Effectiveness of 'Teepee' from subs 101 / failed triangle

millasur

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've often had triangles where I can't get the leg angle to finish, but I haven't hipped out quickly enough and the opp has stacked me, so I'm basically folded in half, very slightly to one side, with legs almost at the correct triangle angle, but I can't adjust my position well enough to finish. So, I get Subs101 is hated heh but I forgot to ask at training yesterday....

Being stuck in this position, I can imagine that transitioning to the 'teepee' would be quite easy, as you can jus extend your legs up and you're already folded up, making grabbing behind your legs easier also.

Obviously I don't want to use it in place of improving my triangle, but wondering if it works reasonably well, if there's really no other option.

NB: I tend to get stacked and passed if I don't lock up the triangle quickly enough, so if you feel you are 'losing' it, what should be the go to moves?

Cheers!

Omoplata, if the armbar is there, take the armbar before attempting to omoplata. If no omoplata, sweep. Usually, the omoplata is there.

The "teepee" is fine, make sure you're flexible enough to reach behind your legs to lock it. It's not just a S101 thing either, it just has the unfortunate reputation of being up on that site.

I've used it ever since I started Jiu Jitsu if people tried to posture directly back out of my triangles (I have super long arms/legs) and it's money. Oddly enough earlier this summer I was at a seminar done by Bruno Frazzato and he taught the teepee from a closed guard attack series; so it is definitely legit.

The only odd thing about it is sometimes you'll get the tap from causing pain (typically crushing the clavicle/shoulder) and sometimes you'll actually get the choke; what I have to stress is this is not the scorpion crunch where you can fuck up your opponents ribs and have them vomit on you... don't do that.

It's perfectly legit. I prefer the reverse triangle, though.

At one time I had hear that Barret Yoshida actually started using it a lot and got it somewhat popular. Then "He who's name we shall not speak" put it in a certain dvd about using prophylactics in guard.

So, I get Subs101 is hated heh but I forgot to ask at training yesterday....

The problem with subs101 isn't the 'techniques' (for the most part) but the 'technique'.

Teepee works fine when it's there.

I think the best time to transistion to it is when they have their hand thats in the triangle like, I don't know how to explain this, but their shoulder is as far as it can be away from their neck. it makes it difficult to lock it in, if I can't spin perpendicular I want to be able to transistion to the teepee

with all that being said I've only been able to use the teepee correctly when I was drunk as fuck. only gone for it one time in training recently, before that I considered it junk

works best if the guy is trying to hide the arm, and in that situation an omoplata or reverse triangle would be preferable. Defiantly works though, especially if you have big, short legs.

We had a guy that used to use it all the time. It was very effective. I think it's legit, but has a bad rep because of subs-101.

I haven't had as much luck getting it from any position like he did, but I do use it occasionally. It works very well if your opponent tries to hide his arm as it pushes his shoulder forward allowing you to drive it into his carotid. I prefer that over the omoplata since the omoplata is still an option if the teepee fails. If my opponent is preventing me from getting the angle to finish the triangle but doesn't hide the arm I'll switch to the reverse triangle.

Just be careful not to burn your legs out. That's why I don't do it if my opponent's arm isn't hidden -- I don't feel like the pressure is there otherwise. Also, be sure to use constant, even pressure. Don't "surge" with all your strength for a few seconds and then relax.

Just posting here as I got teepee'd in class yesterday by someone more than legit lol. I had a couple of seconds, but had to tap soon after, as in it's not like a tight choke like a triangle or rnc (damn, choke, tap, possibly cough lol). but teepee was like shoulders being crushed, slight choke, general compression, hmm could tap, but i'm ok, can't really fight out of it, pressure builds up, tap.

While we're on the discussion, I asked a higher belt about it and he said he just sticks tot eh basics as they're the most effective / fast working moves - he said if you're going for a triangle from guard that you can't get, just scoot down and hook the leg with an arm, and roll to mount and finish...

Last edited:
Back