Eight months later: Sabas TC 16oz.

hangulmalmotayo

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
The quest for the perfect glove has led me to...

The Sabas Triple Cuff 16oz.

I decided it might be good to review a pair of gloves that I’ve used pretty thoroughly for the last eight months or so. I purchased the 16oz. Sabas TCs back in February and have used them exclusively on the heavy bag until now.

When I contacted Sabas and asked them for a recommendation between the SuperSofts and the Triple Cuffs, they recommended the latter on account of the padding which is apparently more suitable for the heavy bag. It’s also good to note that the Sabas bag gloves (the hook and loops) have identical padding to the Triple Cuffs.

The Fit:

The best thing about this glove, in my opinion, is the fit and feel. I was able to make a complete fist in these gloves and punch in an immensely satisfying way as a result of this. My punches feel pretty sharp with these gloves, almost like I’m lancing the bag with a spear. Except it’s my fist. And there’s no hole following my punch. My one complaint would be the thumb, it could maybe be just a pinch longer as my thumb hits the very end of the glove. But it’s not a serious problem.

Anyway, the fit is great. My favorite glove as far as that goes.

Performance (on the bag):

Performance on the bag is another area in which these gloves really shine. They provide a satisfying ‘pop’ with every punch. Also, due to the feedback that the glove provides, you can really get a sense for how you’re punching. While it provides great protection (which is interesting since it seems not to have as much padding as other gloves), it allows one to feel one’s punches. So I know when I’m punching with my first two knuckles because the padding does not push up against my entire fist. I’ve had the least amount of knuckle bruising with these (compared to other gloves, particularly the R2C C-17 16oz. gloves, which constantly resulted in bruises on my knuckles). I imagine a reason for why these gloves feel so good on the bag is because one is able to make a tight fist with them on. It’s a great feeling…

I’ve used the glove on mitts a few times and have enjoyed them there as well. I’d say the responsiveness of the gloves is what makes them really satisfying. This is the best part of the glove, in my opinion. I would go with lighter ones if I were not concerned about the padding.

Protection/padding:

Since I already brought it up, I might as well cover it here. These are not Winning inspired gloves. I don’t know what they’re based on (maybe Grants?). Nevertheless, I thought they provided great protection. I never felt like my hand was going to break. The wrist protection is decent (they’re lace-ups) but I’m not really into wrist protection anyway, so I can’t really speak to that. It’s good enough for me. Let’s just leave it at that.

The negative side to the responsive aspect is that the padding seems to have broken down pretty quickly. Probably after a few months I noticed an indentation where my first two knuckles are. A few days ago (after the plastic wrapping came out from a tear in the liner in the glove), I felt the padding and it is basically non-existent where my knuckles are. I don’t know how long that they’ve been this way (I suspect it’s been a few months), but the padding seems not to last terribly long. I don’t know if 8 months is considered a long time for use on the heavy bag, but I expected them to go at least a year. The Sabas people told me that it should last at least that long… I don’t know if I’d spend the same amount of money just for a pair of gloves that I’m going to dedicate to the heavy bag if they don’t last more than a year.

Notwithstanding the problem with the padding (or maybe because of it) the glove has been extremely comfortable and has felt great on the bag. Only recently I’ve been having issues with knuckle bruising. At the point the padding is above and below my knuckles—the result is that it’s just the leather protecting my knuckles really. That said, I imagine I’ll continue to use these gloves on the bag for a few more months. I’m not 100% convinced that the bruising is a result of this glove and not another pair.

Look:

They look fine to me. I tend to prefer simple looking gloves. The fact that this has a split thumb and is several colors is a bit flashier than I tend towards, but it’s grown on me somewhat. The leather is great quality. Unlike certain other gloves that I’ve had, the leather has not shown any signs of wear (and it’s white leather!). To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the triple cuff. I prefer the straight cuff. It's cleaner. You know?

I like the logo on account of its simplicity. Not a huge fan of the logos of Ring to Cage or UMA. I like the old school look. But that's neither here nor there.

The deterioration of the padding causes the leather to sink in at the knuckle which is not pretty, but they’re for punching people in the face, so I guess that’s not terribly important. I’ll post pictures of this later.

Cost:

Like I said, I’m not sure it’s worth the $100+ just to use on the bag for a few months. I have a pair of SuperSofts for sparring. I’m probably not going to replace this pair with another TC pair for the bag simply because I don’t think it’s ultimately worth it. I really love this glove (my favorite so far), but the durability really is an issue. Someone else on here recommended the Winning MS300 Pro Fight Gloves for the heavy bag and I might try those if I can get someone to buy them for me for my birthday… You know how it is.

Word on the street is that Sabas is coming out with a new model for the TCs (“Prime,” they say). If there are significant improvements with the durability of the padding on those, I might get them. Also, I’ll probably aim for lighter gloves to use on the bag in the future.

Anyway, I’ve been recommending the Sabas TC on various threads and now that the padding is deteriorating, I thought I’d post a little review.

TL;DR: I love this glove (my favorite so far in terms of fit, feel and protection), but the padding is not very durable. It’s been eight months and there is virtually no padding on the knuckle area. I’d buy another pair for sparring... Maybe for bag work if they come out with better padding and/or become more affordable. In the meantime, I’m waiting for the TU DA’s to go on sale so I can use those on the bag…

Fit: 10
Feel: 10 (don't know if this is a real category)
Appearance: 8
Protection: 9
Responsiveness: 10
Craftsmanship: 7 (due to the liner tearing and the plastic wrapping coming out)
Durability: 5 (the leather and the stitching get a 10; the liner and padding get a 5)
Cost: 7 (this would be a 10 if the durability were higher)

Last edited:
Sucks that they didn't hold up! Can you tell us more about the padding set up? Love to see some pics too.

Sucks that they didn't hold up! Can you tell us more about the padding set up? Love to see some pics too.
Hmm, as far as the padding setup goes, I'm sure there are others who would know better(@rmphilmacrac?). I suppose I could always cut them open to see, but I want to keep using them until they are absolutely unusable.

I will post pictures later today to show what I mean about the knuckle padding.

What's weird is that I think the sweet spot was when the padding had half-deteriorated. That was when I seemed to get just the right amount of response and protection. Now it's just leather... This would definitely be my favorite glove if it lasted longer. If they were more durable, they would absolutely be worth the price.

You can always bring life back into the knuckles by using some high quality knuckle guards; such as the Winning NG2 gel/latex guards.

And I am also curious about the upcoming Sabas Prime model.

What heavybag are you using?

I hear that bags like the Outslayer and Pro Boxing Supplies are becoming the gold standard for heavybags, due to not using sand and using only fabric (overall softer, and does not harden/sag at the bottom over time). Also cheaper because they are not leather.

I rotate around my Outslayer heavybag and Everlast Super Leather heavybags. The Outslayer is definitely softer and more forgiving on the joints.

You can always bring life back into the knuckles by using some high quality knuckle guards; such as the Winning NG2 gel/latex guards.

And I am also curious about the upcoming Sabas Prime model.

What heavybag are you using?

I hear that bags like the Outslayer and Pro Boxing Supplies are becoming the gold standard for heavybags, due to not using sand and using only fabric (overall softer, and does not harden/sag at the bottom over time). Also cheaper because they are not leather.

I rotate around my Outslayer heavybag and Everlast Super Leather heavybags. The Outslayer is definitely softer and more forgiving on the joints.
I use the 100lb. Outslayer bag, a 12" and 18" Taylor Made Buoy (~140lb.). I agree. The Outslayer bag is great.

I will try using the NG2s with the Sabas, I just don't like how cramped it gets in the glove compartment. But this is probably the route I will go for the time being.

I will upload some pictures below.

So here are some pictures of the gloves.

Here you can see the dent when I straighten my hand in the glove:
IMG_2874.jpg

The area I'm pressing has no padding:
IMG_2875.jpg

Same:
IMG_2876.jpg

The remaining indentation:
IMG_2877.jpg

So the little particles are pieces of foam that have been coming out of the broken liner (after the plastic wrapping broke and came out):
IMG_2878.jpg

Here you can kind of see where the foam starts breaking down:
IMG_2879.jpg

What's your weight class by the way? Do you consider yourself a hard puncher?

I fluctuate between 160-170. I'd like to think that I'm a hard puncher. Haha...

You can actually feel the two dents in the padding from inside the glove where my index and middle knuckles are. I hate wrapping my hand with NG2s so I gorilla taped them to the inside. We'll see how that goes... it actually feels pretty natural.

Sabas hasnt told me anything about the formula besides it being layer latex i think.....pretty sure if i remember correctly

Glad that you found a work around with the knuckle guards. I'm surprised that these broke down, probably the first bad thing I've read about Sabas. I have to ask, did you let them dry out all the way between uses? I know that moisture can lead to premature foam breakdown.

Glad that you found a work around with the knuckle guards. I'm surprised that these broke down, probably the first bad thing I've read about Sabas. I have to ask, did you let them dry out all the way between uses? I know that moisture can lead to premature foam breakdown.
Definitely. I open them up in front of a fan immediately after I use them. Also, the humidity tends to be extremely low in the basement because of our dehumidifier. They have always been completely dry when I used them. If I did a two-a-day, I'd just use a different pair of gloves.

To be fair, this also happened within a few months with my 16oz. R2C C17s. Except those just flattened out, they didn't deteriorate like these ones.

I'm pretty anal about keeping my gloves dry.

Also, I should emphasize that these are still my favorite pair of gloves. I just wish the padding was a little more durable.

I'm pretty anal about keeping my gloves dry.

Also, I should emphasize that these are still my favorite pair of gloves. I just wish the padding was a little more durable.

I forgot to mention. I was in contact with Sabas for a custom Pro/TC glove. I was requesting to add an EVA layer (the most inner layer of their Supersoft, might also be the same as the most inner layer of Winning trainers). They said it would be fine, but I have not placed the order just yet. Maybe I'll re-inquire about it again with the upcoming Prime TC/pro model.

I've been wondering. Theoretically; shouldn't gloves with thicker padding have greater durability? The chance of being able to punch through the padding of protective gloves is lower too. I'm not exactly comparing Sabas' TC/Pro model to their Supersoft, because the Supersoft's padding doesn't seem to be thicker (if at all) than TC/Pro.

On the other hand, we have gloves like Everlast Protex 3 Evergel and UMA RT-41, known for being overprotective and bulkier. I'm thinking these should just naturally be more durable due to having extra padding on the knuckles.

However, I'm not taking into account on the differences of padding materials. Just thickness/bulk. I believe that most "puncher's" trainers use only latex (although there are many kinds of latex), and most "pillow" trainers use a multi layered foam consisting of EVA, polyurethane foam, etc..

I hear high quality latex is supposed to be the most durable when it comes to gloves. Let's take Cleto Reyes trainers for example. I hear numerous stories of these lasting a very long time. Not just the padding (high quality latex), but the overall materials and construction quality.

I'm thinking an extra latex padded glove should be the most durable in this case. Maybe the Cleto Reyes extra padding model (I hear mixed reviews about its awkward fit though). But take that with a grain of salt, I'm just theorizing lol.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention. I was in contact with Sabas for a custom Pro/TC glove. I was requesting to add an EVA layer (the most inner layer of their Supersoft, might also be the same as the most inner layer of Winning trainers). They said it would be fine, but I have not placed the order just yet. Maybe I'll re-inquire about it again with the upcoming Prime TC/pro model.

I've been wondering. Theoretically; shouldn't gloves with thicker padding have greater durability? The chance of being able to punch through the padding of protective gloves is lower too. I'm not exactly comparing Sabas' TC/Pro model to their Supersoft, because the Supersoft's padding doesn't seem to be thicker (if at all) than TC/Pro.

On the other hand, we have gloves like Everlast Protex 3 Evergel and UMA RT-41, known for being overprotective and bulkier. I'm thinking these should just naturally be more durable due to having extra padding on the knuckles.

However, I'm not taking into account on the differences of padding materials. Just thickness/bulk. I believe that most "puncher's" trainers use only latex (although there are many kinds of latex), and most "pillow" trainers use a multi layered foam consisting of EVA, polyurethane foam, etc..

I hear high quality latex is supposed to be the most durable when it comes to gloves. Let's take Cleto Reyes trainers for example. I hear numerous stories of these lasting a very long time. Not just the padding (high quality latex), but the overall materials and construction quality.

I'm thinking an extra latex padded glove should be the most durable in this case. Maybe the Cleto Reyes extra padding model (I hear mixed reviews about its awkward fit though). But take that with a grain of salt, I'm just theorizing lol.
That's really interesting.

I don't know very much about the details that go into gloves (i.e., the different types of foam, latex, etc.). So that's helpful to hear. I have tried the regular Cleto Reyes training gloves and didn't particularly like the padding of the gloves (felt like it wasn't particularly responsive, surprisingly). It might be that I didn't give it enough time to break in. I ended up selling them, though, because I figured that I might as well spend that money on a pair of gloves that I knew I liked.

I don't really remember what the TC padding was like when I first got them, but they seem thinner to me than the SuperSofts. This might be simply because the padding deteriorated early on, but this has been my impression...

Let me know what you hear about the Prime models. It'd be good to hear about these things from someone who knows about the different types of material used in glove making. I'm an ignoramus when it comes to these matters.

I have been using the SuperSofts here and there for light bag work and I actually don't mind them. I feel they provide a decent amount of response, but not the same as the TCs. I don't know. Perhaps the ideal glove does not actually exist except as some immaterial form off in another realm. 'Gloveness': in which every particular glove somehow participates imperfectly.

Okay, it's time to sleep...

Hi Hangulmalmotayo, I enjoyed reading your review and that sucked that the padding went out so soon because those gloves really look nice.

Hi Hangulmalmotayo, I enjoyed reading your review and that sucked that the padding went out so soon because those gloves really look nice.
Thanks!

To be honest, I'm surprised that other people are not having the same issue. I just assumed it had to do with the way the TCs were made.

If there is anyone who has used this glove for a while on the heavy bag and has not had any issues with the padding, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:
I've been using my SS2.0s on the bag and noticed that the liner in the SS seem to be substantially thicker and so less liable to tearing. I purchased SS2.0s a few months after the TCs (maybe four months or so?).

Also, I was told by Annette at Sabas that the padding and the liner on the new Prime model will be different from the TCs. Moreover, the current ProSeries is different in padding and liner from the model that I had (which were prior to the ProSeries--I got my TCs in February of this year).

So that should clear up some confusion...

Which leads to a question: can anyone who has both the original TCs and the ProSeries compare the padding? I'm interested in knowing whether the change in padding has affected the performance of the glove in anyway. I imagine that the ProSeries are more durable, but I wonder if they are less responsive...

How often did you use them? If you used them five times a week on a really hard bag then maybe no other glove would have lasted longer?

Thank you for posting, all users are different of course. But yes for this particular glove design and others in the early part of the year, the padding was not as durable as what the ProSeries is today, any glove online today is better than older models, we have worked hard to improve the product as we go along, new gloves both have better padding and better liners, yet price remains the same. thank you for everyone's feedback -TeamSABAS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back