Easy and tasty rib recipe

joshetc

butthole hurts from teh gay
Reaction score
This is my personal rib recipe. I've tweaked it over the last few years and figured I'd share it. I'm going to use the simpler version, as I'm sure most people don't have the plethora of spices required otherwise. Please note that ribs are very fatty and loaded with calories. These are perfect for us hardgainers, fatties need not apply.

You'll need:
- Ribs, I prefer pork. Namely baby back, St. Louis cut spare ribs are very good, but very hard to find (can't really speak for beef, if you cook them like this they will probably be very dry)
- Emeril Original Essence (swapped in exchange for about 10 other spices)
- Garlic Salt
- Salt
- Your favorite BBQ sauce

Night before cooking
- Start by thawing your ribs completely
- Add 1 cup essense, 1/2 cup garlic salt, and 1/4-1/2 cup of salt into a bowl and mix lightly (salt according to your taste, if you like garlic a lot you can substitue garlic salt for regular salt)
- Cover completely both sides of the ribs with your rub. Shake off the excess.
- Lay out a sheet of aluminum foil and place the ribs on the foil.
- Either place another sheet of foil over the ribs and seal of a package, or fold the foil up to completely seal the ribs into some sort of a package
- Put the ribs in any sort of baking dish, this is just to collect run-off of juices when you cook it the next day.
- Leave the ribs in the refridgerator overnight.

The morning of
- Set your oven to 250F, about 8 hours before you want to eat.
- Put the ribs in the oven and leave them there all day. There is no reason to open the package and no reason to look at the ribs. I routinely leave my house for hours while they set in the 250F oven.

7 1/2 hours later
- Start your grill, charcoal or gas. You want it to get as hot as possible
- After the grill is hot, take the ribs out of the oven and open the package. Be prepared for steam, open it facing away from you.
- Lay the ribs out, with the "meat" side facing down
- Leave them until the seasoning begins to sort of burn up and fat is dripping off (probably 3-5 minutes if your grill is hot)
- Flip the ribs and apply liberally your BBQ sauce. Put the lid on the grill. If it is charcoal, leave a small opening to keep it from going out, if it is gas, turn it down to low.
- 5-10 minutes later flip the ribs again and apply BBQ sauce to the other side. (you will need to decide, based on the heat of your grill.) This is more difficult with a charcoal grill. Again close the lid.
- 2-3 minutes after that flip the ribs again. The side you sauced first should now be facing up again. You must not wait too long to flip them this time, as the sauce will burn very fast.
- Even if you have a charcoal grill, the coals should be much cooler by now. Apply more sauce to the originally sauced side (I prefer this for extra saucy ribs) Don't forget to put the lid on the grill again.
- A few minutes after the last sauce application, you should be able to take your ribs off the grill and eat them.

A few notes
- Any chefs out there can use just about any dry rub they choose, I used emeril in this as it is basically a compilation of many common spices as well as very easy and not very expensive.
- You will need a large pair of tongs to flip your ribs. By the time you get them to the grill, the meat will be very tender and will be falling off the bone. Be careful
- You may consider lightly oiling your grill rack before putting the ribs onto it. "Pam for grilling" is pretty good for this. Or a towel with oil works just fine as well. Personally, my grill rack is coated and I really don't see a need in using anything other than a clean rack.
- I personally like a mixture of 1/4 "Famous Daves XXX BBQ Sauce" and 3/4 "Famous Daves Original BBQ Sauce" for my ribs.

I don't consider myself the best chef in the world, but everyone that has eaten my ribs has considered them the best they have ever had. I'm sure you guys will like them too.

damn that sounds good, ill have to try that. how many lbs of ribs do you usually make at a time?

It depends, usually 2-3lbs. One rack is usually about a pound. The maximum capacity for my gas grill is about 4 racks, so I've only made more than that once and it was a chore.

Sounds good. Slow cooking is the way to go. Anyone who boils ribs should be slapped.

Back