• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Eating Disorders in MMA | An Underground Epidemic

SuperNerd

Playoff Mode.
@plutonium
Reaction score

I searched, sorry if it's been posted.

Discussions about eating disorders in MMA have been getting a bit more traction with Paddy's fat ass and O'Malley being on JRE, but it's not something I gave a lot of thought.

This video is both entertaining and informative. It was eye opening for me.
The amount of fighters who have problems with food is unrivaled by other sports and it's not something fighters prepare for, or know how to deal with.

I think this is a good watch for MMA nerds, and if you're looking for a new angle to bitch about weight cutting, this is good for you too.

Discussions about eating disorders in MMA have been getting a bit more traction with Paddy's fat ass and O'Malley being on JRE, but it's not something I gave a lot of thought.

The amount of fighters who have problems with food is unrivaled by other sports and it's not something fighters prepare for, or know how to deal with.

I think this is a good watch for MMA nerds, and if you're looking for a new angle to bitch about weight cutting, this is good for you too.

I doubt it's unrivaled by other sports, though.

7FVpb6HWBWbNGBiT1dTx1NYZHsiWDv94ZOD_AMeXtLc.jpg

Zion-Williamson-Mocked-by-Netizens-for-Gaining-Weight-1.jpg

201216-james-harden.png

<{outtahere}>

Binge eating. Anyone ready the quote from Matt Brown saying that Paddy is underdeveloped skill-wise because most of his training camps are focused more around weight management?

Yeah, it comes up in this video as well.

This is part of the reason why I got my degree in nutrition. I wrestled for 13 years and my weight fluctuations were terrible my Senior year of high school and Freshman year of College. My senior year I was cutting to 135 lbs every Friday/Saturday and by Sunday evening I would weigh around 148 lbs. Then do it all over again in a 5 days. It was an unhealthy cycle and this was happening for 4 months out of the year. If I knew what I know now, I would have gone about it much differently.

Combat sports should be doing more to limit weight cutting. Hydration testing would be good.
Hydration testing is good if they can really crack down on the cheating. A lot of times I had college teammates cut weight going into the hydration test, put some urine in a visine bottle and dilute it with water. Then tape it to their junk and squeeze the visine bottle into the cup and they would pass. These were observed collections too. Weighing in lighter during the hydration test allowed competitors to drop to a lower weight class in a shorter amount of time.

I have an eating disorder from cutting weight. It's why I am now almost as fat as the average american. Oh wait. Maybe it's not the weight cutting. Maybe it's just the modern world and everyones fat.

Gotta eat to live. They’re just tryin to live, bro.

Eating's an issue with a majority of people though no? Know how much actors struggle with this? They weight cut 30 lbs in a couple weeks all the time. Probably 2/3 of everyone I know deals with weight issues. There are a few examples of famous people who don't seem to struggle with it like Snoop & Colby but they are minority. The healthiest way to go is definitely not to be on the weight roller coaster though. MMA or not eat smart 365 now or pay later with health problems & a poorer quality of life.

70776a22215de92f1f6c52c477ef1c82.gif

<GinJuice>

I can speak on this firsthand as a bulimic myself -- I have seen therapists and shit to help with my issue though. Being around fighters for a long time, this is incredibly common as well. Come to find out at age 34, if you start cutting weight in 3rd grade, you may grow up to have a shitty relationship with food.

I cut weight for wrestling from 10-20 and it absolutely has an effect on your immediate state but more so creates unhealthy (or poorly structured) dietary and other lifestyle habits which are compounded by repetition.

No matter how you frame it, dehydrating yourself before engaging in physical activity is bad for your immediate and long-term well-being.

but it always boils down to personal responsibility and consistency, there's a reason why most of the top talent doesn't slob it up off-season.

poor education and poor dietary habits go hand in hand.

Back