Dustin Poirier vs. Diego Brandao: How Will It Play Out?

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
This fight is going down at UFC 168 Dec. 28th, and in my option is a very capable option for the PPV opener. Since coming to the UFC, Poirier has put together a 6-2 record inside the octagon his most recent win a dominant UD over Erik Koch. He's floated throughout the top 10 for awhile and is currently ranked 6th overall. He's got some power in his hands and is super aggressive with his BJJ once it hits the mat.

tumblr_msg4bqANGV1qfrkf9o1_500.gif

tumblr_mf5f3lOddI1qfrkf9o1_500.gif

Diego Brandao is an Ultimate Fighter winner training out of Greg Jackson's camp and has put together a 4-1 record in the octagon and is undefeated in his last 3. He's super heavy handed with some great offensive muy thai, and a super under rated BJJ and wrestling game. He has however had trouble with his gas tank.

3.gif

giphy.gif

In my opinion, it is a great fight, but I'm not counting out Brandao as much as some others might be. What is your opinion of this fight and how do you see it going?

Dustin will survive a pretty heavy onslaught in the first round and beat the crap out of Diego in the 2nd and 3rd.

The first round is competitive with maybe even Brandao winning it. If it gets past the first then Poirier will finish it in the next 2 or just dominate to a decision.

The first round is competitive with maybe even Brandao winning it. If it gets past the first then Poirier will finish it in the next 2 or just dominate to a decision.

I'm hoping we get to see the measured Diego that fought Gambino and Garza. That Diego is a real potential top 10. His BJJ is more of a strength than his stand up IMO. He's got really under rated wrestling and his BJJ is so aggressive.

I'm hoping we get to see the measured Diego that fought Gambino and Garza. That Diego is a real potential top 10. His BJJ is more of a strength than his stand up IMO. He's got really under rated wrestling and his BJJ is so aggressive.

I'm hoping for the same thing. When he gets too out of control it ends up like the Elkins fight. Diego has great talent all around, but when he gets too uncontrollable, then he gasses fast.

I'm hoping for the same thing. When he gets too out of control it ends up like the Elkins fight. Diego has great talent all around, but when he gets too uncontrollable, then he gasses fast.

& To Diego's credit, he was killing Elkins in the first round, but Elkins is a damn beast and would not be put away. I thought it was a 10-8.

I really don't know. I think it's either an early finish for Brandao or 2nd/3rd round submission. Either way I hope it hits the ground early and often.

1.gif

Koch very nearly put Poirer out with that triangle choke in the first. Neither can really afford getting sloppy pursuing the finish, either could be caught. Poirer def. has the edge in cardio though.

2.gif

3.gif

I felt Diego lost some progress with containing his killer instinct. He was so measured and made subbing Garza look easy then he got suckered into a brawl with Pineda and nearly was pounded out in the 2nd after he slowed down.

Poirier is going to fuck him up. I don't see this one being very competitive.

This is an amazing fight for the fans. I got Poirer by D'Arce round 2.

Poirier and Brandao meet in the middle in a fire fight. Brandao clips Poirier and flurries. Poirier survives and goes into round two. Poirier begins to find his range and picks apart a slowing down Brandao. He catches Brandao with a good shot and finishes him with a choke (d'arce) or ground and pound strikes.

Back