Ear Drain Question!

A

azizam77

Hey all...you pros....so I was rolling yesterday and my right ear is swollen a bit today...

A little on the inside...like a bruise the size of 2 peas or a lima bean...(sorry I know the description is tough)...

Should I go get this drained? ....How bad does it have to be to get it drained...any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Ho Boy! Here we go again, another ear question.

Okay dude here is the scoop. If you can feel a squishy ball of liquid inside the lining of your ear, and it is very painful when you squeeze it you may have a hematoma. Congratulations! Welcome to the cauli-club! Our president is Randy Couture, vice-pres Macacao and Wallid Ismail.

Treatment is like this:
- draining
- not draining

Pros to draining are: After 72 hours you will be back on the matt and your ear will feel better.

Cons: Costs money

Not Draining pros: Cheap

Cons: More deformity once it heals, very long healing process.

That is all.

Don't forget Saku in your club!

my ear drainage was covered on my insturance. so it costed like $20 co-pay.

Why dont you just get a knife and do it the old fashiopn way. Thats the way my ole' pops used to do it.

-dont forget to show pics

^Yikes! I got mine done at the hospital e.r. It looks pretty normal now, but I can't use regular ear bud headphones anymore and my ear is as hard as a rock.

I used to think that once you had the ears they couldn't get any worse, but I know better now.

So...I went to the doc...he basically said he could drain it but:
1. the bruise is pretty small...its not sever
2. its sort of on the inside, which makes keeping pressure on a pain...

So his suggestion was to let it heal...take a week off and call if it gets worse in 24hrs...just ice and compress until then...

for those that have just tried to let it heal...how long does it usually take??

its not terribly bad...its just I dont want to wind up looking like couture!

TapOutGrapler said:
Why dont you just get a knife and do it the old fashiopn way. Thats the way my ole' pops used to do it.

-dont forget to show pics

Take it from me, use a syringe not a razor blade (or knife)

A large guage needle works ok, but the syringe is the shit if you can get one.

^agreed. Wear your cauli ear with PRIDE (pun intended)!

Why not go to the doctor and have them do it right? If you are concerned about how your ears look, let a pro do it. Otherwise, just leave it alone.

Just had my first drain last Saturday. My ear was already cauli'd a little but this time was bad. Went to the hospital and the doctor drained 3 spots (1 was old and nothing came out). Had the pressure bandage off Monday and as of today my ear is still sore and still noticeable swollen (but better than before drainage).

Picked up some headgear yesterday. I 'plan' on wearing it when rolling but I will definetly wear it when my ears are sore.

Headgear over top of your swollen ear is alright by me...it isn't pussy. Head gear all the time is for pussies, unless you are a lady-grappler; cauli ears on women is revolting!

Back