Eddie Bravo's Triangle???

Drew Foster

Silver Belt
Reaction score
I included this question in my Tepee thread, but the Tepe part ended up taking center stage and this question went unnoticed.

Anyway, why does Eddie Bravo never move the arm across when he has you locked in a triangle? My instructor says we should automatically move the arm across once we lock in the choke, and hen make a b-line for the back of their heads and gable grip them down into the choke to keep their posture broken.

But I've noticed that not everyone moves the arm across, especiallyy Eddie. Is there a reason for this. How do you execute the choke without the arm across? Do you just tilt their head so their throat is against your inner thigh and then pull down on the back of their had to drive their throat into your thigh?

in an ideal situation you should have the arm across, but it's not necessary to get the tap. for example, the tee pee or glover finsh would work with out your opponents arm across their neck.

just started messing with the tepee when i cant cross the arm, but what is this glover finish^^^?

if you cut deep enough you are actually using your leg instead of the arm under the chin , i have long skinny legs and i can get the triangle with no arm

if you cut deep enough you are actually using your leg instead of the arm under the chin , i have long skinny legs and i can get the triangle with no arm

wouldnt that be a scissor choke then instead of a triangle since there would not be three parts?

Very simply bc Eddie has the smoothest transition to the omoplata in the game so he cna either finish the triangle there or go right to the omoplata - usually to sweep.

I took this philosphy and put it in my own game. I said this yesterday but I always grab the shin FIRST to make sure my opponent can not posture as opposed to worrying about the arm. The arm you can worry about last or just transition to the omoplata. ORRRRR just finish with the reverse triangle!!!

wouldnt that be a scissor choke then instead of a triangle since there would not be three parts?

No because you still would have a figure four with your legs and their head and arm would still be trapped.

Originally Posted by mmafanw

No because you still would have a figure four with your legs and their head and arm would still be trapped.

yes what he said, it doesnt work on everybody and you have to get a really good angle to pull it off

I included this question in my Tepee thread, but the Tepe part ended up taking center stage and this question went unnoticed.

Anyway, why does Eddie Bravo never move the arm across when he has you locked in a triangle? My instructor says we should automatically move the arm across once we lock in the choke, and hen make a b-line for the back of their heads and gable grip them down into the choke to keep their posture broken.

But I've noticed that not everyone moves the arm across, especiallyy Eddie. Is there a reason for this. How do you execute the choke without the arm across? Do you just tilt their head so their throat is against your inner thigh and then pull down on the back of their had to drive their throat into your thigh?

you can finish the triangle with the arm across, arm next to the body, arm hidden behind your butt, or even the arm choking you like darth vader. the arm creates increased pressure on the throat/windpipe/carotid artery, BUT a tight triangle doesnt come from the arm, it comes from your shin. if your leg is across their shoulders much like a weight bar would be during squats, and you lock your triangle, your opponent is gonna be in choke city if you just squeeze your legs - no head grabbing needed.

most of the triangles i see in fights/competitions/training are half-assed attempts. people make a ton of mistakes and never fully finish their triangle, hence why when someone gets the arm across and gables the head the opponent escapes realatively easily. hell, look at silva's triangle on lutter. that could've been a dozen times tighter and lutter could've easily escaped.

I'm not sure how eddie does it, but i'll check it out.

I know I usually switch to an inverted/reverse/backwards triangle and glover whenever i can in this situation for a quick tap, but i've secured many submissions by just glover finishing with the regular triangle too.

Glover finish is when you come over the top of both knees with a monkey grip and ball up your hands to add extra squeezing power to your choke.

l_6ea0083c66052ba9b96e2b14133a3c9e.jpg

I'm not sure how eddie does it, but i'll check it out.

I know I usually switch to an inverted/reverse/backwards triangle and glover whenever i can in this situation for a quick tap, but i've secured many submissions by just glover finishing with the regular triangle too.

Glover finish is when you come over the top of both knees with a monkey grip and ball up your hands to add extra squeezing power to your choke.

l_6ea0083c66052ba9b96e2b14133a3c9e.jpg

That looks pretty awesome. So you just reach and hug around your legs and s-grip then sqeeze?

That looks pretty awesome. So you just reach and hug around your legs and s-grip then sqeeze?

basically, but it takes a bit of practice to get down. once you're good at it I'd say it's probably the best way to finish the triangle, unless ofcourse slamming is legal or something of that odd nature.

Back