• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Eddie Alvarez Shreds UFC for Double Standard

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
eddie-alvarez-mma-beltjpg.jpg

One Standard for Stars, One Standard for Winners

“I love the UFC,” Alvarez told the media at Wednesday’s Philadelphia 76ers game (via Crossing Board). “I love watching it. An event like the last one I just saw (UFC 245) -- it’s the best vs. the best. The whole main card reminded me of the old UFC where you had Matt Hughes, Georges St. Pierre, loaded cards from top to bottom and real fights.

What’s happening is I don’t like the way they’re making their own rules. Jose Aldo just lost to Marlon Moraes, a friend of mine, and Dana (White) goes public and says Aldo is getting a title shot. . . What?

“Imagine that in this sport (basketball). You’re in the playoffs, a team wins and gets the right to go to the championship,” Alvarez continued. “The league doesn’t see it profitable enough so they just let another team go.

“It’s happening across the board. You hear them saying Conor (McGregor) is gonna get a title shot if he beats Cowboy (Donald Cerrone). He got wiped out by Khabib (Nurmagomedov). It wasn’t close. You get wiped out and you have to be honest with yourself. A lot of people have beaten Cowboy. I lost to Cowboy but Cowboy has lost something like seven out of his last 10 fights.”

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/one-championship/eddie-alvarez-argues-against-ufc-title-shots-for-jose-aldo-conor-mcgregor/

Last edited:
I get where he's coming from.

I blame the fans though because this is what they want.

Aldo won all 3 rounds and I was surprised when they announced it was a split decision let alone a split decision for marlon. Aldo vs Cejudo and yan vs sterling no. 1 contenders match

There's always gonna be that battle, between being a legitimate sports organization versus "Sports Entertainment". I'm a purist and would love to always see the best fighting the best, with the deserving fighters getting title shots. But I also understand that it's a business, and their number one goal is to make money. It's a bit frustrating, but it has always been that way. Maybe one day it will change and adopt a more structured sports league format (like PFL), but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Should be Sterling tbh. He looked like a killer in his last fight.

“Imagine that in this sport (basketball). You’re in the playoffs, a team wins and gets the right to go to the championship,” Alvarez continued. “The league doesn’t see it profitable enough so they just let another team go.
Yeah, could you imagine if a guy got KO'ed in the quarterfinals of a tournament, and then got brought back into the semifinals of the tournament based on his name value, even though he was 0-1 in the promotion?

Oh wait, that was literally what happened to Alvarez in 2019.

Impressive levels of CTE on display.

Aldo doesn't deserve a title shot after that fight, neither does Moraes. Yan and Sterling look way better. And with Cejudo being very undersized I think they have a great chance to win. Basically Cejudo is picking the easiest fight possible. And Dana will play along, because Aldo is the best known name.

Is it shitty and unfair? Yes. Is it news for anybody? Not at all.

I’d love to see Aldo vs this new featherweight champion that’s the epitome of an mma fight if there ever was, who cares about some bs technicality

The only issue I have is when ducks get to leave the sport for years and come back and fight for the title like GSP and Conor

If Dillashaw got a shot against Cejudo I’d love it.

On the other hand, most of the time the matchmakers get it right, and the title shot for Aldo is far from being official.

“A lot of people have beaten Cowboy. I lost to Cowboy but Cowboy has lost something like seven out of his last 10 fights.”
Eddie lost to Cowboy then won 2 controversial split decisions and got a title shot. He shouldn't throw stones.
Cowboy has lost fights at WW. But at LW his last 4 losses are to Tony(winning R1), Gaethje, prime champ Pettis, prime champ RDA.

Aldo beat Moraes and would beat salty/chinny Eddie too

I’d love to see Aldo vs this new featherweight champion that’s the epitome of an mma fight if there ever was, who cares about some bs technicality

The only issue I have is when ducks get to leave the sport for years and come back and fight for the title like GSP and Conor

If Dillashaw got a shot against Cejudo I’d love it.
He already lost to this new FW champion.

No. Everyone is fine with Israel fighting Romero, coming off a loss. It’s the exact same scenario. It’s us with the double standard.

The thing is most sports have a scoring system where numbers add up. MMA "scoring" is extremely subjective to what they judges think they are seeing, and can easily get a fight decision wrong based upon their "feelings" towards the fight.

Not all strikes are equal, but we have no way of measuring how hard they land other than going back and watching a replay to see the impact. But even that doesn't tell you how effective a shot was.

I don't like the UFC's politics, but I really hate watching fighters get robbed of a win that could take their career a completely different way.

It was a close fight, but I feel Aldo should've got the win. MMA truly needs a better scoring system.

You can't really use the basketball analogy though, ball sports don't go to a judges decision, the outcome is decisive.
Aldo won that fight hands down so I get what Dana is doing there, the Conor thing stinks though, I agree on that point, he should walk through cowboy and that absolutely does not earn him a title fight, it should earn him a Gaethje fight or Poirier rematch, nothing more.

obviously McG is getting preferential treatment.
That's what happens when you KO every FW you fight except Max and you beat the invincible Aldo in 13 seconds.
(look at how big of a draw is Masvidal now with his 5 secs KO of a previously unbeaten fighter)
When you accept every short notice change of opponents without complain, when you're easily the biggest draw in the sport - you get preferential treatment.

I like Conor - that's obvious - but even if someone I fully dislike like Ronda came back and asked for a title shot vs Nunes I'd be ok with that.
Despite her getting smoked by Nunes, Conor at least won a round vs Khabib and gave him the most trouble he's had since Tibau

Dana has way too much power over what happens with title shots, it ruins the legitimacy of the sport. Dana has double standards for everything.

Back