Entries to single leg X-guard (SLX)?

trifecta

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been watching a lot of Marcelo Garcia lately, played around with the SLX and found it to be a perfect addition to my game as a right arm amputee (above the shoulder, no stump).

There's often the low hanging fruit (straight ankle lock) that I frequently pull off, even if my opponent knows it's coming. I generally SLX and butterfly to keep larger opponents from completing a standing pass, however if they find their way on top from the ground (e.g. side control) I feel I'm on the defensive too much.

Are there any entries to SLX from say, deep/half guard? Rubber? Kind of an odd transition, but I find that I use those to most from bottom. Any insights would be helpful, thanks!

There are full-x and SLX transitions from deep half, but I would have trouble describing these. There is a video on the Mendes Bros site called the 70-30 guard where they cover this. I can't see how you could easily transition from rubber to SLX...

There are full-x and SLX transitions from deep half, but I would have trouble describing these. There is a video on the Mendes Bros site called the 70-30 guard where they cover this. I can't see how you could easily transition from rubber to SLX...

My bad, I meant from mount bottom not rubber. There was the ADCC no gi tournament where Marcelo Garcia used it to escape/sweep Xande Ribiero:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA3M8RbVUt0

My bad, I meant from mount bottom not rubber. There was the ADCC no gi tournament where Marcelo Garcia used it to escape/sweep Xande Ribiero:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA3M8RbVUt0

Oh that makes more sense. That's actually pretty common. Knee to elbow is one of the primary mount escapes, and pretty much puts you right into SLX if that's what you're looking for.

[YT]_D_Sl_OHii4[/YT]

Just stop paying attention at about 4:16 ;) This video has some good details, but apparently he likes to pull half guard from there instead. I feel like SLX is a more natural choice though. Once the knee is in the middle, just bring your outside foot to his hip and you're there.

I'm not much of a deep-half player, but my guess would be that it would be easier to transition to full x first from there, at which point you could then transition to SLX if that's where you're more comfortable.

Oh that makes more sense. That's actually pretty common. Knee to elbow is one of the primary mount escapes, and pretty much puts you right into SLX if that's what you're looking for.

[YT]_D_Sl_OHii4[/YT]

Just stop paying attention at about 4:16 ;) This video has some good details, but apparently he likes to pull half guard from there instead. I feel like SLX is a more natural choice though. Once the knee is in the middle, just bring your outside foot to his hip and you're there.

I'm not much of a deep-half player, but my guess would be that it would be easier to transition to full x first from there, at which point you could then transition to SLX if that's where you're more comfortable.

Sorry for the delay, this was extremely helpful! I've been drilling this a lot lately :)

Sorry for the delay, this was extremely helpful! I've been drilling this a lot lately :)

Have you ever considered running a blog or a YouTube channel? Obviously you're going to be developing a very unique game, I'd watch what you come up with out of interest. I'm sure you would know better than most, but I can't imagine their is a large amount of resources for one arm BJJ. Plus you could inspire someone in a similar situation to take up the sport. Something to consider.

One entry I like is when your sitting and your opponent is standing. Buttscoot forward and similar to a dummy sweep but slightly angled with your left shoulder pointing slightly towards him put your left hook/shin on shin in and quickly sit forward and cup behind his right knee, place your right hand via stiff arm or your free foot(Mendes style) on his left knee and roll onto your right shoulder while pulling him forward and using your hook to lift his leg and drop it into 1 legged x.

Sorry no video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back