• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Duterte Harry v2: Duterte Harry, Part 2: Jagged Alliances

Imo there are only two ways to win a war on drugs. One is to treat addicts as criminals, not victims. The other is to legalize and regulate (and tax!) drugs. I think the second way is far more humane and effective.

That does not make $. Even regulated would not fill the gap of prisoners that are in for dope.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/stor...GMANews&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=news
Lorenzana: AFP troops present in 9 PH detachments in Spratlys
Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana on Thursday said government troops have been long deployed in each of the nine detachments of the Philippine claims in the Spratlys in the South China Sea.

“We have nine islands in the Kalayaan Island Group or KIG (Spratlys) that are already in our possession since long ago, including Pag-asa,” he said in a statement to reporters.

On his visit to Palawan-based Western Command, President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the construction of structures and planting of the Philippine flags in all areas claimed by the Philippines in the Spratlys.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We tried to be friends with everybody but we have to maintain our jurisdiction now, at least the areas under our control,” the President said.

Duterte also mentioned plans of visiting Pagasa Island on Independence Day on June 12.

“Mukhang agawan kasi ito ng isla eh (This looks like an island-grabbing thing). And what’s ours now, at least kunin na natin (take what is ours) and make a strong point natin there that it is ours,” he said.

Defense and military officials clarified the President’s remarks, saying that the Philippines would only improve its detachments in the Spratlys and not occupy new ones. Marines and sailors are deployed in a rotational basis in each of the areas claimed by the Philippines in the South China Sea.

“The President wants facilities built such as barracks for the men, water and sewage disposal systems, power generators, light houses, and shelters for fishermen,” he said.

Pressed further on what the President meant by his orders, Armed Forces of the Philippines spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla said that the President was fully aware of the situation in the Spratlys.

“I think what he meant was he wanted to improve the living conditions of the troops stationed there,” he said.

Padilla also thinks that the tensions in the South China Sea would not escalate with the President’s planned visit in a few months’ time.

Read more: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/15...esent-9-ph-detachments-spratlys#ixzz4dZxVL4HR
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

Duterte might be referring to the ten (10) features that we already occupied and in that case his order to occupy is not new. .

Alejano said Duterte should just implement the order on the rehabilitation of structures in the islands as the budget for this project was already approved by Congress.

"Furthermore, what is demanded from the President is not empty rhetoric and shooting-from-the-hips pronouncements but concrete actions particularly non-military actions contained in a clear, holistic, consistent, and sustainable strategy to secure the WPS, the Scarborough, and Benham Rise—a strategy that will guide the actions of all our stakeholders especially the DFA (Department of Foreign Affairs), DND (Department of National Defense) and our fishermen," the lawmaker said.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/stor...=GMANews&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=news

That’s an order from the President and I intend to carry that out,” Año told reporters in a text message.

He said there is no problem with the "occupy" order that only concerns islets owned by the country based on the ruling of the Permanent Court of Arbitration.

“Those Islands are ours per arbitration ruling, so we don’t see any problem.”

He reiterated Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana's statement that government troops are already present on [eight] islands.

“Actually all those Islands, a total of eight plus the Ayungin Shoal, is already occupied by our troops,” he said, adding that all others are occupied by China, Vietnam, and other claimant-countries.

Military Duterte is now born!!!!
17796471_1326528807462732_2530550386842307834_n.jpg

Last edited:
http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/04/10/...ht-sell-islands-to-china-if-ph-gets-very-rich
Duterte says he might sell islands to China 'if PH gets very rich'
Before flying to the Middle East, President Rodrgio Duterte said he may consider selling Philippine islands in the South China Sea to Beijing if the country gets "very rich."

"And maybe when we get rich, very rich I can sell the land to you inyo na, when the spectacle of a war is gone," he said.

Duterte allayed China's concerns over his order to the military to occupy islands in the South China Sea.

"We are just there to claim the island for us because that is really ours and I have ordered the AFP to build structures there to signify atin ito."

"For the information of China we will not place there any offensive weapons, not even one gun," he said.

Old News..
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news...llows-reds-will-kill-you-if-you-oust-me/story
Duterte to ‘yellows’: Reds will kill you if you oust me
Published December 14, 2016 11:44am
By TRISHA MACAS, GMA News
Communists are not only willing to die for him, they will also kill those who will remove him from office, President Rodrigo Duterte said Tuesday night.

In a speech before the Filipino community in Phnom Penh in Cambodia, Duterte reiterated that the "yellow" cannot accept defeat.

"But sinabi ko, I take pleasure in, after the end of the day. ‘Yun na lang ano ko, ‘yun lang ang consuelo ko, na may trabaho ako ginawa, tama. And I do not need the confirmation, ‘yung mga—Alam mo ‘yang yellow, pati ‘yang demonstration. ‘Yang yellow lang ang gusto akong tanggalin kasi hindi maka—They cannot accept defeat," he said.

He did not specify which group wants him kicked out of office, but the previous administration's ruling party, Liberal Party, uses yellow as its campaign color.

"Pero ‘yung mga Left, kailanman papatayin ka pa niyan 'pag tanggalin mo ako. Kasi left ako. Anak lang ako ng mahirap. I’m the first Left-leaning president. But I am not under or I am not a member of the Communist Party of the Philippines [CPP]," he added.

On Monday night, Duterte also claimed that the communists will die for him.

The statement was made as the government and the National Democratic Front peace panels are at a deadlock because of the release of the political prisoners.

Duterte said that he would only release prisoners when a joint ceasefire agreement has been signed by the government and NDF peace panels.

Meanwhile, the Liberal Party had denied that it is plotting an ouster against Duterte. —ALG, GMA News

- See more at: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news...you-if-you-oust-me/story#sthash.N5989LQt.dpuf

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/nation/592238/duterte-reds-will-die-for-me-believe-me/story
Duterte: Reds will die for me, believe me
Published December 13, 2016 7:58am
By TRISHA MACAS, GMA News
President Rodrigo Duterte believes that communists will go as far as dying for him.

Duterte made the statement as he talked about destabilization plots against him during the Wallace Business Forum in Malacañang on Monday night.

He reiterated that the "yellow" was the only calling for his ouster because the Left will never demand for him to step down. By "yellow," Duterte was referring to the Liberal Party that used yellow as its campaign color during the May elections.

"The Reds would never demand my ouster. They will die for me, believe me. That’s the reason why I was able to convince them for a talk. There have been a…It’s starts with the good intention pronouncement and everything and at the end of the day, it ends with a stalemate," he said.

"So I do not believe in that shit that…They will never go for the ouster. Look at their posters. They would just condemn the burial of Marcos. But that was really their line, their favorite lines actually because Marcos was their enemy," he added.

Duterte explained that in protests against the burial of late dictator Ferdinand Marcos Sr. at the Libingan ng mga Bayani, only the "yellow" called for his removal from office.

"You know, in every demonstration…Let me tell you frankly, in every demonstration, it’s the yellow who’s shouting for my ouster. But you will never hear it from the communists because I am the President belonging to the left actually," he said.

"And everybody would tell you that I was crossing the ideological borders even before I became mayor. Find a policemen or soldiers who was --- who was taken hostage there. And they would tell you the person who would go there to the mountains to retrieve them," he added.

Duterte, who is known to have befriended the National People's Army, rescued captured law enforcers from the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) before and after he became a President.

"And you can go to the mountains and ask the regular armed NPA [member]. And ask them, ‘Who is your idol?’ So, let me disabuse your mind about this," he said. —ALG, GMA News

- See more at: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news...-for-me-believe-me/story#sthash.DA4FhbBQ.dpuf

Last edited:
Trump invites Duterte to the WH -

WASHINGTON — President Trump on Saturday invited the president of the Philippines, Rodrigo Duterte, to the White House, embracing an authoritarian leader who is accused of ordering extrajudicial killings of drug suspects and who crudely disparaged Mr. Trump’s predecessor, Barack Obama.

Mr. Trump had a “very friendly conversation with Mr. Duterte,” according to a statement issued by the White House late Saturday. It said that the two leaders “discussed the fact that the Philippines is fighting very hard to rid its country of drugs.”

In fact, Mr. Duterte’s war on drugs has resulted in the deaths of several thousand people suspected of using or selling narcotics, as well as others who may have had no involvement with drugs. Human rights groups and many Western governments have condemned Mr. Duterte for the bloody campaign.

A spokesman for Mr. Duterte, Ernesto Abella, confirmed the White House invitation, saying that Mr. Trump had expressed “his understanding and appreciation of the challenges facing the Philippine president, especially on the matter” of drugs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/30/...-rodrigo-duterte-to-the-white-house.html?_r=0
Gee, could this have anything to do with it -

Mr. Trump has a commercial connection to the Philippines: His name is stamped on a $150 million, 57-floor tower in Manila, a licensing deal that netted his company millions of dollars. Mr. Duterte appointed the chairman of the company developing the tower, Jose E. B. Antonio, as an envoy to Washington for trade, investment and economic affairs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/30/us/politics/trump-duterte.html
Probably has something to do with this as well -
That was not the case with Mr. Obama, whom Mr. Duterte called a “son of a whore” when he was asked how he would react if Mr. Obama raised human rights issues with him.

Would be very interesting to see how the Philippines walk the tight rope between Beijing and Washington after Duterte meets with Trump. There's still a sliver of hope for this dying alliance yet, when it appears that Rody is feeling the heat and no longer has the penchant to talk shit when shit is getting real in the neighborhood.

(Then again, there's always a chance for D30 getting drunk and say something stupid about Trump's mother during the next 4 years, just to see a copy of the U.S-PH Mutual Defence Treaty being shredded in a live White House press conference :D)

Trump invites Rody to the White House to discuss the importance of the US-Philippines alliance
By Alexis Romero | May 1st, 2017​

Trump-invites-Rody.jpg

President Duterte takes a call from US President Donald Trump on the sidelines of a gala dinner for leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations at the Sofitel Hotel in Pasay City on Saturday night. Holding the phone for Duterte is presidential assistant Christopher Go.

MANILA, Philippines - US President Donald Trump invited President Duterte to the White House during a “friendly” conversation that also tackled regional security issues including the threat posed by North Korea, officials said yesterday.

Trump called Duterte Saturday night after the closing ceremonies of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit hosted by the Philippines.

A press statement from the White House said Trump is “visiting the Philippines in November to take part in the East Asian Summit and the US-ASEAN Summit.”

A few hours before the phone call, Duterte said ASEAN was extremely worried about tensions between the US and North Korea, pointing out that one misstep would be a “catastrophe” and Asia would be the first victim of a nuclear war.

He implored the US to show restraint toward North Korea, saying the two nations were “playing with their dangerous toys.”

Duterte told reporters earlier that he would urge Trump to ensure that no war would break out over North Korea’s threat as Asia would suffer “immensely” from its fallout.

“It was a very friendly conversation, in which the two leaders discussed the concerns of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations regarding regional security, including the threat posed by North Korea,” a White House statement read.

“President Trump also invited President Duterte to the White House to discuss the importance of the US-Philippines alliance, which is now heading in a very positive direction.”

Presidential spokesman Ernesto Abella confirmed the invitation in a separate statement, adding that the two leaders also touched on the upcoming East Asia Summit in November “as well as matters of regional geo-political concerns, especially on the situation in North Korea,” which has been showing off its missile and nuclear capabilities, worrying neighbors who fear that the totalitarian state’s activities could lead to a catastrophe.

“But details, understandably, are not forthcoming,” Abella said.

Abella described the conversation between Duterte and Trump as “warm.” The White House said Trump had “enjoyed” the conversation with Duterte and was looking forward to his visit to the Philippines in November.

The US has had an uneasy relationship with the Philippines – its traditional ally – since Duterte assumed office last year. The tough-talking Duterte had chided former US president Barack Obama for supposedly interfering with his bloody campaign against illegal drugs and for imposing his views on a sovereign country.

He also claimed that the US has no moral ascendancy to lecture him on human rights because of its supposed transgressions in the Middle East and the alleged discrimination against African-Americans and Muslims.

When Trump assumed the presidency in January, Duterte said he was confident that he would get along well with the American leader, who has been likened to him because of their penchant for frank and provocative statements.

Last Saturday’s phone call was the second conversation between the two leaders. Duterte called Trump in December to congratulate him for winning the US presidency.

Abella said Trump had expressed commitment to the alliance between the Philippines and the US and has expressed interest “in developing a warm, working relationship with President Duterte.”

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2017/05/01/1695659/trump-invites-rody-white-house

Last edited:
Imo there are only two ways to win a war on drugs. One is to treat addicts as criminals, not victims. The other is to legalize and regulate (and tax!) drugs. I think the second way is far more humane and effective.

g8HUqg0.gif

Would be very interesting to see how the Philippines walk the tight rope between Beijing and Washington after Duterte meets with Trump. There's still a sliver of hope for this dying alliance yet, when it appears that Rody is feeling the heat and no longer has the penchant to talk shit when shit is getting real in the neighborhood.

(Then again, there's always a chance for D30 getting drunk and say something stupid about Trump's mother during the next 4 years, just to see a copy of the U.S-PH Mutual Defence Treaty being shredded in a live White House press conference :D)

Trump invites Rody to the White House to discuss the importance of the US-Philippines alliance
By Alexis Romero | May 1st, 2017​

Trump-invites-Rody.jpg

President Duterte takes a call from US President Donald Trump on the sidelines of a gala dinner for leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations at the Sofitel Hotel in Pasay City on Saturday night. Holding the phone for Duterte is presidential assistant Christopher Go.

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2017/05/01/1695659/trump-invites-rody-white-house

I don't think Trump should be criticized hard for just inviting Duterte the Philippines and USA still has diplomatic relations and the Mutual defense treaty is still in effect so ass the EDCA it is still in progress as long as Trump does not endorse Duterte's asinine view of human-rights and the drug war I think Trump is okay.

It seems Trump is trying to build a coalition to isolate N.Korea the Philippines is still a treaty ally and the USA needs to be sure that they can have access to RPs waters to keep China in check in the event the US decides to have a military intervention in North Korea.

Duterte has also exposed how untrustworthy the Chinese are despite Duterte's warmer stance with China the Chinese still has the guts to fire on our fishermen in our own waters, I mean what more do they need from Duterte? This just shows how you can't deal with the Chinese you are already kissing their ass and they could not even show you an ounce of respect.

wow, first time i visited this part of the forums and i see this:eek:. This is a long read, but bear with me.

just to make it clear to our non-filipino posters, I didn't vote this election nor do i care much about what's going on to be honest, but when I see some things that are just utter bullshit then it has to be called out.:D Now to our non-Filipino posters, I just want you to know that the media has been heavily biased against duterte, to the point that it has been exaggerating and twisting his comments for however it benefits them. This election proved to me how much the media controls politics in a global scale so i'm here for some real talk.

Just to let you know, one of the biggest (or maybe the biggest) channel in the Philippines which is abs-cbn is against Duterte to the point that a day prior to the election, they even showed a commercial showing a compilation of Duterte cursing, and his other bad traits. Why is this you might ask? It is because they're supporting their own presidential candidate Mar Roxas, and their VP Leni Robredo (the current VP) to beat Duterte. It's even rumored right now that the media is sensationalizing these negative things, because they want to have Duterte removed so that VP Leni Robredo can take his place. But those are rumors right now ;), let's discuss the facts.

First I find it HILARIOUS how outside countries view Duterte now as some kind of dictator, the news littered with dead bodies everywhere, bodycount etc etc, but guys, I REALLY REALLY wish you can visit the Philippines right now so you can see that not much has changed. I can still go out safely, do my shit and whatever and I don't even live in a fancy area. Like what duterte said, if you're not doing anything wrong then you shouldn't be afraid. That really is the case right now, with regards to drug addicts being shot or killed. It is what it is, and that's what duterte PROMISED to the people if he wins the election. FOR TOO LONG, THE PHILIPPINES HAVE BEEN RULED BY CORRUPT POLITICIANS, THE STREETS UNSAFE, and it was his goal to fix the Philippines, even if it meant killing addicts, criminals, and even imprisoning government officials. This is what he's doing now, and that's why Duterte "the dictator" has always been getting POSITIVE poll scores from Filipinos. If he's such an idiot then you'd figure that the people would give him negative scores right? TLDR: I find it funny how people are like "get ouf of the Philippines" etc etc, and i'm like what the fuck? I even have a friend who did drugs and he laughs whenever he sees posts like the one @ShinkanPo is making because even he agrees that Duterte is doing things for the safety of people and the exaggeration is laughable.

Second, there will always be morons like @ShinkanPo will call you a "Dutertard" if you defend your views about Duterte because he thinks that his opinion is always right and unbiased. The ones who complain about Duterte are a vocal minority, but you have to understand that a lot of Filipinos are confident with his leadership, and I know you will most likely not believe me guys, but it's something that you need to find out for yourself. Go on vacation here or some shit, i assure you that you won't see bodies littered on the streets. How foreign countries view the Philippines right now is the biggest contrast that I've seen and I can't fathom how you all are falling for it.

Third, Duterte doesn't like Obama and UN because he's trying to fix a fucking broken country, and he's being told how he should do it. The Philippines is one of the most corrupt countries in asia for Christ's sake. He's a president who wants to have an independent country, not a country who's told by other leaders on what to do. He clearly understands that the Philippines has been in the shithole for too long, and it's time to take drastic actions. Do you think Obama and the UN will fix Philippines? Some people don't get the point, and sees this as a diss to America. He even said it himself that the Filipinos are not ready to cut ties with the US due to our culture being strongly tied with them but of course nobody mentions that. A political analyst even said that Duterte seems to be distancing himself from the US so that he can gain favors from China amidst the increasing tension over the disputed islands. And guess what? Filipino fishermen can now fish again in disputed territories and also signed a 24B worth of financing agreements with China. He also went to russia and Putin included Philippines to their budget so that they can create 2 billion more jobs. He also spoke to Trump and Trump even asked for advice on how to fix US issues. Do posters like @ShinkanPo even mention these things? Like the 49% decrease in crime rate and such? Do you even bring up the list of government officials and cops who are on the wanted list to prove that he doesn't give a shit even if you work for the government? Do people even know that the Secretary of Justice is now on her way to getting jailed since it's currently being proven that she's part of a drug ring providing drugs to people in jail? Or do you just like to complain about everything that Duterte says and copy pasting links that favor your argument to mislead foreigners? What do you really gain from doing this may I ask?

I've wasted 20mins of my life on writing this, but I hope this somehow clears up some of the things that are going on. I can list down all the positive things that's happening now but I won't since I don't want to getspend more time on this. With all these being said, I'm not certain what the future holds, but as of now I would say that we're in a much better position than with the previous presidents. I encourage people not to believe everything the media portrays and talk to the people living here instead.

I'm welcome to answer questions if there's any.

I'm trying to get up to speed on this thread so have only just got to this page. If you don't mind I'll have a few questions for you(and the others) once I get up to speed.

It's always nice to hear opposing viewpoints, when it can be a rational conversation. I supported many things that Duterte had promised, like raises for police and teachers.....and fireworks, videoke, and illegal muffler restrictions. The country is much too noisy and undisciplined....and I appreciated his proposals with that. And ridding the country of corruption (the biggest problem, by far) is always good. Yet, he has done none of that, at least in my region (Visayas). Just my report from here.

Hi Steve? As an expat what's the climate like there for your family/personal safety. I had a friend tell me her island (Bohol) had some recent terrorist activity and that the army had to show itself with shots fired. Combined with the Australian government warning that there is terror threats as far north as Cebu that's a concern.
On the flip side an US expat mate (south negros island) has told me its business as usual and everything is being over blown in the media

Not to go against the grain of this thread but I don't understand how he's had time to implement change on the smaller things with everything else going on.

Last edited:
And how so? have you been to the Philippines, he is keeping the peace and trying to stop the spread of the Drugs he is the right pressident for the philippines.

I don't understand this reply, it contradicts your previous view?

crime and corruption in the Philippines is terrible. From a first world country to third world. no one trusts the government. i had a friend in the US visit the Philippines last year and she kept crying seeing all these children on the streets. there's so much more negative shit to write but it would take me all day to write. Like I said look at things on the perspective of Filipinos.

Beautiful country but sometimes its hard to see it around the poverty, neglect and scamming.

I'm not sure I agree(or disagree for that matter). Have we ever really implemented the criminal path in any other but a half arsed manner and in saying this its not like I'm a social angel either.

For right or wrong he's not fucking around,

Please kindly ignore our resident Beijing shill and focus on the discussion instead. Thanks.

I would rather ask and be sure thanks mate. He had input and I was trying to apportion value to it.

I don't understand this reply, it contradicts your previous view?
Sarcasm,

Because that is how most of Duterte supporters on the internet justify his hard stance on drugs. They always say that sort of shit, I mean what the fuck the president is so fucking incoherent admits to killing some suspected criminals in his City of Davao and tells the public he will give pardon to any police officer who will be involved in a shoot out with a drug suspect.

But yeah the Philippines is corrupt but suddenly we will trust the police and think they will not abuse that culture if impunity right?

Sarcasm,

Because that is how most of Duterte supporters on the internet justify his hard stance on drugs. They always say that sort of shit, I mean what the fuck the president is so fucking incoherent admits to killing some suspected criminals in his City of Davao and tells the public he will give pardon to any police officer who will be involved in a shoot out with a drug suspect.

But yeah the Philippines is corrupt but suddenly we will trust the police and think they will not abuse that culture if impunity right?

Well that's the crux of the matter alright, you can't trust them. When a society is desperate as a whole and poverty is rife everyone is suspect especially the people in positions of power ie police, politicians and armed forces.

I've read your whole thread and have a few questions for you, if you don't mind?

Back