Elusive Fighters in Muay Thai

SandaKicker

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

I made this video of fight highlights paying tribute to some of the more elusive fighters in Muay Thai.

Depending on who you talk to there is a myth amongst some, mainly mma fans who are exposed to muay thai lite that Muay Thai fighters don't have great footwork.

In my opinion this is incorrect.

There are many Muay Thai fighters who can fight on the backfoot for the duration, use angles and changes in rhythm to win fights.

There are also guys like Petrosyan out there who have great footwork but there's a lot of jab, cross, left hook, right low kick spamming in Europe as well.

I also think good footwork is one of the most aesthetically pleasing fight skills to watch.

Who do you think has the best movement out of fighters past or present. I think Attachai is under rated in that regard and doesn't get as much as credit as other big names.

Petch U Thong is excellent at moving on one leg, while kicking or blocking with the other leg.

On top of the most well known guys there was Cherry who used to fight at 115-118 pounds a couple years ago and I never heard of again - really slick; Sarawute who used to fight at 122 iirc and was a really crafty fimeu (never heard of again either but I believe he was a bit on the older side when I first heard of him in); there was also a fight a couple years ago where that lanky guy Messi got completely outclassed by someone who was moving backwards just teeping and pivoting off, can't remember who it was. But I'm only thinking of specific fights and perhaps mixing elusiveness with other overall fimeu skills. just rambling actually.

I think the difference between elusive mma fighters and elusive muay thai / boxing fighters is there is a lot of wasted movement from elusive mma fighters and often they are not in a position to counter.

Ole Kiatoneway had some of the slickest pivots and go-arounds that I've ever seen. One moment he's getting pressured towards the ropes, next thing you know he's reversed the position with a sharp pivot or something and hitting the opponent from the blind side.

If we are talking ever, I think they have all been mentioned. Olay, Lerdsila, Somrak. And obviously, Samart belongs on that list.

How about Kwankao. Not the most elusive ever, but a pretty standard high level fighter.

Why they are not copied more?

Why they are not copied more?

I get the sense this is a rhetorical question.

But to give an honest most of them start when they are about 7 or 8 years old, train 5-6 hours a day and start to look good after dozens of fights. Not an easy process to put yourself through.

I get the sense this is a rhetorical question.

But to give an honest most of them start when they are about 7 or 8 years old, train 5-6 hours a day and start to look good after dozens of fights. Not an easy process to put yourself through.
I thought these guys were the exception in Thailand

Littewada is one of my favorites. Super slick Femeu with lovely boxing on the outside. Did a lot of sick angling footwork in the pocket too - Lomachenko-type hop-steps. His fights with Yodvicha are some of my favorite performances over the past decade

Littewada is one of my favorites. Super slick Femeu with lovely boxing on the outside. Did a lot of sick angling footwork in the pocket too - Lomachenko-type hop-steps. His fights with Yodvicha are some of my favorite performances over the past decade
Yeah he is one of my favourites too. His boxing looked to have improved even more in his last kickboxing fight in china. He had spent a year or so in the amateur booxing programme in thailand.
It is a pity he got injured before his fight with nuenglanlek. We would of seen where he was at.

Ok, IMHO, no one beats Olay in that category.

I don't think the fighter with an elusive style are necessarily the ones that get hit the least. But you can also check out Rambaa Somdet and Sudsakorn

I think Sudsakorn is really talented, just seems like he doesn't really care to train hard. IIRCn in an interview a couple of years back, he said he doesn't like to train and prefers playing football. Seems like he has his own gym now. Take my words with a grain of salt though, i could be wrong lol.

Last edited:
I don't think the fighter with an elusive style are necessarily the ones that get hit the least. But you can also check out Rambaa Somdet and Sudsakorn

I think Sudsakorn is really talented, just seems like he doesn't really care to train hard. IIRCn in an interview a couple of years back, he said he doesn't like to train and prefers playing football. Seems like he has his own gym now. Take my words with a grain of salt though, i could be wrong lol.

Well if you could eat as much as you want, bulk up and get paid good money to just beat up shit tier foreigners in Thai Fight you would, too :)
Sounds like a better plan than fighting psychopaths like Tengnueng, PTT or Payak Samui for less money, lol.
If I am not mistaken, but you know your stuff much better than I do, his gym is the Sor Klinmee gym that they renamed after him.

Well if you could eat as much as you want, bulk up and get paid good money to just beat up shit tier foreigners in Thai Fight you would, too :)
Sounds like a better plan than fighting psychopaths like Tengnueng, PTT or Payak Samui for less money, lol.
If I am not mistaken, but you know your stuff much better than I do, his gym is the Sor Klinmee gym that they renamed after him.
All i know is what i think i remember from an interview.

Also I thing Kongtoranee should be somewhere on that list. Dude just raidens himself to the other side of a charging apanyent.

Back