Ed O'Neill

SmokWhed

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Has anyone here/anyone you know ever rolled with or watched Ed O'Neill roll? Obviously he's no joke and worked hard to get his black belt from Rorion but the mental picture of him throwing a triangle on someone is very amusing. How skilled are we talking?

Also any pictures or videos would be greatly appreciated as well since I can't seem to really find any.

I saw him roll with Ryron at the promotion ceremony where he got his black belt. He looked legit to me, but I was a relatively new white belt at the time, so I was not a qualified judge. He was very gracious when he got his belt, and seemed like a good guy.

Although not Ed O'Neill, I once got to train with one of Rorion's American black belts. There aren't that many of them as far as I know, and I would assume Ed to have a similar style coming from the same school.

It was really one of the coolest experiences I've had in BJJ to roll with this guy. Super nice guy as would be expected, but he also just had a really neat style of BJJ. It was very old school and reminded me a lot of the old Gracie instructional tapes Rorion did.

I found the guy to be quite skilled. He had probably close to fifteen years of BJJ experience, so you just pick up a lot of stuff in that time regardless. I really enjoyed rolling with him because his style was so rare nowadays.

Here is some of his earlier footage... limited grappling

Very awesome video, sick modified neck crank from side control at 1:53. Crisp Boxing too

Has anyone here/anyone you know ever rolled with or watched Ed O'Neill roll? Obviously he's no joke and worked hard to get his black belt from Rorion but the mental picture of him throwing a triangle on someone is very amusing. How skilled are we talking?

Also any pictures or videos would be greatly appreciated as well since I can't seem to really find any.

Probably as skilled as any legit black belt. Not sure why this thread comes up every few months where people question his skills. The dude's been training for a long time and could probably destroy 99% of the people on this forum.

Probably as skilled as any legit black belt. Not sure why this thread comes up every few months where people question his skills. The dude's been training for a long time and could probably destroy 99% of the people on this forum.

I think it comes up every few months because it gives people hope. If "Al Bundy" can get a black belt, so can I....right?

Yes, you probably can if you train for 15 years.

15 years at the Gracie Academy (including a ton of privates), I'm guessing he's super legit. From what I've heard from members of the GA, they don't give out black belts very often.

Not to mention the fact that the man a huge physical specimin in real life. He looks like a ex-linebacker.

I met him on a rooftop bar in San Diego a few years back. There were a bunch of actors there wrapping up filming. He actually came up to us and struck up a conversation. Awesome guy.

How is no one mentioning that he once scored 4 touchdowns in one game for Polk High!?!? 4- that's like winning 4 mundials in one mundials!

Id imagine he's definitely real cool to hang out with. Let ol Spencer Pratt prove his black belt by rolling with Ed on his fancy tv show.

I love him in the modern family tv show , there's an ep where he teaches his son the rnc , i'll try to find a clip of it.

I love him in the modern family tv show , there's an ep where he teaches his son the rnc , i'll try to find a clip of it.

that was pretty funny, i think he wore a Gracie t-shirt on another episode as well, glad to see he's putting some of his personal life into the show!

I thought it was just part of his character when he said he was taught by the Gracies untill I looked at his triva on IMDB.

Back