ego stroke post...

Drew Foster

Silver Belt
Reaction score
I know it couldbe a fluke, but I really feel myself improving. I'm a solid white belt. I'm at the learning to wlk stage.

Last night I rolled with a high level purple who I had never met before. I had a butterfly guard and did an overhead sweep. He postedout his feet wide, and I immediately transitioned to a X-Guard, swept him over backwards and rolled right into a kneebar. I didn't finish the lock, but I was proud of mysef nonetheless. I also passed a difficult guard and almost caught a Darce. Especially after being on a plateau recently, this felt really good.

Sory for wasting space for this guys. Anyone who knows me here knows I'm not a braggart so please don't take me for a BMA-MATT.

WAR BJJ!

Later fellas!

Really good job Drew.

Its nights like this that let you know certain parts of your game are getting better.

I have had nights where a loss showed me I was improving quite a bitl

It is good to talk about in the forum because most normal folks have no clue about chokes, guard or even the meaning of a purple in BJJ.

Did you pull guard then armbar him 10 times in 2 minutes?

that's great - days like that make it easier to take the beatings

I had a chicken sandwich for lunch yesterday.

Really good job Drew.

Its nights like this that let you know certain parts of your game are getting better.

I have had nights where a loss showed me I was improving quite a bitl

It is good to talk about in the forum because most normal folks have no clue about chokes, guard or even the meaning of a purple in BJJ.

Thanks man. I told my GF all excited and she was like. UHHHH Cool!

I'm like, "Damnit!"

But yeah man getting tapped if you have the propr attitude can show you where you went wrong. It's easy to say leave your ego at the door. But it's another thing to actually d that night-in-and-out. It's a constant path! But some moments just let you know you're on the right one!

Thanks for the response knoxpx!

Is this BMA-Matt again? j/k

good for you. I gotta add X guard to my butterfly game.

Thanks man. I told my GF all excited and she was like. UHHHH Cool!

Hahaha! That's one of the best things about my wife training. We both understand and appreciate when the other one breaks a plateau or accomplishes something significant.

Hahaha! That's one of the best things about my wife training. We both understand and appreciate when the other one breaks a plateau or accomplishes something significant.

dude I am really jealous of you - did you have to bug her to do it or did she want to train? are there lots of women at your school? I have never seen any at mine. I would love it if my wife would train.

That's excellent dude, and I am happy for you...but you are no BMA-Mat. You need to work on your guard pulling to instructor armbarring. Then we can really make fun of you.

I had a feeling like this yesterday..but there's always something to put you back in check.

My first day back after about 3 weeks off, the first roll everyone went with who they did drills with. this one white belt was like the odd one out and had no one to roll with so I rolled with him. Yeah he was new, but I used a lot of techniques I have been pondering the last few weeks and it made me feel good to see them working.

Though as I said, It got balanced out quite nicely. My next roll was with a blue belt and he's been out for a while too, but he kept himself in shape...and he kicked my ass. Passed through my guard like it wasn't there, had some fun in side mount for a while, decided to go back to mount, then tapped me out, then repeat.

I don't know about you guys but I like someone to keep my ego in check.

I had a feeling like this yesterday..but there's always something to put you back in check.

My first day back after about 3 weeks off, the first roll everyone went with who they did drills with. this one white belt was like the odd one out and had no one to roll with so I rolled with him. Yeah he was new, but I used a lot of techniques I have been pondering the last few weeks and it made me feel good to see them working.

Though as I said, It got balanced out quite nicely. My next roll was with a blue belt and he's been out for a while too, but he kept himself in shape...and he kicked my ass. Passed through my guard like it wasn't there, had some fun in side mount for a while, decided to go back to mount, then tapped me out, then repeat.

I don't know about you guys but I like someone to keep my ego in check.

^^^^

powerful post

dude I am really jealous of you - did you have to bug her to do it or did she want to train? are there lots of women at your school? I have never seen any at mine. I would love it if my wife would train.

Didn't have to bug her at all. Back when I had only been training for about a month, she came in to watch class one night on a whim. My first roll of the night was me getting tooled left and right by a female blue belt that was about 30 lbs smaller than me. My wife walked right up to the instructor and asked to sign up.

Two years later, she's still my favorite training partner and one of my toughest opponents. We know each other's games so well, it's a constant back and forth when we fight.

You bragging son of a...

No seriously well done. It's hard as a whitebelt to do anything that you are really proud of because the ceiling is so high above you, we are the bottom feeders :) We have to take what we can get, chalk it up as progress, smile alone, and go take another beating.

My gf doesn't totally understand and she tries so when i come home and tell her something she usually gives me a good job...job. :) That's recognition enough for me.

I can't believe how many of you actually give training details to your girlfriends:D

When my ladyfriend asks about bjj that day, she gets either an 'it was ok' - meaning poor training and/or minor injury suffered, or an 'it was good' - meaning good training and no injury. That's about it, because that's about all she's going to understand and, in all honesty, about all I take form any given training session. I give slightly more details about competition results, but I'm not sure how much of it gets through. I gave the lady a pretty detailed description of the sub I got on a D1 national qualifier wrestler this past weekend in the no-gi advanced division I won, but I'm almost certain I was just wasting my breath. I think we would all be better off saving the glory stories for the interwebs and the gym, and sparing our significant others the details.

Hey congrats! That was the DSG, right? How many matches did you have? I heard Chris Romanchick won his division too. Which weight class did you compete in? I thought you were around the same weight as him.

I was 150-159, Chris was the weight above. He had two awesome late come from behind victories in his matches (very dramatic stuff), I picked up a standing guillotine on the wrestler (he was very physical, and ended up coming in 3rd beating Jimmy a Balance purple belt in the 3/4 match) and a kimura to armbar in the finals against a purple belt from somewhere I can't remember.

Back