tenure to push back against the bought studies and propaganda of the Industries.

Ashamed to be American. Trump betraying our country and our environment.

Trump has been appointment former top lobbyist who advocated for certain industries to now head up the agency that police those industries.

That is by definition 'loading up the swamp'.

But far more dangerous is that the normal check and balance within these agencies is the depth of the departments scientific and other staff who tend to be a pain in the butt on a non partisan baiss to whomever may be in power. They are generally Apolitical in their views and base things on decades upon decades of building science.

Trumps heads, as I pointed out in another thread have been gutting the agencies of these people so there will be few, if anyone, left with the history and knowledge and tenure to push back against the bought studies and propaganda of the Industries.
Yup, what he's doing in the agencies is atrocious. If this was a company and they were forcing out the people with deep institutional knowledge, we'd all think that the company is in for a very bad stretch. Big companies suffer when 1 or 2 key people leave, let alone dozens.

Yup, what he's doing in the agencies is atrocious. If this was a company and they were forcing out the people with deep institutional knowledge, we'd all think that the company is in for a very bad stretch. Big companies suffer when 1 or 2 key people leave, let alone dozens.
let alone the 80%+ attrition they are getting with these rush relocations.

At a glance i don't like hearing he's an attorney but at the exact same time if you look at his history he is somewhat appropriate for
this position and yes im gonna be quoting exactly what you missed previous to the quote you posted.

Does this person not seem fit for the task? Im not exactly defending the guy but can we really fault Trump for appointing a republican who has experience in this department?
But what are his interests? Does he still have ties to coal? Will he be on the payroll again after his tenure? Can we glean anything from the decisions he's made so far in his position?

Can someone explain to me how the EPA works? I'm reading that it's an independent agency and the administrator (who is in charge) is appointed by the President and is given a cabinet rank even though he/she is not apart of the cabinet.

What I'm curious about is who is actually calling the shots here? The president or the admin of the EPA?

Admittedly I don't know enough about all the details but this sounds terrible to me.

The President calls the shots.

A few things:

1) Expect the Native Tribes, Trout Unlimited, the Sierra Club and heaven only knows who else to sue, citing a violation of the Administrative Procedures Act. If this decision was as haphazard and forced as the original article states, there's definitely an APA violation. An agency just can't overturn an existing rule without justifying it in-depth - including holding public hearings and an extended comment period.

2) How many jobs does this really create? Is it considerably more than what would be lost in the fishing, fly fishing, and tourist industries if the EPA was originally correct?

3) Most of the salmon served at restaurants is farm-raised Atlantic Salmon. Wild Atlantic salmon is basically extinct.

I like and eat Salmon so fuck @bobgeese and all that stand with him.
I read this as I like to eat salmon and go fuck @bobgeese and all that stand with him.

Was going to say, you go brother. You fuck all of them

This decision is completely in line with what the EPA has been doing since trump took office. It’s all about corporations now and has little to do with the actual environment. Hell, now they won’t approve the carcinogen labeling for fucking roundup despite the recent cases of it.
The epa is a fucking joke with this stuff and hopefully decisions like this get people to vote

I read this as I like to eat salmon and go fuck @bobgeese and all that stand with him.

Was going to say, you go brother. You fuck all of them

This decision is completely in line with what the EPA has been doing since trump took office. It’s all about corporations now and has little to do with the actual environment. Hell, now they won’t approve the carcinogen labeling for fucking roundup despite the recent cases of it.
The epa is a fucking joke with this stuff and hopefully decisions like this get people to vote

Hi, ever have the epa threaten to kick in your businesses door?
No?
I have.

Fuck them.

Why in the hell does one branch of the government (one person), get to pick who runs so many government agencies?

Hi, ever have the epa threaten to kick in your businesses door?
No?
I have.

Fuck them.
No and of course like any regulatory agency sometimes they overreact to small issues. They are clearly fallible since they are run by people and people fuck up plenty.
That being said they are in charge of protecting the environment from greedy corporations who only care about the all mighty dollar. So when they cave to a decision such as this that is clearly benefitting the corporation why would you support that?

Back