eating before morning workout ?

Ivica Truscek

Orange Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
do i have to eat in the morning before my roadwork/bagwork ?
if yes, then what ? something that requires minimum time to prepere and eat/drink
i dont feel like i lack the enery, but whole night + 1 hour of training without food sounds like loosing muscles
i usualy eat right after that

It's not a big deal. If you're more comfortable not eating beforehand, then don't worry about it. Whatever allows you to have the best workout.

True.

I don't like training with food in my belly.

From what I understand, your stomach draws blood into itself for digestion purposes.
Some would say that takes blood away from the working muscle group you are training and thats not benificial.

If I were you, I would try a couple of things and see what works.

Oatmeal is good. Just try eating a little bit, not a whole bowl.

Another good Idea would be some tea and a granola bar. That would provide some carbs and maybe a little bit of energy.

If you are wanting to lose weight, then don't eat much before hand.
But if you are wanting to put on muscle, then I would eat a little bit.

Personally I can't eat much in the mornings because I'm just not hungry. I usually have a MRP and a banana or something.

Boondocksaint said:
If I were you, I would try a couple of things and see what works.

Oatmeal is good. Just try eating a little bit, not a whole bowl.

Another good Idea would be some tea and a granola bar. That would provide some carbs and maybe a little bit of energy.

If you are wanting to lose weight, then don't eat much before hand.
But if you are wanting to put on muscle, then I would eat a little bit.

Couldn't aggree more! I checked with a nutrionist that I used to work with, plus my Kins. professor, and this is pretty much the same advice they gave me. You definlty don't want to eat alot of protein right before you train, as all the blood is going to your stomach to aid in digestion (protein is the hardest thing for us to digest). Make sure the granola you eat isn't loaded with sugar (try getting the ones with hemp seed and sugar cane juice if you can) to avoid insulin spikes and crash.

Apperntyl a little honey is supposed to be really good to before you train. Stimulates blood flow (couples used to eat honey on their wedding night to get everything going, hence honeymoon). So maybe put a little in your tea (if your a tea drinker that is).

Agree with the oatmeal, or if you don't want to eat, try drinking Cytomax. Powerbars aren't bad either.

I usually wouldn't eat before a morning work out. Maybe a quick nutrigrain bar or a cup of juice or something, very little. Eat up after the work out.

Chad Hamilton said:
True.

I don't like training with food in my belly.

From what I understand, your stomach draws blood into itself for digestion purposes.
Some would say that takes blood away from the working muscle group you are training and thats not benificial.

Word.

I read in the book called Body for Life that you're not supposed to eat within 3 hours of working out. I assume it goes hand in hand with what has been said above about the blood and stomach thing. I usually eat dinner at about 5 and workout around 7 so most of the food has had a chance to digest pretty well I think.

I usually eat a light meal of coffee and oatmeal 1.5hours before my morning workout. But I'm also still in the process of adding weight.

It is religon for me to work out on an empty stomach. I will eat some after the workout but never before. Lots of liquids during and I have never had a problem

I actually tried working out on an empty stomach yesterday. I crashed after about 30 minutes. I guess it takes some getting used to.

I think it would depend on your goals. For weight loss working out right in the morning without eating is something a lot of people like. The reason is you have been fasting for 6-8 hours, then you workout and your body would have to get its energy from its fat stores. In body for life he recommends you don't eat for like an hour or two afterwards also because then the vast majority of your recovery energy is also from fat stores.

If you are trying to gain weight, or performance is what you are looking for I'd drink some gatoraide. I think people drink way too much gatoraide, but for a morning workout I'd drink around 6-8 oz like 1/2 an hour before working out, so by the time you are working out it is already in your blood stream. For the workout drink water since by the time you can use the gatoraide you'll probably be finished already.

The digestive system pulling blood away from working muslces is partly true. It is true that your digestive system and the muscles working out are going to compete for blood. I am pretty sure that the musculoskeletal system will greatly have the advantage though, and only VERY little will go to digestive. This is still bad as it can cause cramps and other uncomfortable feelings. I don't think enough will go towards the digestive system to notically have a drop in performance during a regular workout.

Back